Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 headlights

cvega

is it me, or are they really sh*t??? Compared to my seat or my nissan, that use standard halogen bulbs, they seem like candlelight.
I polished the lenses lately and that improved them, but i still find them super weak.
Any lightbulb / LED recommendations?

Are they the Litronics or standard halogen?

Even the Litronics in mine seem noticeably less crisp than the LED jobs on my Mercedes CLS, but still much better than the halogen ones which I had on my last 4S.

Don't bother upgrading the halogen bulb, makes only a marginal difference. Better to go with a HID upgrade (although technically an MOT failure, though the ballasts can be well hidden or simply reversed).

Depends on what you have in there now - theres a lot of love for the Cree H7 type led's, but the NightBreakers are pretty good too.

standard halogen lights.
I might try some nightbreakers.

Can anyone recommend any good H7 fit LEDs that work well on the 996, as also find the standard bulbs poor after driving my other more modern car.

I fitted HID's to mine on high beam (4300k H7R anti glare), take a couple of seconds to warm up when first used then instant afterwards, bloody excellent.
Perfect for fast night country lane blasts, £24 a few 4 years ago.
No problems with MOT testing 2 months ago

Last year I fitted new Osram D2S bulbs units to my Litronics.

I chose these ..
D2S OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Xenarc +200% Bulbs - Next Generation (Pair)
from www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk at a cost of £95 for the pair

I had read that these lamps rarely fail but their output does degraded noticeably over time. I felt mine were poor and a bit of a yellow tinge rather than a sharp white light.

What a difference when fitted and sparked up! Much better output, most definitely a far sharper, whiter look also when viewed from outside. The beam pattern was clearly more defined and just over 2 metres longer.

I would judge it a worthwhile maintenance task rather than an 'upgrade' and certainly cheaper and less MOT unfriendly in overall terms

I've gone with some ebay LEDs mentioned on a few threads. I'll fit and report back when they arrive.

Wasz
are the Xtreme H7 a direct swap or is there wiring/mods to do?

peterzoom said:
Last year I fitted new Osram D2S bulbs units to my Litronics.

I chose these ..
D2S OSRAM Night Breaker Laser Xenarc +200% Bulbs - Next Generation (Pair)
from www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk at a cost of £95 for the pair

Just ordered a pair!

- the state of my litronic bulbs have been at the back of my mind for a while, with me frequently looking at the width of the 'rainbow' spread at the top of the beam whenever its lighting up the wall opposite my garage....

cvega said:
I've gone with some ebay LEDs mentioned on a few threads. I'll fit and report back when they arrive.

Thanks look forward to the update, think this is likely the way to go these days if work OK in 996 shaped lights. Will wait to I hear they are OK before buying a set.

Mikey P said:
cvega said:

Thanks look forward to the update, think this is likely the way to go these days if work OK in 996 shaped lights. Will wait to I hear they are OK before buying a set.

Yes me too.I just worry about the heat that they generate and how this can be dissipated.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back