Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

London area must see?

JTT

Hi All,

I will be visiting with the family on my first trip across the pond (Canadian). We are attending a day at Goodwood FOS, then spending the remainder of the trip in the London area. My son is a huge petrolhead (teen). Any suggestions of "must see" shops or such in the area?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Do you mean specifically motoring-related things to see?

Probably just walking around the Knightsbridge/Kings Road area you will see some amazing cars sitting in the traffic... :D

The Haynes Motor Museum nr Yeovil (a bit of a drive, but virtually next to London in Canadian distance terms!) is brilliant, just down the road from the Fleet Air Arm museum too and Dorset/Somerset is a beautiful part of the country, worth a visit in itself.

Mercedes Benz World in Surrey more nearby, but obviously Mercedes-oriented, more corporate.

I can't recommend anything in the London area but regarding the FoS I would say that as a 'first timer' you'd probably be best off scheduling a 2 day visit. One day is just not enough anymore and you'd go away after one day wondering what the things you'd missed were like.

Thursday and Friday would be good as it's much quieter and therefore easier to get around/see the cars close up. Spend Thursday looking at cars in the pits and show areas. Use more of Friday for watching them go up the hill.

Have fun :thumbs:

T8 said:
I can't recommend anything in the London area but regarding the FoS I would say that as a 'first timer' you'd probably be best off scheduling a 2 day visit. One day is just not enough anymore and you'd go away after one day wondering what the things you'd missed were like.

Thursday and Friday would be good as it's much quieter and therefore easier to get around/see the cars close up. Spend Thursday looking at cars in the pits and show areas. Use more of Friday for watching them go up the hill.

Have fun :thumbs:

Agree with Terry, FOC is now so big its hard to take it all in on a one day pass, go for two days. FOC is in Chichester so on leaving head along the cost 50 miles to the New Forest and Visit Beaulieu Motor Museum spend a day there its probably the best motor Museum in the UK and houses many rare cars including Bluebird.its then only an hour and fifteen mins back up to the smoke (oops London lol). that would IMO give you the best three day (non driving) petrol head visit you could have in the UK. Of course you could combine it with some track day event if you felt the need to drive some exotics there are a number of options around the south of the UK and not far out of London. As Terry said TBH for a Canadian no where in the UK is very far from London its not a very big Island and actually has quite a decent transport network. Maybe a bit closer to the time when you have firm dates and a clearer schedule have a look on here and see if there are any Porsche specific meets happening during your visit , and rent a car and come and say hello. :thumb: :thumb:

A few things in London. All doable on public transport if you are staying in London centre.

https://london.acecafe.com really historic location in British car/bike culture. Lots of meets there including hotrods / bikes on the nights. There is usually a Porsche club gb meet on the week of Goodwood.

https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com - can be combined with Mercedes Benz world already mentioned.

Most importantly!!! The 911uk meet at the fairmile pub might tie in with your dates :thumb: short train ride out of London. 3rd Wednesday of every month from April. Watch for the arrangements in the meets section :thumb: :thumb: entry fee is one box of fuggeos :worship: :worship:

G2 said:
https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com - can be combined with Mercedes Benz world already mentioned.

Most importantly!!! The 911uk meet at the fairmile pub might tie in with your dates :thumb: short train ride out of London. 3rd Wednesday of every month from April.

:yeah: is a very good call G'. :thumb:

Better still, if 3rd Wednesday is possible, Brooklands and MBW (opposite) in the afternoon followed by 'The Fairmile' (5 miles away) in the evening would be great.

T8 said:
G2 said:

Most importantly!!! The 911uk meet at the fairmile pub might tie in with your dates :thumb: short train ride out of London. 3rd Wednesday of every month from April.

:yeah: is a very good call G'. :thumb:

Better still, if 3rd Wednesday is possible, Brooklands and MBW (opposite) in the afternoon followed by 'The Fairmile' (5 miles away) in the evening would be great.

And fortunately it's in the south so UBER has coverage to get between them :thumb:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately, this is a family trip and "Mom" won't tolerate us doing more than one day at FOS :nooo: If it was just he and I, we'd stay the weekend.

My son and I are huge fans of Top Gear, and he would really like to visit the Dunsfold track...does anyone know if you can use show up there and look around? The other stop we were thinking about in that area was McLaren? Is it open to the public?

Plans are to arrive on Thurs, hire car, drive south (from Gatwick) to Brighton where we will spend Thurs and Fri night. Fri, Boy and I are off to Goodwood, wife will stay and browse Brighton for the day.

Sat morning we are heading down to Lands End area, so I can say I visited my family's ancestral home (Treen), say night down there, then head North, drop car back at Gatwick and transit into London until leaving on the following Sunday. This means I'll miss the 911UK meet :sad:

I like the idea of Kings Road stroll. My son loves exotic car hunting! Museums also sound great!

Thought most car nuts are in Sloane Square :dont know:

Sat morning we are heading down to Lands End area

You'll probably be driving the A303 road west to Lands End, it's the most direct if you're starting in Brighton, and you'll pass Stonehenge - you can see it well from the car, no need to stop.

Then an hour later you'll pass the The Haynes International Motor Museum in Yeovil. It's a stunning collection - 400+ amazing cars inc. Countach, 250 GT Cabriolet and '73 RS.

Make time if you can. Check it out:

https://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/

It will take a very long time to drive Brighton to Treen on the Saturday so plan accordingly. It is only 290miles but you will get stuck in a lot of goodwood traffic as you pass close by it. Better to stay further west if you can.

If you're still here a week or so after the FoS there's a "Supercar Sunday" meet in Sloane Street on 14th July. Last year there were over 500 cars there so if you're still in the London area it's probably worth a look.

Regarding your love of Top Gear, I don't believe there's much to see at Dunsfold but on your way up from Treen you should go via the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu as there's "World of Top Gear" there which has loads of the show's vehicles on display and the main museum is great too!

G2 said:
It will take a very long time to drive Brighton to Treen on the Saturday so plan accordingly. It is only 290miles but you will get stuck in a lot of goodwood traffic as you pass close by it. Better to stay further west if you can.

Planing to leave real early in the morning and hug the South coast, hoping to minimize traffic, but maybe wrong approach?

I'll look into that National Motor Museum! Thanks

squelch said:
Regarding your love of Top Gear, I don't believe there's much to see at Dunsfold but on your way up from Treen you should go via the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu as there's "World of Top Gear" there which has loads of the show's vehicles on display and the main museum is great too!

JTT

There is nothing to see at Dunsfold.

Beaulieu Museum is a good shout but, although you can probably see it all in a couple of hours, you might want to consider staying overnight somewhere local to it after travelling up from Treen.

The alternative would be to prepare for a very long day and a late arrival in London - especially if you're also planning to drop the car off.

JTT said:
G2 said:

Planing to leave real early in the morning and hug the South coast, hoping to minimize traffic, but maybe wrong approach?

I'll look into that National Motor Museum! Thanks

Unfortunately That is what everyone going to goodwood on the Saturday does to try and get in early. It is a massive event and very busy at weekends.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back