Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help please - water temp sensor

X7LDA

Hi all,

Newbie to the forum. A few months ago I bought a 2002 C4S Aero and had an on-going issue with a dash warning "Indicator Failure". Water temp drops to zero and red light flashes.

Fault is intermittent however garage diagnosed it and told me two codes were showing up; one for the water sensor and one for the thermostat. Garage was 99% sure the thermostat was the issue and the sensor codes usually clears and doesn't come back. However I've now fitted a new thermostat last month and the light came back on this morning.

Question is - can I fit the new sensor myself? From looking at the engine diagrams it would appear to be beneath the airbox? Any guidance on location, tools, how to change would be appreciated. I don't have the ability to jack the car up so if it needs that it's back to the garage.

Thanks all. Pics to follow!

Yes can be done from underneath and is a easy DIY job , unfortunatly cant remember the size spanner required

Great, thank you. Underneath as in - car in the air - or under the airbox car on all four wheels? Someone has suggested the latter is just as easy.

Lastly - struggling to find the part online. Anyone got any ideas?

2002 C4S 3.6 tip tronic

The 996.1 and 996.2 have different coolant temperature sensors, the early one is a dual unit as the ECU and dashboard each have their own sensor. The later cars have a single sensor and the dashboard gets the temperature data over CAN bus.

MC

Mine is a 996.2 so would be keen to get a part number from anyone in the know... :?:

Ok .. it may well NOT be the thermostate OR the temp sender .. in fact ill even make a bet on it not being either !! £20 to a charity of your choice if im wrong .. and i WILL honor that !

Tiptronic .. just to confirm your car is a tip ? If you have a manual then i loose :D

On the side of the tip box is a grey valve , this opens and closes a coolant pipe that leads to a cooler for the tip box .. it should only open when hot and the tip oil needs cooling.

If this grey electric valve fails then it stays open .. the car basically has another Radiator to cool the coolant ..

What the car sees is the oil temp being continually higher than the coolant temp .. after about 10 mins it says sod this there is a fault with the coolant temp sensor and drops the gauge to zero and flashes the red light to tell you there is a fault .

So in essence .. if you drive the car for 10 - 15 mins and then this fault happens then its the grey valve thats at fault .

To check .. look at the n/s of the tip box and at the position of this valve .. start the car from cold and it should move upwards if its working correctly .

Attachments

• 360_03_261.jpg
    360_03_261.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,341
Newbie here as well :)

Just had the same on my C2 Tip - Transmission cooler valve / solenoid fixed at my indi. the part was about £90 and a couple of hours to sort

deMort said:
Ok .. it may well NOT be the thermostate OR the temp sender .. in fact ill even make a bet on it not being either !! £20 to a charity of your choice if im wrong .. and i WILL honor that !

Tiptronic .. just to confirm your car is a tip ? If you have a manual then i loose :D

On the side of the tip box is a grey valve , this opens and closes a coolant pipe that leads to a cooler for the tip box .. it should only open when hot and the tip oil needs cooling.

If this grey electric valve fails then it stays open .. the car basically has another Radiator to cool the coolant ..

What the car sees is the oil temp being continually higher than the coolant temp .. after about 10 mins it says sod this there is a fault with the coolant temp sensor and drops the gauge to zero and flashes the red light to tell you there is a fault .

So in essence .. if you drive the car for 10 - 15 mins and then this fault happens then its the grey valve thats at fault .

To check .. look at the n/s of the tip box and at the position of this valve .. start the car from cold and it should move upwards if its working correctly .

Thanks for this - definitely worth looking into. You wouldn't happen to have the part number would you?

I assume based on what you've said it's an easy part to swap over given it would appear to be accessible (I assume with the car on a ramp)?

Assuming it is i might as well swap it if the cars up for the sensor anyway. Not something by the sounds of I can do with a jack.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back