Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cruise into North Wales today

mikeluke said:
alex yates said:
:yes:

Make sure you wear your wellies. Once you shove their hind legs in your wellies, they can't run off :grin:

Note to self: make sure you brush up on your cliched Northerner joke to respond to any future posts from Alex.....

Mike

PS - you forgot to add the bit about remembering the velcro gloves....

OY!! you lot leave our girlfriends alone :hand:

Alex is too busy 'looking after' his whippet....

I'm not from Yorkshire!!

Lancashire - born 'n bread, strong in'th arm, soft in'th 'ead!

The return of Marty Wild said:
I want to get over there with the Pork and the Colnago, need to get that done.
Best get over quick before the hot hatch hero's run outs looking for exotica to prove their worth against for perceived bragging rights.

But it looks wet and rainy.....
Makes me feel stressed thinking about all that cleaning afterwards.

Yeah I know it very very well that way and the roads with scenery just beautiful. Good to hear you had a wicked and safe day.

Hay just think if you sent via Ffestiniog with all that grey slate and your grey / silver mota you could pretend you were a Klingon in cloaking mode :p

Tobyone said:

Yeah I know it very very well that way and the roads with scenery just beautiful. Good to hear you had a wicked and safe day.

Hay just think if you sent via Ffestiniog with all that grey slate and your grey / silver mota you could pretend you were a Klingon in cloaking mode :p
You'll be pleased to note that I spent 2hrs cleaning it today as i hate dirty cars. It's now clean and warm, tucked under it cover. I get a sick sense of satisfaction seeing the car under the cover.
I'm not actually sure as to where I went but I think I went through Ffestiniog on my journey, not sure though, as I stopped reading signs when they ceased using vowels in them.

FZP said:
Tobyone said:

You'll be pleased to note that I spent 2hrs cleaning it today as i hate dirty cars. It's now clean and warm, tucked under it cover. I get a sick sense of satisfaction seeing the car under the cover.
I'm not actually sure as to where I went but I think I went through Ffestiniog on my journey, not sure though, as I stopped reading signs when they ceased using vowels in them.
:thumbs:

madalaa said:
Driving in North Wales on a Sunday ....... I hope the dash cam vigilantes weren't about ....... I will never be going back there ........ :( :nooo:

I had a very unpleasant encounter with two dash cam vigilantes on a Sunday drive both of whom threatened to send footage to the police.

I would like to say that I was driving fast but not dangerously but they obviously didn't like to be overtaken or even see someone enjoying the roads, my overtake was a perfectly safe manoeuvre.

I heard nothing from the North Wales police who if they were sent the footage decided that it was not a dangerous overtake but it has certainly put me off ever returning to North Wales so I suppose the miserable 'feckers have got their way.

:nooo:

How do you know about their grievance?

Do want to go over and the EVO Triangle, perhaps like TG killed The Ring, EVO killed North Wales?

madalaa said:
madalaa said:
Driving in North Wales on a Sunday ....... I hope the dash cam vigilantes weren't about ....... I will never be going back there ........ :( :nooo:

I had a very unpleasant encounter with two dash cam vigilantes on a Sunday drive both of whom threatened to send footage to the police.

I would like to say that I was driving fast but not dangerously but they obviously didn't like to be overtaken or even see someone enjoying the roads, my overtake was a perfectly safe manoeuvre.

I heard nothing from the North Wales police who if they were sent the footage decided that it was not a dangerous overtake but it has certainly put me off ever returning to North Wales so I suppose the miserable '***** have got their way.

:nooo:
I am English & live on North wales Chester border & the roads out there are amazing but agree there are a lot of miserable ***** probably jealous of your Porsche even if you were driving safety but firmly, don't let them put you off, better to go on a day like FZP not on a Sunday when the sos are out in force.

I know there's been some anti-PCGB comments on here before, but.... I've done some cracking drive-outs with the NW region in North, Mid & South Wales. Also the North Yorkshire Moors are excellent and un-spoilt with speed cameras etc!
Some of the best roads in Wales are now spoilt by average speed cameras :x
Graham

FZP, thanks for sharing your enjoyable day out with both text and pics too..Looks great.

Madalaa, so sorry to read of your dash cam vigilante experiences though I am in no way surprised and it seems bound to be part of an unfortunate evolutionary experience that could ever be likely to increase with the passage of time.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/feat...nding-police-videos-dangerous-driving-doddle/

Consider if you will, the possible cumulative effect of the following :-

A If one is fortunate enough to own and have learned to skilfully control a machine that can accelerate and brake WELL in excess of mundanemobile drivers expectations.

B If one is also fortunate to be living in an area with many miles of interesting and twisting roads and perhaps may have made use of them over many years to the extent that every curve straight and pot hole has been learned.

C One is fortunate enough to be able to use such roads when they are normally very quiet, however finds one`s self behind the sort of automotive and slow moving ( say averaging 40mph on a road where the limit is 60 ) snake that tends to occur all to often caused by POOR driving of those who would be inclined to tailgate as opposed to overtake. Those same type of drivers also seem unable to even CONTEMPLATE leaving enough braking distance between themselves and the car in front to allow a normal overtaking process entered into by the vehicle from behind without fuss or bother to anyone.

D So there you find yourself, out to enjoy the road and your machine, you have been following the snake for a while there have passed through some straight sections of road but none long enough to overtake the whole length of the snake, remembering that is the ONLY overtake option available as they are all tailgating.... The guy directly in front of you knows you are there if you have a nice loud exhaust, perhaps you are running with dipped headlights in daytime.. (-: BUT the old guy, perhaps me as a tourist and his misses is at the head of the snake in a strange to him hire car driving on what for them is the wrong side of the road...and has not a clue as to anything that is going on behind....

E There is a series of tight bends which you know WILL slow everything right down..... BUT you also know it is followed by a long straight..... you perhaps drop it into second preparing to get it right up on the cam in anticipation.... you are hot to trot...

D As hoped for there is nothing on the straight and you, mirror signal indicate, and open the throttle WIDE in order to make the fastest safest possible overtake and in the process scare the brown stuff out of the majority of those who had not a clue you were even there as you ROAR past, perhaps to the extent the old codger (me) at the front has a heart attack or swerves wildly.... with who knows what consequences....hmm

Yeah there are loads of cumulative possibilities that we may hopefully never ever find ourselves in..?

Perhaps best not to think the Queens highway is any form of race track and sit patiently behind the frustrating snake, of course leaving enough distance between you and the vehicle in front for the nut job coming up fast behind tailgating you in a bid to make HIS move and desperate to make a movie for the constabulary....?

Perhaps just park up for a while in the hope of the road ahead clearing considerably...?

Might envy ever play a part if you happen to be driving say a bright read Porsche.... Nah human nature does not work like that...does it..???? Perhaps that is why in more recent years Porsche seem to have gone for the more subtle hues of black, grey or silver, in the hope that those prone to the more basics of miserable human instincts might not notice us as once they did when we were mostly guards red...???? (-:

I am told that part of the Chinese system of population control may depend on neighbours reporting their neighbours for not complying with the diktats of governance at ALL levels... Some governments might even provide free dash cams for everyone in time.... Oops no need we are happy to pay for them ourselves...hmm.

Yup my Luddite tendencies are getting the better of me...sigh.

Just thinking in type.

I will never have a dash cam in any car I own, and if it comes standard I bet it's faulty within the same day of ownership. :bandit:
The kid in the Polo would have needed new pants if I'd caught up with him, Where he overtook was on a long left handed bend without a great line of sight, and I had to jump on the brakes to let him in otherwise he'd have been odds on for a head on. I don't mind people having a spirited drive, but spirited and dangerous don't have to go hand in hand. What he did was dangerous.

There are many wonderful roads in Wales, and North Wales is close enough for a potentially good day out, yet I rarely bother these days. It's not the dash cam warriors I fear, nor the police state it's purported to be jack-booting towards, but rather the simple fact that there's just too many other people there.

It's (mostly) fine if you're on a motorbike as there are always ample opportunities to pass these catatonic convoys, both safely and legally, but you can forget any notion of making spirited progress in a car - each desperate escape from the rear view scorn of one numpty is invariably curtailed by the next, so you're faced with the joyless game of automotive leapfrog until you either end up on youtube or get tugged by undercover plod.

Makes no difference whether your car has 60 bhp or 600, you simply can't beat congestion on 4 wheels, and unless you're lucky enough to find a decent stretch of clear road all to yourself (almost never) then at best you'll be returning home feeling deeply frustrated.

I always seek my thrills further afield, whether it be up to the Scottish highlands, down to the black forest, the Alps, Pyrenees or my new found favourites Portugal and NW Spain - not to avoid the accusatory gaze of dashcam tw@ or plod, just for the miles and miles of empty tarmac stretched out before you, a sight you so rarely find back home...

chimp911 said:
There are many wonderful roads in Wales, and North Wales is close enough for a potentially good day out, yet I rarely bother these days. It's not the dash cam warriors I fear, nor the police state it's purported to be jack-booting towards, but rather the simple fact that there's just too many other people there.

It's (mostly) fine if you're on a motorbike as there are always ample opportunities to pass these catatonic convoys, both safely and legally, but you can forget any notion of making spirited progress in a car - each desperate escape from the rear view scorn of one numpty is invariably curtailed by the next, so you're faced with the joyless game of automotive leapfrog until you either end up on youtube or get tugged by undercover plod.

Makes no difference whether your car has 60 bhp or 600, you simply can't beat congestion on 4 wheels, and unless you're lucky enough to find a decent stretch of clear road all to yourself (almost never) then at best you'll be returning home feeling deeply frustrated.

I always seek my thrills further afield, whether it be up to the Scottish highlands, down to the black forest, the Alps, Pyrenees or my new found favourites Portugal and NW Spain - not to avoid the accusatory gaze of dashcam tw@ or plod, just for the miles and miles of empty tarmac stretched out before you, a sight you so rarely find back home...

I like your writing style... particularly para 2. Do you write professionally?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back