Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Road trip. Don't want to go to the EU. USA then...

Texas is flat and featureless from what Ive seen between Dallas and Houston. Id be heading north through Colorado and the Rockies. You can then take your car up Pikes Peak, that is a must.

Id love to do this as well, its only when you visit non-metropolis US that everything falls into place. Never had better service.

Im just looking forward to that first photo of a 993 on UK plates sitting in the California sun! :worship: 8)

This sounds awesome - video blog?

:thumbs:

Sounds like this will be a fantastic trip. I take my hat off to you tyinsky. :worship:

If I were a more adventurous type it would be a dream of mine to drive my car along the California coastline.

I take it you've seen this film on Youtube? If not, it's well worth a viewing.

+1 for the above.
The roads around there look great.

What an awesome trip. I'm very envious of your lifestyle, being able to take that much time out for a trip. Well done. :thumb:

Good suggestions and stories or previous trips thank you. And encouragement as part of me thinks doing this is nuts :dont know:

Colorado I would like to do. Once I get stuck into the route options I will see if it is possible within the time I have. Might be at the expense of California but given I've done so much of it perhaps not the letdown it may seem? I haven't been to Yosemite though and it has now been recommended a few times in the thread :thumb:

I did see that video. And I will need to watch it a few more times if I am to put a video blog together (vlog?). Suspect I'll be out of my depth with video but will see if I can manage it. Whatever, I will document with the information and photos.

Marky911, I've not actually told work I want the time off yet. Already booked the flights and was going to bring it up today before deciding not to. :grin: I'm not out of the woods and running free just yet :whistle:

:grin:
I like your style. :thumb:

That reminds me I must put my holidays in at work. I've booked all of our hotels without cancellation as they add a stupidly large amount on for the privilege, sometimes upto £30 per night.
I'd look a bit sick if I couldn't get the time off. :D

Now that's a road trip. I'd love to have the time to do something like this.

:worship:

I took my wife and young kids (8 and 10 at the time) to do a road trip in SoCal in July 2017.

We started in Las Vegas (46 degrees C), headed through Death Valley and up to Mammoth Mountain - we were near the top at over 9000ft, in 21 degrees C, with a metre of snow under our feet in t-shirts!!

We then went through Yosemite National Park (really beautiful) and on to San Fran (12 degrees C).

Down the Pacific Highway, as far as we could - part was closed due to a landslide, and we had some fires nearby along the way.

Stayed a few days in L.A. (32 degrees C) and returned to Las Vegas for a few rest days (with a quick trip to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon) before flying home.

All that in 3 weeks - it was very enjoyable, but we needed the rest days at the end.

Attachments

• img_4333_fotor_182.jpg
    img_4333_fotor_182.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,912
Some nice experiences, tips and things to consider from all the posts, and I have even modified the route somewhat to incorporate some of it already. Thanks :thumbs:

Got the blog in build too. Will do the details stuff on there if I manage to finish it.

2rfgg74.png

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back