Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Loctite as well as a new gasket??

the problem...

Attachments

• image2b_204.jpg
    image2b_204.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 3,204
after initial cleaning...

Attachments

• image1b_204.jpg
    image1b_204.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 3,201
close up inspection shows botch...

Attachments

• img_7061_330.jpg
    img_7061_330.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,197
replacement cover (and new gasket) fitted...

Attachments

• newcover_164.jpg
    newcover_164.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 3,193
Intersting to note the new bolts are no longer cadmium plated.

Endoman, I replaced the bolts last year. They look like zinc plated to me (from OPC).

Yes that's what I got. Previously they were cadmium plated as were the new hex bolts for the varioram manifold. Utlimately not a big functional difference but aesthetcally a disappointment. The modern world, pay more get less.

pietrzj said:
Cameltoe & heel. I was not strictly wrong and when I upload the photos you will see what I mean. The alloy cylinder that the Alan stud clamps down on had corroded and was botch repaired unsuccessfully. The result was that tightening the Alan stud could not put sufficient pressure on the cover and hence the gasket and therefore the gasket did not seal. The alloy tube had detached from the cover ( though not obviously). Therefore I got oil seeping out between the alloy tube and the cover even though the gasket goes right around the stud on the underside. Hopefully the photo will explain in less than 1000 words 🙂

yes now makes sense, good work with the new cover, looking good.

Trev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back