Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 exhaust

Mr Rimmer

Ok I was under my car at the weekend and noticed that the whole exhaust is pretty corroded. Also noticed a ratlle which I'm suspecting is coming from one of the cats, so looking at replacing the whole system with a stainless steel one. Would like a few recommendations or advice from folk that have done this. Thanks in advance.

Paul

The rattle can be the heat shield on the pipe near the cat.
This can be spot welded in place or others have secured it with a hose clip.

:agree:

As long as the silencer seams are not corroded to the point of leaking then you are better off not replacing the system .. unless you want something different of cource .

Silencer blowing and you will end up with an eml due to lambda faults .

The rattles are either the cat heat sheilds .. you replace the fixings .. comon as muck .. if i had a penny for everyone of these ive replaced over the years ... :D

Or its going to be the cowling on the section going to the cat .. just cut it off and bin it or stick a couple of jubilee clips around it .

Mr Arnold Judas Rimmer?

So finally got around to having a better look, it's definitely not heat shield as it's already been removed. It's definitely coming from inside the exhaust system because as you tap it with a hammer you can definitely hear the rattle. It's rather tinny.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back