Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crazy idea? Electric AC Compressor and Steering Pump.

Did this project ever work out?

My thinking on electric PS and AC compressor is such that the RPM of those units is fixed and efficient, unlike when they're connected to the engine and run at whatever RPM the engine run's at.

Sounds like a interesting project - especially as the Climate Control has the A/C either on or off - and on means the compressor is running 100% of the time right?

Actually, I think there's a clutch on the compressor so it isn't run all the time.

Tobesetc said:
Actually, I think there's a clutch on the compressor so it isn't run all the time.

Yes there is a clutch on the compressor which cuts in and out when it reaches the set temperature in the cabin or drops below that temperature by a couple of degrees. A/C works this way, it is either on or off, simple as that. However, I am not sure if an electrical A/C would work like an inverter that ticks over in the background providing more cooling as it receives information from the temperature sensor. All modern home A/Cs are Inverters which are a lot more efficient and economical to run.

ATB :)

Yes it can be made to work. Systems like this are used on EVs and race cars.

But why? All this just to make the engine bay look tidier and to lose some weight.

I think my engine bay looks fine. The AC works well as does the power steering. Keep in mind the spare wheel is part of the front crash structure.

I love the whirs and clicks that the vehicle makes. It's part of what gives it character.

Pickled Piper said:
Yes it can be made to work. Systems like this are used on EVs and race cars.

But why? All this just to make the engine bay look tidier and to lose some weight.

I think my engine bay looks fine. The AC works well as does the power steering. Keep in mind the spare wheel is part of the front crash structure.

I love the whirs and clicks that the vehicle makes. It's part of what gives it character.

I'm with you PP :thumb:

ATB :)

Yes, it is possible to run PAS and electric A/C at the same time but you need to be aware of the power budget of the vehicle as a whole.

On the Singer DLS, we have electric AC and heat and also the PAS pump. It has been a challenge. You need to have a power management strategy which means dedicated ECUs/software to throttle back various components in certain circumstances. The major load in this case is the heating.

AC and PAS together a bit easier since PAS is only really working at low speeds.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back