Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken Key - Advice or Recs pls...!

Simon W

Barcelona
I have a Golf GTI and one of the keys has snapped off the fob - as per photo... I don't have the broken piece anymore, but I do have the other key from which to make a replacement.
Does anyone know if it's possible to have a new metal key part manufactured and attached to the fob? The dealer wants a crazy number to replace the entire unit. My negligible knowledge on how these things work would suggest it should be fairly easy to produce a replacement key and fit it - and all the coding / electronics should be unaffected because I'm using the original fob.
Any thoughts on if this is possible - and if so - names of Co's that can do this...?

You can buy blank replacement key fobs from ebay for just a couple of quid. They come with the key blank bit which you have snapped. I would ask a locl lock smith if they can cut the blank to match your spare one, then either swap the metal bits over - or swap the electronics from inside your old one into the shiney new housing.

Great idea.
Ta!

There is a place that you can send a pic of your key to and they will send you a perfect copy in the post :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back