Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 at auction

rc944 said:
its a funny market...

i saw the 45k c4 at charles ivey the other day. very nice indeed. cosmetically a bit sad but nothing serious

mechanically very strong and very original and with the same owner for around 20 years. wearing brand new contis all round and even unused compressor and plastic gloves in the boot!

very complete paperwork too and slate grey much nicer in the flesh

Sorry wrong car iyt does have ir con

So narrowly missing out on that 4S got me thinking. The other silver 4S on PH is a Cat D and has 16 owners and is the same price. What would you say that is worth?

The car your refereeing too has had:

Full B12 Coil over kit with Eibach springs,
4 x top mounts,
2 x ball joints,
ARB BUSHES X 4,
Replacement brake pipes,
Front wishbones x 2,
Rear wishbones x 2,
Rear tie rods x 2,
steel braided brake lines,
Battery,
Brake callipers overhaul.
Tore B HID's
Full 4-wheel alignment
Rear Chassis legs, corrosion repaired,
C/W Inner wing closing panels,
Bumper supports x 4, c/w associated paint work.
Cat heat shields,
All underside clips and fixtures.
Oil cooler surround,
Oil fan resistor,
Oil Fan Temp switch,
Air Con resistor.
RS Battery cut off switch,
battery earth lead.
Altenator bearing and Belt tensioner sensor
New PA1000 board and 2 x plips and 1 x Master key, Ex Hamilton and Palmer.
Distributor drive belt and bearings changed,
Distributor Caps and Rotor arms replaced,
Major service and all fluids and oils changed.
Along with a whole host of other bits and bobs, done.

These cars are now at an age that what happened 5 or 10 years ago in 'interesting" but it's actually totally immaterial, you buy them on the condition as they are now and what's in front of you, now a 'Cat" will never appeal to everyone but does it make any difference to the driving experience, not one little bit. It matter the day you buy it cheaper than the full market rate and the day you sell again below the full market rate.

That car you nearly bought would have likely needed most or all of the above work carried out, so whilst the headline starting price may appear to be cheap once you factor in a lot of the jobs these cars will need, purely because of there age, the overall cost may not become as attractive it may at first appear.
If on the other hand that car has had all the work done its was the bargain of the century and should have been bought on day one..

abe froman said:
So narrowly missing out on that 4S got me thinking. The other silver 4S on PH is a Cat D and has 16 owners and is the same price. What would you say that is worth?

I may have viewed and driven this car a few years ago. I'd need to look back through some old photos to be 100%, the carbon, grey interior with standard seats, and the dials are very memorable.

If it is the same car, it spent some time in Germany where I think it was repaired (initial accident would have been in the UK, so probably bought as salvage). Unusually for a write off it has all the previous service history. This usually goes missing if a car is sold through a salvage auction so maybe the owner at the time had salvage rights and took it to Germany or sold it on? Speculating, but what I do remember was not being able to find evidence of the repairs in the service history. Lots of receipts and records, just nothing for the repair.

The car drove nicely aside from some pulling to one side which was perhaps what stopped me pursuing it further. As trantorman states above, there are so many suspension parts on the complex 993 set up which can cause the ride to be out, and I did have an expensive visit to Center Gravity with my own car after buying it to cure something similar. It played on my mind that the car may not be straight because of it (not saying it isn't). From memory it went to Northway in Reading shortly after to broker a sale and they have a good reputation and knew the car so could be worth calling them (previous owner was called Joss). A year or two later it was on sale again through HillMoren which look a decent outfit.

My guess is it will drive straight now. I'd take someone who knows about bodywork and get Zingari's colon stick inside the bits along the door sills. Trunk/wing panel gaps were slightly out but poking around in the trunk everything seemed normal.

i believe its one of the 2 993s that trantorman owns

even better!

tyinsky said:
...and get Zingari's colon stick inside the bits along the door sills

vomit2.gif

:grin:

HSC911 said:
tyinsky said:
...and get Zingari's colon stick inside the bits along the door sills

vomit2.gif

:grin:

I do believe that the mythical exploratory tool is termed a Colini Stick . . .
:bandit:

Hi all.:bye: There was a little speculation recently about the manual C2 that sold at auction, So I thought I'd introduce myself as the guy who bought that car. I've been a Porsche owner for a few years, dipping in to the forums sporadically. I think this is my first post but I wouldn't consider myself a 'newbie' to the cars or the Marque.

Firstly apologies to Croydon for pipping you in the auction. Secondly I can give you an appraisal of the car having had it for a month now. I visited the car before the auction completed so I knew most of what I was getting in to before committing. So far my assessment of the car has proven accurate with some pleasant surprises. So the GBU...

Good - the history file is incredible. Running to over 100 pages of invoices, MOTs etc presented in chronological order, I've been able to look back at the car's life and have made contact with the 3 previous owners. The first, artist Ashley Jackson ran the car from new for 6 years. The second owner for 17 years - servicing the car with Strasse for 13 and Kenny Dunn latterly, of those all were in a 3 day window annually. The third owner had all work done within the Porsche Classic scheme. 600 miles ago the Engine was removed and subjected to a full rebuild by Porsche running to 12k. Plus historically all replacement parts are documented as original Porsche equipment.

The Bad.... body corrosion. The car was repaired and had a full body respray in 2013. I work in automotive design so quality and correctness is important as such I would grade the quality of the work 5/10. The usual troublesome areas have been 'dealt' with but without going back to bare metal, how they were dealt with remains an unknown. To be on the safe side I'll be commissioning restorative works to APillar bases, CPillar rear screen surround and sills. Greg Howell has quoted 5-6k for this including addressing the visible corrosion on NSF Fender and NSR Quarter. I'll also be returning the car to factory spec - removing the TechArt splitters and aero wing added by the first owner.

On first appraisal I was fully expecting a complete suspension refresh too but a day at CG with Chris pleasantly confirmed despite being on original Boge dampers and springs they all still perform at a damping coefficient of 0.3. New control arms and wishbones ( all Porsche) were fitted last year. So apart from two bushes, two top mounts and Geo the suspension is ok- for now. Next year will see new springs and dampers, ARB and drop links.

And the Ugly- well not much really. Front Lamps have already been replaced over Christmas by myself.

So what I have got in a slightly risk punt at auction? Based on today's knowledge, a 3 previous owner car with complete history in a classic colourway, in decent general condition. The known known aren't scary and are less than budgeted for. It's not a garage queen, but I'm a car fan not a gallery curator. As such the value of this car is meaningless as it's a childhood dream realised since I watched the film Le Mans with my old man and pestered the life out of him to tell me all about that air cooled Slate Grey thing of beauty in the opening scenes.

A long appraisal by way of introduction but hopefully I'll see some of you in a non virtual world. I'm a GRRC member and based in the Cotswolds if that's close or relevant.

Nick

Really nice to get some insight 👍
Congratulations with the car, great to hear it is in good shape mechanically. Hopefully it will deliver a lot of happy times.

Thanks Tyinsky - looking forward to some good days once the weather improves 8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back