Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ultra Low Emission Zone

wozy said:
What I can't understand is why this is required

....more cars in our cities now, really?

Yes, huge growth in number of cars. Not exact, but something like 20m twenty years ago, +30m now.

Attachments

• cars_150.jpg
    cars_150.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 15,433
I wouldn't want to drive my 993 inside the south/north circular anyway. If I go to London it's by train.

NIBrown said:
Maybe it will encourage the use of less polluting cars :?: or bikes :bike:

The ULEZ is quite harsh on bikes too - a 2007 Fireblade has to pay the same £12.50 charge as everything else.

MisterCorn said:
My 1998 and 2001 996 Carreras are both subject to it, my 2004 turbo isn't.

MC

I've just checked the registrations for 3 different 2001/2002 996.2 3.6's on

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

& all 3 are reported as being exempt.
Perhaps only 996.1 3.4's or earlier Porsche models are subject to it

For anyone interested. More info & maps of the zones here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ulez-where-and-when?intcmp=54312

:roll: dinosaur

Now breathe....

So basically come 2021 any diesel vehicle (almost) built before 2014 will need to pay £12.50 a day. Not sure how people can't see this as a tax on the poorer end of society who would struggle to afford a car less than 7 years old.

Of my little fleet, only the wife's TT qualifies to come into the ULEZ, blimey!!

Maybe the USA holiday planning is getting to you Tynsky but you can't come on here spouting such radical untruths as what you have stated above!

I mean, adverts on Strictly? Really?? It's on BBC for heaven's sake!

Oh, and just as an aside, let's keep it politics free. :thumb:

It's just revenue generation for TFL. Their own figures show the number of cars within the zones has fallen by over 10% since introduction, yet pollution has risen while speeds have fallen.

They need to raise more money, hence the increased charges. It should be noted that revenues fell in 2015-16, due t increased volume of low emission vehicles, hence the need to find other revenue streams. 80% of the money is spent on Buses.

Anything over 40 years old is exempt. Hence I will save the 997 for out of town stuff and use my 40 year old diesel Peugeot to get into town :thumbs: :thumbs:

Whitehorse said:
...TFL. Their own figures show the number of cars within the zones has fallen by over 10% since introduction:

Thanks for pointing that out. So we all agree it works as a way of cutting traffic! Good to hear some policies are successful. Now, about air quality...

Do we all agree that something needs to be done about traffic, congestion and air quality?

If we do, and this isn't the answer, what is?

wozy said:
What I can't understand is why this is required
We've had Euro this and euro that engined cars for years, why is air quality worse than it was 30 years ago when engines only didn't smoke when they were turned off. Thirty years ago central London was gridlocked, more cars in our cities now, really?

Money making and worse, restrictions on freedom are my initial thoughts.

Because the Labour government massively encouraged Diesel engine cars in the UK as being the "cleaner" solution :floor:......... when everyman and his dog knew that was not right :roll:

I live half a mile inside the A406 so will have to pay whether I drive 1 mile to see my Mum or 10 miles to work or half a mile to get onto the M11 to escape London.

I always get a tube to work and never drive the car for only a mile.

I have an Audi A3 that is compliant anyway

The charge will be a consideration for me and no doubt will restrict the number of days I drive my 993. When I do take it out, I will want to make it worth my while.

Might have to buy something V8 powered that is compliant to fill the gap.

The air quality in London fails Euro standards every day.
London has a higher population than it did 25 years ago.
There are more cars, which are stationary for longer.
You can see smog now.
In each car sits one person most of the time.
Driving in London,especially central London needs curtailing, big time.
City cars need to be made more economically viable.
The size of cars used nowadays is obscene.
And diesels over ten years old need killing.
The cr4p that pours out of them, take a look !
Sorry for the negativity.
The art and mechanical understanding involved in driving is dead. Technology killed it. Dumbed down cars that do everything and idiotic driving has killed all the fun.
Soz

:sleepy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back