Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Meet Miss Piggy

ha ha you wish that was all the muck under there to fall out. Not so. When we did ours , we estimated that we had removed over 2-3 stones of crap, dirt in weight. Everything that came off was allowed to drop onto the driveway , let dry and then brushed into a container and weighed .. its like putting your car on a crash diet but then weighing over 2 tons, I doubt that much weight loss will make a difference :)

Where it really accumulates is in the wheel arches. Front wheel arch looking back to the sills and in the rear arch just about everywhere. When you do eventually take off the rear bumper you will find that there is a huge amount where the parking sensor loom sits. Its not a major deal to separate the loom from the rear bumper to clean, just take your time but I found it impossible to diagnose the wiring fault until it was clean

IMG_2480 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

IMG_2486 by Chris Dodsworth, on Flickr

So my first day off work in months today. I spent it finally sorting out the PDC which wasn't working front or rear.

I had a hunch the problem was at the rear, with the sensors above the exhaust tips being very prone to failure, so I whipped the rear PU off

45907686784_2be506fef9_k.jpg

Lots of debris and sand covering everything. I dusted it all off, removing huge quantities within the bumper itself before inspecting the loom completely. Fortunately the loom looked to be in perfect nick.

The sensor over the n/s exhaust tip appeared to be the problem:
31690873737_87cbc3f78b_k.jpg

No wonder it wasn't working. The rubber cover had bubbled up and disintegrated with oxidation and rot.

Luckily the sensors are shared across lots of VAG models. I bought a full set for the rear for about £20 off eBay.

Swapped the new sensors in, buttoned everything back up and voila!
45717567615_45525d977c_k.jpg

Front and rear sensors working again!

:D

Excellent job and i can honestly say ive never seen a melted sensor in 15 years !

I can also say your hands look like mine :p .. too many years doing stuff like this lol .

That reminds me .. working on a car and i thought a wire was getting a bit hot .. service advisor walking past so i said just check that wire does it feel warm to you .. he did ..he burnt his fingers , actual blister !!!

I'm just having a mooch around the Cayenne forums and thought I'd pop in here Raggy.
Good work as ever! :thumb:

Permission to sing the Cayenne song please sir?
Well I'm going to anyway. :D

Ohhh the grand old Cay ay enne,
It cost 80 thousand then,
But not many people want it now,
Cos it only does 10 to the gall-en.

Aaannd, then the tailgate was up,
And then the tailgate was down,
But when it was only half way up,
It was neither up nor down.

Copyright. All rights reserved Nelson Porsche, Stockton, 2019.

:grin:

Haha! So he sent you that little ditty too, did he!? :grin:

Quick update I've been meaning to post for a while - I did a paint correction on the beast a few weeks ago. Using Menzerna 2200 on a cutting pad and then protected with Gtechniq C1.

Its a bloody lovely colour when its finished!

Excuse the untidy garage, discarded blue glove, the lack of 'Isysman' drone footage and the general poor production on the video...

Nice job Raggy!

So that was a 1 stage polish, then seal? Nice.
I always figure anything heavy enough to get the worst swirls out, will leave trails etc if it's own, but I've seen a few of these one stage things lately and they look tempting.

To be honest the detailed who done mine used a one stage polish but I think it could be better. I wouldn't use him again. But that's because he charged me £350 for the privilege.

That colour looks ace. The clarity makes it pop. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Nice job Raggy!

So that was a 1 stage polish, then seal? Nice.
I always figure anything heavy enough to get the worst swirls out, will leave trails etc if it's own, but I've seen a few of these one stage things lately and they look tempting.

To be honest the detailed who done mine used a one stage polish but I think it could be better. I wouldn't use him again. But that's because he charged me £350 for the privilege.

That colour looks ace. The clarity makes it pop. :thumb:

Cheers dude.

Not sure what you mean by a 'Stage 1'? I've removed all the scratches and swirls to leave unblemished paint. Is there more stages to it?

I suppose if it was just removing swirls/holograms that could be stage 1. Then removing deeper scratches would be stage 2. If thats the case then its a 'Stage 2'.

I just tend to do whatever is needed to get the job done. Like my turbo - I was a bit miffed about a couple of scratches and marred areas of paintwork on the bonnet so I just sanded it down:
47154339392_df45d19901_k.jpg

And then went through the polish grades to get the unblemished finish. It looks like there is still some hologramming in this image but its just me not having removed the polish completely.

47154339462_a9fd9399a8_k.jpg

Given the number of hours it takes to do things like this, if someone offered to do it for £300 or so I'd bite their hand off!

EDIT - yes, I know I need to tidy my garage :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back