Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First time 996 Porsche purchase

...I drove manual and tip' before opting for a 'tronic because I preferred the driveability...

Others will say that manuals will attract higher values ... I reckon good cars always sell as do those at the right price...

I am also inclined to think that in just a few years many potential buyers in this performance sector will have become used to 'autos' as the majority of new performance cars including Porsche have sophisticated slush boxes thus be more likely not to be put off by a tiptronic and may even actively seek them?

...if you have a spare £10k in reserve just buy the one you like the look and drive off...values have to be pretty close to their bottom?

The auto tiptronic box is pretty reliable. Early cars had a Mercedes auto box. Manual cars tend to command higher prices (there were far more auto 996 cars sold than manual where Porsche offered the choice). But manual cars also have gearbox faults that can be expensive to fix. Go for the transmission that you like. These cars can consume cash at an alarming rate due to age through wear n tear and so a PPI will highlight things that need rectifying. As someone else posted, if the thought of a sudden £5k or £10k bill worrirs you, ask if you are ready for ownership.

Ok I'm still interested in purchasing the 996 , but a swerve ball in the form of a 2005 manual 2.7 s Boxster on 100k and 2002 Tiptronic 3.2 s Boxster on 80k have caught my attention and will be viewing tomorrow with cash in my hand thoughts please ??

Re: 996

Carpenter100 said:
Ok I'm still interested in purchasing the 996 , but a swerve ball in the form of a 2005 manual 2.7 s Boxster on 100k and 2002 Tiptronic 3.2 s Boxster on 80k have caught my attention and will be viewing tomorrow with cash in my hand thoughts please ??

I don't know of anyone that bought a 911 and then thought to themselves "I wish I'd bought a Boxster". :wink:

T8 said:
Carpenter100 said:

I don't know of anyone that bought a 911 and then thought to themselves "I wish I'd bought a Boxster". :wink:

True, but a Cayman :?:

MC

My concern is the 996 is on 130k , if I keep it 5/6 years add on another 10/15k will anyone want to buy it with close to 150 k on it ? especially when you hear of probable engine rebuilds as normal for the 996 , the Boxster seems the best option.

I bought my 987.1 Boxster S on 48K miles and, after much ribbing by local members PeterS and Chief about being a hairdresser, I bought my 996.1 about a year later on 103K. 4 years on for the 987.1 Boxster now at 61K and 3 years on for the 996.1 now at 108K.
They are very different cars to drive and if I had to choose one over the other, I would opt for my Boxster S without a doubt, it is just so much fun to hoon around in, whereas the 996 commands much more respect if you want to stay out of a tree :grin:

But then again, a Boxster is not a 911, and that was the poster on my bedroom wall as a youngster and a car that I just had to own :worship:

In all honesty, I wouldn`t buy a 996 on 130K as the engine will be tired, maybe just the bottom end, but still tired. I`m actually getting ready to take the plunge for a Hartech rebuild and 3.7 upgrade and that aint going to be cheap, more than you are looking to buy this 996 for :sad:

It`s all down to money unfortunately, can you afford to get the engine repaired if need be, and is the car actually worth it :?:

Carpenter100 said:
My concern is the 996 is on 130k , if I keep it 5/6 years add on another 10/15k will anyone want to buy it with close to 150 k on it ?

Anyone that would buy a car with 130k miles on it wouldn't baulk at considering one with 150k miles.

Seriously, the Boxster is a great sports car and a decent Porsche. It's not a 911 but if it suits your budget for your first Porsche you shouldn't be too disappointed.

Good Luck :thumb:

Great reply , spot on . Unfortunately my hart is ruling my head and leaning pretty severely toward the high mileage 911 , despite the high mileage , that's why they demand bigger money I suppose!!!

...read T8s post about his C2 Tip with IMS failure to gain an insight into what can happen...

And like a previous poster stated an engine rebuild can cost more than the value of the car you are considering ! My 996 C2 Tip experienced IMS failure at 69k miles earlier this year and by the time I had finished the rebuild was close to£15k...

So...eyes open

Wonderful car to own and drive though...very special.

GMG said:
...read T8s post about his C2 Tip with IMS failure to gain an insight into what can happen...

Well I never knew T8 owned a C2 Tip with ims failure. :dont know: :?:

..............or did you just make that up?

:what:

...semantics or pedantry...Au911...different person same issue, same sentiment...

alex yates said:
GMG said:

Well I never knew T8 owned a C2 Tip with ims failure. :dont know: :?:

Not me, but I know who he means.

See -> 911 AU not T8

That's not fully diagnosed as a failed ims bearing. Just metal bits in filter and cam timing out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back