Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 718 GT4 Cometh with 3.8 NA Engine

Zingari

Why 718 :? :eh!:

I really thought this car would be known as a 982 GT4 as that would carry on the 986/987/981 tradition of the 6 pot cars.

Surely the whole thing about the 718 moniker was the link to the famous 4 cylinder cars of the past.

Putting the 718 badge on a 6 cylinder car is a total mis-mash. :nooo: :thumbdown:

T8 said:
Why 718 :? :eh!:

I really thought this car would be known as a 982 GT4 as that would carry on the 986/987/981 tradition of the 6 pot cars.

Surely the whole thing about the 718 moniker was the link to the famous 4 cylinder cars of the past.

Putting the 718 badge on a 6 cylinder car is a total mis-mash. :nooo: :thumbdown:

:agree:

EDIT

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/...yman-gt4-clubsport-previews-upcoming-road-car

Interesting spec though. Should help protect the residuals of the first generation GT4 :?:

agreed re the 718 badge.

however it is still a 982 - that's the official Porsche designation.

The price of the track-only cars is quite something (136k EUR + VAT for the track-day car, or 167k +VAT for the motorsport one) so I wonder what this means for pricing of the new road car.

Shame that most people who want to buy and run one of the road cars won't even get a look in in terms of being able to spec and buy a new car to their own requirements as they will mainly be allocated to people who will sell them on straight away (and hence unlikely to be well specc'ed...)

Good they've kept a NA engine but it seems it's the same engine out of the old Carrera S as before. That's hugely disappointing. Surely it deserves a GT engine? Even if they used the gen.1 GT3 engine and box would have been better.

Hopefully of less interest to speculators with a regular engine - which has got to be a big plus :grin:
And, given how good the 991.1 3.8 actually is, I think this will be an amazing car.
The one thing I think they really need to have on the options list though is the front axle lift system. The very low and protruding lip on the 981 model is just too easy to bash and I'm guessing this will likely be carried over - albeit restyled a bit.

Rhodris-dad said:
......bet the road going car is a Turbo.........emissions and all that "fiddled" nonsense.

I doubt it will be when they have put the NA engine in the clubsport version.

Rhodris-dad said:
Is it a 6 speed PDK or....... a 6 speed or PDK?

Didn't know they had a 6 speed PDK :dont know:

The club sport has the PDK the road car was only a manual.

isysman said:
Rhodris-dad said:
Is it a 6 speed PDK or....... a 6 speed or PDK?

Didn't know they had a 6 speed PDK :dont know:

The club sport has the PDK the road car was only a manual.

Suppose I should read the specs on the website first :floor:

So it is a new 6 speed PDK........probably makes sense.... with all that torque there is no need for an extra cog and you save weight.

But, in production terms i.e. costs...it seems a bit curious to have a new PDK unless they envisage using it for something else in the range or I am missing the point somewhere :dont know:

Race car was/is pdk. It's faster and a 6 speed as 7th not necessary. Previous race car was relatively slow in its class and was upgraded a few times during its life to keep up with the pack apparently.

I don't believe race car engine guarantees a Nasp road car at all. Clearly unlikely to use the GT3 engine else they would have and curiously the latest gt4 regulations have changed do not require manufacturers to use their road going engines anymore.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back