Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery charger

I am in the same position as above requiring a trickle charger.

A couple of questions:

I assume the advice is to purchase one of the CTEK MS 5.0 units with cigar lighter attachment?

Plug into the 12v socket in the centre console or the passenger foot well?

Turn the device on with 15 mins of the car being locked to ensure it operates?

Is there a particular retailer you would advise to buy it from?

Anything else I need to make sure of, thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.

DB

My Ctek arrived today, is it a definite no no to have the unit in the frunk?

I guess I could have it outside the car but then it's pretty much on the street and would need covering?

Is there any modes I need to engage or just plug n play?

Also, can I tell by looking at it the condition of my battery?

I purchased the Porsche charger for the GT3 that plugs into the power supply on the passenger footwell and it's a great product :thumb:

I've charged mine with the CTEK in the front boot and also in the cabin of the car.

@ Magic919 - With the bonnet shut was that?

If you connect a ctek direct to the battery on a 991 then it by passes the battery manager .. in other words the car doesnt know the charge state of the battery and will treat it as if its lower on charge than it actually is .

This can have an effect on things like auto stop start not working .

Im not sure off hand if theres a closer fixing than the far o/s one but any earth point will do other than the neg terminal .

Demort, why shouldn't you use the neg terminal? Risks of sparks igniting gases?

Where should I mount the neg crock clip please?

On a 991 you have a battery management system .. the car needs to know how much charge goes into the battery and out of it , it will then calculate the charge state .. it will allow for ageing and charge the battery accordingly ..

Ie ... if the battery charge is below 85% the auto stop start wont work .

The cetek lead is normally bolted to the battery terminal and earth so you cant get a spark .. you could in theory with the clamp type .. but OPC,s use that type all the time and Salesman connect them .. never seen one blow up yet.

I can tell you its a bit difficult to actually blow up a battery .. it needs to be gassing so a heavy charge being put into it ..

I know .. ive done it !

A tip .. dont weld near a battery on charge .. you end up deaf with your jumper falling appart due to the battery acid :floor:

Marty .. you have a 987 .. you connect it to the battery terminals as you dont have the same system as a 991 ... gasses are vented out of the tube in the side of the battery and vented under the car .

The cetek has a lead with ring terminals that you bolt on .. thats the better type ... you can also run this lead up and out the top of the bonnet to connect the charger to it without having to open the bonnet .

Cheers, Iain.

I've got the charger in the frunk, attached to both terminals.

I sat it on a large piece of slate just in case it got hot, which it didn't.

The bonnet shuts fine as I made the extension cable myself and chose a slim cable. This way, the charger isn't exposed to the elements or Tom, Dick n Harry.

24 hours in now, battery fully charged but not pulsing yet. I'm thinking everything seems safe enough. Does not having the battery cover trim in place make for problems do we think?

This is very strange .. twice you have replyed to this thread whilst ive been online and ive not seen it either time .. :?:

Hmm .. anyways .. charger sounds fine .. battery cover .. yea a small issue there .. if its outside and it rains then water can potentially get into the battery area .. fine if the drains are clear .. not so if they are not .. yours will be or at least should be as i cleared them out on the service but the cover off long term isnt the best .

The cetek system has a small lead with ringlets which you bolt to the terminals .. the lead goes under the battery cover .. you then plug the charger into this .

Thats the only system i know much about im afraid .

Thanks, Iain, I've got the battery cover back on now, even with the croc clips still on there. Water still gets in there though doesn't it, it's by no means watertight in that area.

Appreciate your seeing to my drains, I'll keep an eye on them too.

Might put the eyelets on, I see there is a bulkhead between the batt and the frunk. I had thought I could perhaps run the eyelet cable through to beside the multi changer, but I see now, that's not happening.

I put some road legal HID assemblies onto the Golf the other weekend, those too needed a hardline to the positive terminal and they came with eyelets too. Like most, I couldn't remove the bolt though. So I cut a slit into the eyelets and got them on that way.

CTEK purchased

I bought the CTEK MXS 5.0 and cig lighter connection just before Christmas. It works a treat plugged into the 12V socket in the centre consol in my 991.1 C4s. Perfect!

Thought I would update the thread.

Had the CTEK a while now has been ace in this weather and the battery is fully charged and I no longer get warning messages.

I used the ringlets to connect to the battery and also the extension cable.

My actual charged sits in a dry box (kind uses for when you use an extension cable outside with xmas lights) and sits under the car.

Re: CTEK purchased

dirtybarrys said:
I bought the CTEK MXS 5.0 and cig lighter connection just before Christmas. It works a treat plugged into the 12V socket in the centre consol in my 991.1 C4s. Perfect!

Quick question from a 991.1 newbie :)

I used my CTEK MXS 5 for a number on years on my 997.1 via the cig lighter connection and it was brilliant.

However, I noticed when reading the handbook recently that it mentioned my 991.1 has an AGM battery? Can I tell if the car still has the original AGM battery and should I only use the CTEK in AGM mode?

It probably is the original battery, but even if it's been changed it should be an AGM battery because of the stop/start function the 991 has.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back