Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First time 996 Porsche purchase

Mines the dual row bearing and was mint when I checked it out at clutch change.

..also, are you any good with spanners (i'm utterly ***** at them!)...

if you are then they are super car that you can work on yourself and cut down the cost of ownership. However, you really need to budget around £2k p.a. for servicing and odds and sods...

Outside of that, and my humble opinion, they are simply the best drivers car in the world. But i'm biased... :grin:

Osh
(p.s. - if you do buy her please come back and share some photos and then take an active part on the 996 section; all are welcome

Welcome :thumbs:

My opinion from hours of reading is to not touch the IMS bearing unless it is about to or has failed. It is one of those things you need to factor into the cost of a 996 when you buy one. Hartech have been rebuilding 996 engines since just after they were first sold and have a lot of data and knowledge on their website. At some point IT WILL require an engine rebuild, on some cars that will be later on in mileage / years and some cars it could be earlier on. You need to either set aside a fund for when that time comes or just factor it into your decision process on purchasing.

You mention making an offer based on paint work not being up to snuff but more important is the mechanical condition of the car. Minor bodywork and localised paint repairs aren't going to cost anywhere near as much as dropping the engine to do surgery.

Also comparing the mileage of a 911 to a transit van just doesn't compute :) these engines whilst they are reasonably strong need maintenance and things will start to wear at higher mileages.

I guess it depends what you are after at the end of the day - for example

1. Cheap disposable sports car for weekend fun (and not too worried if the worst should happen)
2. Reliable everyday transport
3. Garage queen

Also as others have pointed out you can save $$$ if you are able to do any spannering yourself.

Recommended to get a PPI whatever you do, £200-£300 is the going rate and at that price why wouldn't you if you are spending £10k?

I bought my 996 in October and the PPI showed up a few minor things that enabled me to negotiate on the price with the seller. I'd also recommend getting the PPI done by a mech that sees them day in and day out as they will know all the peculiarites of the model.

Whereabouts are you based? are you looking country wide?

I think all of the advise is along the same lines and if you can pick it up for under 10k at least you know that should it need to go to Hartech for a 10k rebuild it will be worth 20k when its done as that seems the money for a Hartech rebuilt 996 :thumb:

Bearings that killed mine at 149k, no other bad reports from Hartech about engine condition. Bearings would also be my concern having witnessed this first hand.

First time Porsche

Well this has been real food for thought, I never realised there was so much to consider when buying a 996!.What does surprise me is the possibility that I may have to have an engine rebuild at under a hundred thousand miles!! is this normal for a porch?? I've had many normal cars that I've only ever needed to service etc never have a complete rebuild !! . If this is normal and have to spend 10 k as someone suggested, will it make the said 996 more desirable and reflect in its resale price ? . I'm not buying this car as an investment , as the 996 appears not to be as particularly desirable as other models , although personally I am purchasing mainly based on its looks and to enjoy it

You're buying a £70k high performance sports car for £10k. Engine rebuilds on high performance cars are quite common........high production cars (BMW, Audi, etc.) not so much. A basic rebuild on a 3.4 would be more like £5k than £10k as they aren't prone to needing new cylinder liners and pistons like the 3.6. Although you may not add £5k to the value of the car after a £5k rebuild, you would be able to ask a premium for such work being done.

I'm now at 132k miles after buying the car with 80 odd k on it 5 years ago. I'm not considering a rebuild in the imminent future but totally understand it's a possibility with my ownership.

Its a 20 year old car:

Things break all the time on 20 year old cars due to age.

Its got 133k miles on it:

Things will be worn out on any car with that mileage and need replacing if not already done.

I got mine 5 years ago a chunk under your price. I got it at 110k and now has 136k.
I've replaced:
Anything in the suspension with a rubber mount or ball joint
Engine and gearbox mounts
Clutch and flywheel
Rads
Aircon pipes and condenser
Exhaust boxes both sides
Gearshifter mechanism
Brake discs & pads
I think I'm on my third set of tyres
Window regulators
Rust treatment
steering rack pipes

My IMS bearing was perfect when I inspected it. Cam deviation figure is spot on. Oil analysis comes back fine. Engine is healthy - but main bearings will of course be worn as they are designed to wear.

If the car you are buying doesn't have a recent list like that, then budget accordingly. Its not too bad cost wise if you do the work yourself, but labour will suck up thousands.

Check for rust!

One of the issues with car forums, is that one person reports a problem, and then 5 people repeat that that person has had that problem, and it makes it seem 5 times as likely that you will have that problem. Add infinity.

However, as others have said, it's a high end sports car that is now 20 years old with 133k on it, of course there's a chance that something will go wrong and perhaps something major (my 2005 997 had an £11k rebuild at 49k miles due to bore scoring), and it will cost more than your average Mondeo to fix. There definitely are also more common issues that have occurred in these engines that you're more likely to suffer than others, but reading on here can and will make it seem like it's a given that you'll have these problems during your ownership, when in fact it's not.

Ultimately, don't go into buying a 911 with your eyes closed and with no or minimal finances to address expensive problems IF they occur, the cars might now be affordable at £10k or whatever but they still cost high-end money to maintain and repair. If you can stump up £10k + in the unlikely event that the car will catastrophically explode during your ownership then you can enjoy the car and know that if the worst happens you can fix it and its value will be reflected come sale time, if however you're going to be paranoid every time you start it because you don't have the means to throw £10k+ at it IF it became necessary then IMO perhaps you're not really in a position to own a 911 (yet?!), they're not budget cars to own.

To give you an idea (if you're extremely savy) here's my running costs for 4 years:

JKUeUmy.jpg

One thing I haven't mentioned is that this car is an automatic/ triptronic , should I look for a manual instead ? I don't mind driving either. Just thinking of reliability and maintenance costs,

Re: 996

Carpenter100 said:
One thing I haven't mentioned is that this car is an automatic/ triptronic , should I look for a manual instead ? I don't mind driving either. Just thinking of reliability and maintenance costs,

Tiptronic (note there's only 1 r) gearboxes are reliable and you'll save money by not buying clutches. :wink:

Tiptronic's generally can't be over revved either as it will change up before redlining.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back