Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lower and wider

I e only just got my car and haven't even got 20 miles in it yet. Had a water leak in the passenger footwell on the first day so I pulled it into the garage to dry it out. As it was in there, I did a 3 stage paint correction so it's alot nicer now than in the picture above. Still waxing it when I'm fit( bad back and waiting on an operation).I also have 4 young kids so it's hard to get the time.
I'm wanting to lower it for appearances more than anything. I'll probably go for the poly bushes but not sure. It's only a weekend toy for the better parts of the year. Winter tends to be for whatever little ideas I have like refurbishing work through the car.

Ok so a little update.
Ive bought a set of spax 30mm lowering springs. Waiting on them coming but probably won't get them in for some time depending on health.
I managed to get a quick look underneath the car but still sitting on the ground. The front shocks are bilstein items with the number 844741-22 on the drivers side. There's another number but I couldn't quite see it. Look to be in very good condition. The rears are badly corroded so no sign of part numbers but no leaks and seem to be very tight.
Front arb measures 24mm and the bushes have seen better days so I'll get poly bushes for that. Need to get a better look at the rest but nothing loose.
The rear arb is 19mm. I have a reciept for poly bushes for it and they look in good condition.

I was told this was an m030 car. Does this add up?
It rides very firm but I thought sits quite high

Cheers grifter. I'll have to get it up and get the wheels off for a proper look.

A little update. I've had a nosey round underneath the car and it looks to be m030 spec ok. Bilstiens, dabs of paint on the springs and 23.5mm front arb.
All bushes look to in decent shape except for the arb's so going for poly bushes on those. I'll leave the rest for now until I see how it goes.
As for the spacers, does anyone know the length of the wheel bolts and can you buy longer decent ones as I can easily (and cheaply) make the spacers at work.
It might just be a case of it's easier to buy the spacers and bolts together.
I still need to sort adjustable rear toe arms as well before I bother with any of it.

Thanks lee. I'll get a look through it tonight. Just freezing my bits off at work here atm :eek:
Black look first class

I run 7mm spacers up front with 8" wheels ET52 on 235 rubber. - At rear 12mm on 10" ET65 on 285 rubber.

The amount of camber that your running and the brand of tyre will have an effect on how it looks. - Yoko AD08R for example has a very square profile, almost 90 degree from side wall to tread, while Cup2's are far more rounded from side wall to tread.

my spacers are H&R hub-Centric.

In regards to longer bolts, I run Rennline Studs, which I find excellent and make removing and refitting wheels significantly easier.

http://www.rennline.com/Competition-Wheel-Stud-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/LS06/

Ride height is the GT3 -3mm which may be to low for you, but I get no real issues, the odd scrape on the front splitter, but I run a Cup splitter so its a little lower than an aero/GT3 item.

Studs look like a great job. Didn't look at off set but my front wheels are 7.5 with a 235. Rears are 285/30. Not sure on rim width but the tyres are p zero's and sit way over the rim edge. Fairly well settled on 7mm front and 15mm rear spacers.
Haven't got round to getting them yet as I'm doin other small bits.

235 are a little wide for 7.5" 225 would be better suited.

Check the width on your rears, the Sport Design rears come in 9" most commonly fitted to Boxsters and 10" fitted to 996. (They look identical)

If you have 9" 285 is to wide, 265 would be better suited, 285 works well on 10"

The above may help explain why the tyres sit way over the rim edge, however it could also be tyre design/shape.

I'm considering a set of panamera wheels like coulstars. They seem to look bigger and less cluttered so might suit my colour better. They're not too hard on the pocket but can be sold again if needs be. I can sort narrower tyres if that happens. Might have to sell my carbon steering wheel to pay for a few bits :eek:

Finally got the springs and spacers into the car. Had a few issues along the way. I had 1 broken stud in the rear which was very easy to deal with but first a bigger issue. Some idiot had over tightened the wheel nuts, I'm assuming the broke the rear 1 putting it on. I broke the lock nut, welded it and broke it again. Then I broke the breaker bar on the normal studs. To say I was pissed off was an understatement.
Bought a lock nut removal kit and new breaker bar. Job done.
The rest was handy enough.

I'll be out for a good run today to get the full feel but it looks good.

Attachments

• 6aadabdc_39cb_496c_bb3d_6c43f777ab04_185.jpeg
    6aadabdc_39cb_496c_bb3d_6c43f777ab04_185.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,256
That sits perfect height , once you have been out in it , you will forget all the pain and agro in doing the job :thumbs:

It's amazing the difference if makes. I also modified the rear arb so I'll get a feel for it all today. Going to some photo shoot for a new detailers near my home place. 30 miles each way of varied B roads that I know like the back of my hand :D

That looks spot on.
Aiming for the same with mine, hopefully soon.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back