Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Idle Rough and Cutting Out

Hotpot

Stopping at a junction the other day, my 997.1 C4S almost cut out just before I took off again. I assumed that I had almost stalled it until the next junction and it DID cut out. It started again but the engine sounded rough like it was misfiring or the timing was out. It was struggling to maintain the idle.

Just tried it again this morning, started fine and even sounded better starting from cold. But after leaving it running for a while, it began to splutter and struggle to maintain the idle. There doesn't sound like any other untoward sounds from the engine.

I'm in no way a knowledgable car person but it sounds like fuel mixture or air flow. Perhaps one of the sensors? I'm on the maintenance plan with Hartech who are a few miles away from me but they don't reopen until 3rd January.

Problem is that it is my daily driver. And I'm back to work on 4th January working 12 hour nights. I'm hoping they can let me drop the car off on 3rd January (but I'm worried about it giving up the ghost on the way) and I can then hire a car to get me to work and back.

Can anyone here hazard a guess to what the problem is? Thanks in advance.

I would plug in a fault reader and check for any codes as a first point.

MC

I don't have a fault reader or anything like that. I never do any DIY on the car and servicing and repairs are done by Hartech. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas that won't succeed in depressing me more than I am already. :)

Could be a sensor such as coolant which would give the wrong mixture, particularly if only happening when warm.
I think a code reader is worth having anyway, you can get a bluetooth one for a fiver or less and it can give you a clue as to what is happening. I have a plug in one which cost me about £15.

MC

It could be an O2 sensor or a coil pack starting to fail . Its not easy to diagnose without seeing it as there are a number of relatively small things that could cause this . Having experienced a failing coil pack it does sound very similar to your description it feels more like something serious when they start to fail the car sounds runs really rough, so I would be putting my money on it being that. :thumb:
Do you have AA or similar that you could call out

Phil 997 said:
It could be an O2 sensor or a coil pack starting to fail . Its not easy to diagnose without seeing it as there are a number of relatively small things that could cause this . Having experienced a failing coil pack it does sound very similar to your description it feels more like something serious when they start to fail the car sounds runs really rough, so I would be putting my money on it being that. :thumb:
Do you have AA or similar that you could call out

I do have a breakdown service through my Insurance with Adrian Flux. Wouldn't really trust a breakdown service with anything other than recovery or a flat battery though.

I agree with your thoughts , but as no one is open and a coil pack is a very easy fix it would be worth a try and see it the guys durametric code reader can identify what it is . and at minimum you can then arrange for it to be transported to Hartech on the 3rd. :thumb: would I let a breakdown guy get into anything big on my car mmmm no , but they are only cars and these guys are capable of minor fixes. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
I agree with your thoughts , but as no one is open and a coil pack is a very easy fix it would be worth a try and see it the guys durametric code reader can identify what it is . and at minimum you can then arrange for it to be transported to Hartech on the 3rd. :thumb: would I let a breakdown guy get into anything big on my car mmmm no , but they are only cars and these guys are capable of minor fixes. :thumb:

You might have a point there Phil. Give the breakdown a ring and see what he says. Cheers.

Sounds more like coil pack(s) to me. I run a 997.1 C4S and had the same thing happen while driving on two occasions. First time it was one pack and next time it was two at the same time. The engine coughs and splutters and sounds very rough and lumpy, but still drives. a change of coil packs did the trick...... :thumb:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Flux Recovery are on their way. I'll keep you posted as to what they say.

Ok. Recovery guy couldn't help and basically said I'll have to take it to Porsche. But I have Hartech which is better than Porsche. He told me if I make sure Hartech can take my car on the 3rd January and then ring them up on the day, they can arrange for a truck to tow it to Hartech for me. From there, I'll just hire a car for a few days as I'm sure Hartech will sort it pretty quick.

Ok , well at least you now know they will take it to Hartech , I went past my OPC just now and they were open , not sure if the whole place is open eg service etc but it might be worth a call if yours isn't far away and see if they can look at it tomorrow get the relay to take it there in the morning. :thumb:

Cheers Phil. He DID say it was probably a sensor and not anything serious. I'll wait for Hartech to open as I'm on their maintenance plan and the last thing I want is a huge bill from an OPC.

Hotpot said:
Cheers Phil. He DID say it was probably a sensor and not anything serious. I'll wait for Hartech to open as I'm on their maintenance plan and the last thing I want is a huge bill from an OPC.

:thumb: :thumb: when your there next week ,have a look and see how they are getting on with mine :grin: :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back