Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VW Corrado to 911 ownership

rob_p said:
Out of interest - I don't often see the gen 1 engine vs the gen 2 engine discussed.
For those that have driven both I would be interested in views - they are quite different I think (gen 2 being DFI).
I have a gen 1 3.6 with a hartech rebuild and the engine is an absolute peach - above 5,000 revs it is absolutely brilliant. Somewhere about 6,000 revs it gets a second wind as it 'comes on cam' - very infectious... :thumbs:

Is the gen 2 the same...??

That's a good point, the only comparisons you normally hear about are about reliability rather than actual performance characteristics.

JayEmm on YT (lives near me) did a good comparison not long ago, 996 C4S vs 997.2 C2, worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHITAXR8Tu4

Another ex-rado owner here. '94 VR6 in dragon green.

Great car, lovely wooffly V6.

0-60 in 6.4 was amazing back then.

arthouse said:
resigner said:
Now, the clever money says Gen 1's will be sought after more than a Gen 2, and they are more raw, more connected if you know what I mean than a Gen 2.

I'm not sure i agree with that, maybe i'm biased as i went for the Gen 2, but my thoughts were that the Gen 2 will be more sought after as they're known for being more reliable, and still have the raw analogue feeling to drive, especially a manual. It's a completely different drive to a newer car like my Golf R even though on paper, there's not much in it in terms of numbers. Also there's not as many Gen 2's out there. That's not a dig at Gen 1's btw, i really like them (friend has one, which is for sale btw) so they're still a good prospect :thumb:

I'd also say, buy on condition AND spec. Choose the options you really want/can't live without on the car (PASM/Chrono/PSE/Seats etc) to narrow your search down a bit.

My friends car is here, a Gen 1, Manual, Atlas Grey, not many options on it but some people might prefer that i guess. He's spent a lot on it over the last year or so. Could get it for less than advertised i'd say, he's got his eye on a M240i at the mo.
https://www.aspirecarsipswichltd.co.uk/searchstock/

Remove the engine from the equation, which is what the thread was about the other day, and the Gen 1 was said to be a purer more entertaining driving experience. That was the in a thread I can't remember, but I haven't driven a gen 2, so dont know. What I do know is a gen 1 is an awesome car, so get one, do a Hartech rebuild when and if you need to and not before, and a great car which will be an appreciating classic you have.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back