Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VW Corrado to 911 ownership

Must be something about Corrados and 911's I was also on Corrado forum for years (Bigbluec) had a tidy 1989 16v then a lovely 1994 VR6. will try and find some pics.

I was in a similar position when I bought mine. The only difference was that I was considering a narrow body 997 as I prefer the RWD platform but love the 996 C4S looks.

I went for a 997.1 C2S convertible.

Unless you're absolutely smitten with the 996 C4S looks (as I was), the 997 is a better prospect in almost every way. For the same money you'd be nuts to go with the older car if you're considering both. The values of the 996 C4S are ridiculous currently and if you plan to drive it, you'll not do well with residuals. Similarly, the 996 will be older, so the ones that are in good nick and have had wear and tear items replaced will command a price premium. I saw one car when looking for mine which had mismatched tyres on the rear axle and bits of trim missing. A lot of these are being polished to an inch of their lives and will be hiding a lot of potential work even without bore scoring. Saying that though, You're looking at cars which are over 10 years old now, so you need to budget for suspension and wear items. Every car ever made will require a rebuild of some sort in the fullness of time to keep it running well.

I know there's no point in looking back and worrying over what might have been, but had I had the same budget 2 years before I bought mine, I'd be in a 996 turbo. When I bought mine 2 years ago, the 996 C4S was considerably less than any 997 (not quite a rebuild though) and the 997.2 was at least a Hartech rebuild more expensive than a 997.1. Set a budget and buy the best car that you can - I don't think there's a correct answer here. If a brilliant looking 996 comes up with every box ticked, go for that, do the same with the 997. Be prepared to walk away after a pre purchase inspection (unless you're very confident inspecting it yourself).

If it's truly going to be a keeper, I'd be tempted to buy a cherished high mileage car and save some cash making it your own. Buying a car with an engine which has already been rebuilt will allow more cash to spend on suspension and cosmetics.

Searching the classifieds is very addictive, good luck!

VW Corrado to 911 Ownership

Trying to change this thread title to "Corrado to 911 Ownership" to maybe draw out other previous Corrado owners.

Re: VW Corrado to 911 Ownership

QUIKSTER said:
Trying to change this thread title to "Corrado to 911 Ownership" to maybe draw out other previous Corrado owners.

I'm not sure that you can edit it yourself so I've done it for you. :thumb:

ps. In case you were wondering it was me that split your original posts into a new thread too. :santa:

Yeah I didn't know if I was in trouble for derailing the thread onto Corrados, so apologies if so! :lol:

I had 17 Corrados all in, every type of variant and absolutely loved the things, definitely a 'poor mans 911' as I could never afford a 911 back then and the Corrado had that 2x2 coupe with sublime handling and of course the speed sensitive spoiler and all for a significantly lower price, and they still make my head turn now if I see one on the road.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
Yeah I didn't know if I was in trouble for derailing the thread onto Corrados, so apologies if so! :lol:

I had 17 Corrados all in, every type of variant and absolutely loved the things, definitely a 'poor mans 911' as I could never afford a 911 back then and the Corrado had that 2x2 coupe with sublime handling and of course the speed sensitive spoiler and all for a significantly lower price, and they still make my head turn now if I see one on the road.

That's some going RST - I had 3 which I thought was a few; 2x 1.8 16v and a G60 - all in Tornado Red. Great cars and bar price and engine location have many similarities with 911. Also had a couple of Mk2 Sciroccos, I do love a coupe!

OP, drive them all. a C2S is a very different drive to a C4S. The C4S is heavier and the way it moves itself along feels very different as a result. I drove 4 different C2S' and one C4S when I bought my 997.1 C2S Cabrio about 3.5 years ago. I set myself a budget of £25k, spent £30k, but Gen 2's started at £40k back then, so they were not an option.

Now, the clever money says Gen 1's will be sought after more than a Gen 2, and they are more raw, more connected if you know what I mean than a Gen 2.

Now, don't fall into the trap of "all Gen 1's will blow their engine up". It isn't true. Yes, there are problems, but IMS can be avoided easily by getting a post 2005 car with the newer IMS, and Bore Score can be checked for and prevented if you treat it right. Yearly oil changes, don't rag it before it's warm, use good oil.

I would look for a medium mile 997.1 and bank some money. A good one, assuming you want a coupe, should be around £25k at the moment. Prices have dropped in the last 6 months with all the uncertainty around from brexit etc, not just 911's, but across the entire 2nd hand car market. It's a good time to buy I think!

Get a car checked for bore score, get one based on condition, not on spec, colour, etc. Be slightly flexible. Finding your perfect spec in the right colour with the right mileage etc is hard. I got mine, except it's black and not dark blue.....

Now, I repeat, go and drive some. Do so so you can feel the difference between a bad one and a good one. Don't be afraid of going to see the better dealers like 911Virgin, RSJ, etc.

This is pretty nice and value!

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...-2-s-2d-355-bhp--full-service-history/9131342

QUIKSTER said:

HELLO!

I used to have a VR6 years ago; if I had the garage space I wouldn't mind another one, in Blackberry.

I think 997s look great, and even with Gen1 you don't have to go the Hartech route straight away, just have some contingency fund. I have not driven any 997s, but apparently Gen 2 3.6 is pretty sweet. So, I'd go with option 3 or 4.

Just had a quick look on eBay; the red 3.6 Gen 2 at Dove House would be my choice (not sure if it's fair or strong money though). I like the red Gen 1 3.8S aerokit at Chappell also.

Anyway, good luck with your search but whatever you do, hang on to your Corrado. Yours look great and I love the colour.

My old Ice Grey Violet:
LMP_0548_25.JPG

Winner!

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...h-chrono-and-bose----------------2008/9241039

Gen 2, sports chrono, manual gen 2 as well, pretty rare those!

Now, do try a cabrio, they are such great fun. People always come out with "oh but they flop about because they've had the roof chopped off", what they don't know is the 997 was designed as a cabrio, so it was stiff enough, first, then the coupe was done. Roof down, PSE on (essential!), tunnel blasting, is just the best thing ever :)

resigner said:
Now, the clever money says Gen 1's will be sought after more than a Gen 2, and they are more raw, more connected if you know what I mean than a Gen 2.

I'm not sure i agree with that, maybe i'm biased as i went for the Gen 2, but my thoughts were that the Gen 2 will be more sought after as they're known for being more reliable, and still have the raw analogue feeling to drive, especially a manual. It's a completely different drive to a newer car like my Golf R even though on paper, there's not much in it in terms of numbers. Also there's not as many Gen 2's out there. That's not a dig at Gen 1's btw, i really like them (friend has one, which is for sale btw) so they're still a good prospect :thumb:

I'd also say, buy on condition AND spec. Choose the options you really want/can't live without on the car (PASM/Chrono/PSE/Seats etc) to narrow your search down a bit.

My friends car is here, a Gen 1, Manual, Atlas Grey, not many options on it but some people might prefer that i guess. He's spent a lot on it over the last year or so. Could get it for less than advertised i'd say, he's got his eye on a M240i at the mo.
https://www.aspirecarsipswichltd.co.uk/searchstock/

Y2K said:
My old Ice Grey Violet:

They're all coming out of the woodwork! Corrado Forum reunion :bye:

I've owned a couple of VR6's. Would love to have one tucked away.

My old Storm from a good few years ago.

Attachments

• 01fe7aa7_94a7_4126_89e5_6a0ca5a3a777_185.jpeg
    01fe7aa7_94a7_4126_89e5_6a0ca5a3a777_185.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 1,926
Out of interest - I don't often see the gen 1 engine vs the gen 2 engine discussed.
For those that have driven both I would be interested in views - they are quite different I think (gen 2 being DFI).
I have a gen 1 3.6 with a hartech rebuild and the engine is an absolute peach - above 5,000 revs it is absolutely brilliant. Somewhere about 6,000 revs it gets a second wind as it 'comes on cam' - very infectious... :thumbs:

Is the gen 2 the same...??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back