Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2011 958 3.0TDI resonating at 1000, 1600-2200 rpm

Dam shame you are so far away .. i like jobs like this .. its a challenge !

Keep at it as i feel your getting there .. its a pain i know as all noises are but worth it in the end :thumb:

FOUND IT!!!

It was the gearbox heatshield on the left side of the car. The small one with about 4 bolts holding it on. Or in my case 1. Allowing it to rattle like hell against the gearbox.

The car obviously has a natural resonance at c2000 rpm from exhaust drone I think, but the noise from this part coupled with that was unbearable. And now fixed!'

Thank you for the help. 👍

deMort said:
Stuff me .. well done young man .. hard work Does pay off !

:thumb:

Danke! It's now totally smooth all the way up to 2000 rpm. Where there is still some resonating but I think that's actually part of the cars natural nose. It sounds like exhaust drrrone more than anything. That said I'll keep looking just in case.

The oil leak they were supposed to have fixed is still weeping..

Gern geschehen.

The 2 common oil leaks on the diesel engines that i see are the turbo orange pipe at the back of the engine and above the gearbox leaks .. you usually get away with tightening it.

The other is the through bolts so o/s of the engine block there are several very long and fully threaded bolts .. there was a problem at the factory and these were not sealed correctly and oil can run down the threads.

The Porsche fix was a totally engine strip .. i find removeing the bolts .. cleaning , covering in gasket sealent and refitting works just as well .. and a wee bit cheaper :)

Im not sure if you have the same engine but if you see an orange pipe on the turbo and long .. damp oilly bolts on the o/s of the block then you probably have !

OMG it's driving me nuts now. I've found at least 20 items not done up properly and sorted them. Still not completely gone but it has cleared the way for proper dignosys.

I think I've got the down pipe flex softening issue. Loads of others have talkedabout it. Thing is, the replacement pipes are £1500 so there must be a fix I can do myself?

It's almost not there when cold but, once it warms up it's roght there again.

So frustrating

This is a bit of a new one on me im afraid .. the exhaust down pipe flexi part ?

heat and an exhaust pipe makes sense but ive not come across this fault before so im not sure ... also not sure how an exhaust pipe could cause a noise when its not touching anything .. vibration is when something touches the body when it shouldn,t .

So I know you've all been dying to know what's causing the droaning and vibrations across certain Rev ranges. Well, not sure yet but the big flex on the cat down pipe seems to wobble a hell of a lot at the exact save revs. So, tomorrow I'll be trying the VW hack of screwing hose clips along it to see if it helps. If it does I'll get the flex pipe replaced by an exhaust shop ASAP

Will report back.

Jubilee clips round the flex pipe have cured the vibrations completely.
I'm having the entire cat / down pipe replaced hopefully under warranty but we'll see.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back