Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche launches 718 Boxster T and Cayman T variants

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
New 718 models get sports chassis from S cars, alongside other performance tweaks

Porsche has launched new T performance variants of the 718 Cayman and 718 Boxster sports cars, which will feature the lowered sports chassis formerly only available on the top S models.

The new models will feature the 296bhp 2.0-litre flat four used in the base Cayman and Boxster models and a six-speed manual gearbox, with a number of performance-inspired tweaks alongside the chassis, which is 20mm lower than standard.

The engine has 280lb ft of torque and allows both cars to achieve 0-62mph in 5.1sec, with a top speed of 171mph. Each car weighs 1350kg.

The T designation stands for Touring, which Porsche uses for vehicles with 'dynamic driving performance".

The changes include new dynamic gearbox mounts alongside the active drivetrain mounts, which Porsche says increase precision and stability. Porsche's torque vectoring system, which features a mechanical rear axle differential lock, is included, with a dual-clutch PDK transmission available as an option.

Other changes include a shortened gearshift, 20in titanium grey alloy wheels and the Sports Chrono pack. To save weight, neither model includes an infotainment system – with a storage compartment in its place – although customers can choose to spec one as a no-cost option.

Externally, the T models are also differentiated by grey mirror shells featuring logos, and a twin-tailpipe central sports exhaust finished in chrome.

Interior additions include unique trim featuring black door pulls in the panels and electronic two-way adjustable sports seats with the 718 logo embroidered on the headrest. The cars also get a 360mm GT sports steering wheel, with Boxster T or Cayman T logos on the instrument dials.

Attachments

• 718t_07_161.jpg
    718t_07_161.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 4,033
  • 718t_06_669.jpg
    718t_06_669.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 4,033
  • 718t_05_174.jpg
    718t_05_174.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 4,033
  • 718t_04_119.jpg
    718t_04_119.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 4,033
  • 718t_03_139.jpg
    718t_03_139.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 4,033
  • 718t_02_148.jpg
    718t_02_148.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 4,033
  • 718t_01_134.jpg
    718t_01_134.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 4,033
Shot in the West Highlands & Skye by the look of it .......

Cars look great , the 982 looks sharper than the 981 , I wonder what they sound like ......no,.... reeeeeeally sound like ?
( heard an early model starting in an OPC once and was totally underwhelmed .was convinced it would be a sheep in wolfs clothing ...)
I know there is a lot of talk that they are great, but it's generally from new to Porsche individuals .....
But I have an older friend who swears by the new car and he is an accomplished amateur motorsport player! And I respect his musings ......
For those of us who have lived with the six pots , it's a hard act to follow on from ....

I might have to bite the bullet and actually try one ...😏

911TEL said:

Cars look great , the 982 looks sharper than the 981 , I wonder what they sound like ......no,.... reeeeeeally sound like ?
( heard an early model starting in an OPC once and was totally underwhelmed .was convinced it would be a sheep in wolfs clothing ...)
I know there is a lot of talk that they are great, but it's generally from new to Porsche individuals .....
But I have an older friend who swears by the new car and he is an accomplished amateur motorsport player! And I respect his musings ......
For those of us who have lived with the six pots , it's a hard act to follow on from ....

Like a Sewing machine with a Corsa performance exhaust :grin: :dont know: :nooo: Such a shame as they look amazing. For the price of one of those you could get the actual wolf (the GT4)

How much are they, are these positioned over or below the standard car? Not sure I understand the point of this, just buy an S... :?:

Not really in the market for one but if I were I might be tempted by the 'no-cost option' infotainment system rather than the cubby hole :D

spongebob squarepants said:
911TEL said:

Like a Sewing machine with a Corsa performance exhaust :grin: :dont know: :nooo: Such a shame as they look amazing. For the price of one of those you could get the actual wolf (the GT4)

Sums it up regarding the aural side of it....I suspect that the dynamic ability of the new car is a big improvement ....personally I don't thin' I could go for a 4 cylinder car ,having had a GT4 and loved it in every way ......more likely I shall await the next GT4 as I am convinced even Porsche in their present state wouldn't make the schoolboy error of placing the 4 cylinder into the new model ........

But I should try one to be able to make an informed opinion ......

I'm waiting for the announcement they'll be dropping a NA flat 6 in the new GT4 so that it will wipe 20 bags off the 981GT4 and then I might buy one :grin:

Roro said:
How much are they, are these positioned over or below the standard car? Not sure I understand the point of this, just buy an S... :?:

That was the general consensus when the 991T was launched but I suppose it offers something a little different for those that are bothered. 911T had lightened glass I think. I like them but not on the chunky 5 spokes.

As for the Cayman and Boxster above they look great. I still hate those 5 spokes though so would have to have the ones that are on the Boxster.
They do sound naff though so yep I'd always choose a GT4 over one.

The cars above look great in red mind. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Roro said:

That was the general consensus when the 991T was launched but I suppose it offers something a little different for those that are bothered. 911T had lightened glass I think. I like them but not on the chunky 5 spokes.

As for the Cayman and Boxster above they look great. I still hate those 5 spokes though so would have to have the ones that are on the Boxster.
They do sound naff though so yep I'd always choose a GT4 over one.

The cars above look great in red mind. :thumb:

I don't think the 718T is much lighter than the standard cars though, which is where the 911T scored some points over the standard 911. If I was in the market for a new 718 I'd find the extra couple of k for a pair of bucket seats and get an S instead. The price point of this car is too close to an S in my view to make it worthwhile. Nice Porsche marketing (yet again) :grin:

Attachments

• 68ff7b2d_eff6_4b51_8672_1746ed4f8868_240.png
    68ff7b2d_eff6_4b51_8672_1746ed4f8868_240.png
    734.2 KB · Views: 3,777
Oh, just realised. It's probably also a 'damage limitation' exercise to prevent loss of sales to Alpine... the A110 has been getting glowing reviews

Zingari said:
I'm waiting for the announcement they'll be dropping a NA flat 6 in the new GT4 so that it will wipe 20 bags off the 981GT4 and then I might buy one :grin:

That's an interesting notion. Personally I think they'll use a turbocharged flat six from the new 992 range. But I welcome the push on prices. I'd love a current GT4 but see it as a £50k car rather than a £75k one :dont know:

c£50k being my current budget is purely coincidental... :angel:

Roro said:
Oh, just realised. It's probably also a 'damage limitation' exercise to prevent loss of sales to Alpine... the A110 has been getting glowing reviews

Getting access to the reviews of the Alpine A110 is easier than getting access to a test drive, trust me. :pc:

I'll chase them again this morning :frustrated:

Was going to say I recognize every single location in those photos.

Have to admit I quite like these, but It would better if they were a limited number IMO. I love the seats. The noise debate will go on for ever, I bet they are one hell of a car to drive, I think the Cayman is the best looking and proportioned car Porsche currently have on offer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back