Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Plug leads

AndyS

Hi Guys,

I spotted that one of my plug leads is cracked, so will need to replace them all.
Couple of questions:

Frazerpart are doing the set for £260 delivered (14 parts) - is this a reasonable price?
It's £299 at Design 911 - but I don't have a discount code.....

Should I be changing the Dizzi caps and rotors at the same time?

Is it a DIY?

Cheers

Andy

I guess that is a fair price, you could try eurocarparts or parts4less.
As for changing the dizzy caps and rotors, that depends on their condition and when they were last changed. If it was me I'd change them.
If you have original leads these will all, or should be numbered to which terminal of the dizzy and cylinder they correspond too, if you worked in a methodical way then changing them is diy job, I wouldn't go pulling all the leads off in one go but change one, maybe two at a time.
Also, while the dizzy caps are off check the condition of the dizzy itself, you may of read an earlier post I put up?
might just save a problem later down the road.

Jack D

Really good write up by Jackal :- http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/plug leads/993_plug_leads.html

I actually got my leads from OPC, always worth checking their prices.
I think you need to be a contortionist to do this job especially on a non-vram. I had to lift the manifold up a bit to get at the retaining blocks.
Take a pic of the leads on the caps before removal with numbers painted on the routing of the wires is tricky otherwise and get hold of a proper tool.

Attachments

• s_l640_192.jpg
    s_l640_192.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4,945
  • porsche_993_primary_xl_169.jpg
    porsche_993_primary_xl_169.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 4,945
  • porsche_993_secondary_xl_242.jpg
    porsche_993_secondary_xl_242.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 4,945
Behr or Bosch? There is a difference . . .
:bandit:

Beru are the leads supplied by Porsche but use Bosch caps and rotors. There have been problems with Beru dizzy caps coming loose as they do not have lock washers. A plastic trim tool is good for removing the plug caps. When replacing the plugs themselves (another contortionist experience) Jackal's site is great. I have a Snap-On plug socket with built in uj the Porsche tool is crap.

Attachments

• s9714mkdfua_160.jpg
    s9714mkdfua_160.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,793
Should be OK with just the leads then...?

I did have all 12 plugs changed at the last service less than 1k miles ago

I know how these things spiral out of control......

I've got a cracked lead - so I may as well change them all.
If I'm changing them all, I may as well do the caps and rotors.
If I'm doing that, I may as well get the distributors refurbished.
To help, I may as well drop the engine.
While that's out, I'll get any oil leaks sorted
Replace all the heat shields
Get the top end re-built?
In fact - go to 3.8!

Back in the real world - just a set of leads this time I think :thumb:

Indeed, I just managed to hit the brakes at 3.8.

You'll get a good idea to how good or bad your dizzy is once you've taken the caps off.
I wouldn't rule out doing that job if it needs doing though.
I know what you're saying about things spiralling out of control, like so many, I've been there done that.

Jack D

I did a fair bit of research this time last year, mainly on Rennlist and the consensus as mentioned above was Behr Leads and Bosch Caps & Rotors.
Definitely worth doing but shop around for prices as they can vary considerably. :thumb:

C.

I've got Magnecor leads. Many good reports from US owners too. They were custom made a few years ago - the company didn't make the leads for a 993 (turbo) at the time, but used measurements from my originals. Not sure if they're now available as a catalogue item. They work well and the light blue colour actually looks rather good too.

AndyS said:
Behr.....

Good or bad?
Apologies, finger trouble, I meant Beru. . . they were a load of trouble!
:bandit:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I'll start with the leads, and asses the caps and rotors while at the job. If they look 'iffy - I'll look for Bosch replacements.

Definitely no mission creep this time - getting the scuttle done last time cost me over 15k!

I changed mine with Beru items, my old leads were shot, they're a perfect fit lead for lead and appear excellent quality, I went for new Bosch caps too. Plus did a refurb on of my disi including new belt.

Hope to fire the beast up over Xmas....

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back