Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine drop

Endoman said:
Not so good with the aluminium suspension components. I asked for silver grey and they did them white, they look awful. It's so thick I can't get a bolt through the mounting points.

Whilst blast and lacquer can look ok when fresh it can chip and peel quite quickly and start to look pretty bad. Have you considered getting them vapor blasted then use a more simple spray on protectant?

34726877190_e7b3e9e9ce_b.jpg

Those look really good, I'll be doing that on the suspension arms with Protectaclear.

jev911uk said:
Endoman said:
It was Chris that chose to use Galvo hence the immediate post weld application of high zinc primer, a bit tricky on the inside of the box section.
He did paint the inside of the repair with red lead primer before welding.
I've been searching for a varioram inlet for ages so I jumped at this one. I found a 928 vac reservoir which looks identical to the 993 one, just need an airbox and ECU now. Following this thread :- https://rennlist.com/forums/993-for...ram-conversion-step-by-step-more-or-less.html

If you haven't already bought the 928 egg box you can just use the small 964 vac canister for the Vram instead. I've had this setup with a 993 Vram in a 964 for quite a few years now and always has enough vac to drive the actuators.

vram-done3.jpg

Did you get the inlet from a C2 or C4 car?

Good luck with the swap.

The Vram is from a "C2" and the egg box was only £20.
Which ECU are you using?

Endoman said:
The Vram is from a "C2" and the egg box was only £20.
Which ECU are you using?

Cool, the C2 manifold makes your life easier as you will have all the correct vac hoses around the back of it for your car.

Good deal on the egg box, silly not to at that price.

I got the loom and ECU with the vram engine so its all just standard 993 vram kit. I think you will like the mod, some nice extra grunt low down and not lacking up top, ours made 317 bhp after a remap.

I had my inlet vapour blasted as it had gotten pretty grubby over the years:

jNJwCyL.jpg

Be careful with the bottom VR actuator as they have a tendency to leak all over your engine, so I replaced the large seal shown here in this pick as well as the O rings on the actuator shafts, which are crusty at this age .

N4iZvgt.jpg

fu3S9Xx.jpg

lZ2s97B.jpg

Be careful if you split the VR inlet, clean the mating surfaces meticulously and use the correct loctite sealant, also be careful replacing the sliders see below:

8z53BKJ.jpg

Trev

John, have you got your engine on a stand?, makes life much easier.

Also the correct 911 Motor yoke helps a lot, happy to loan mine to you:

gKrdw6v.jpg

NWSKIaR.jpg

Trev

Endoman said:
I've been searching for a varioram inlet for ages so I jumped at this one. I found a 928 vac reservoir which looks identical to the 993 one, just need an airbox and ECU now. Following this thread :- https://rennlist.com/forums/993-for...ram-conversion-step-by-step-more-or-less.html

Hi, You don't necessarily need the whole DME, you should be able to run with just a chip from a Varioram DME. You could see if someone has a chip they've removed for a tuned one, or perhaps try a cheap tuned one to see if it works in your DME and cycles the Varioram actuators.

If it works then you'll need a just a chip and not £1000+ DME.

Regards
GR

Gearbox is mated up, clutch slave on (MPL) rear mount fitted so thx for the offer Trev but I'm past that stage now.
I've been concentrating on the chassis legs, strut mounts and engine compartment. I've done the inside of the chassis rails with https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-internal-frame-coating-14oz-aerosol.html
It looks like thin green snot and smells terrible.
The ECU I have is an early '94, 993.618.123.02 and according to Joe a chip won't work I need the '95 ECU 993.618.123.03 plus chip which I may have, I'm checking with Steve Wang, or 993.618.123.06 plus chip or 993.618.124.11 which will have the 55pin connector and Vram actuation.
Great info on the seals Trev thx.
The Vram I've found has been played around with on the induction side it hasn't arrived yet but there is no MAF or airbox. Fortunately all the vac pipes and actuators are there. it may take a while to collect all the bits so I can refit the engine with original sytem for summer. At least I'll have a great rear end.

Attachments

• img_8454_08ca6b347e32ebebc26673c0288905acbfb22d52_774.jpeg
    img_8454_08ca6b347e32ebebc26673c0288905acbfb22d52_774.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 5,242
  • mama_mia_698.jpg
    mama_mia_698.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 5,242
I have my popcorn out for this one John, awesome...

Not loving the home made intake pipe otherwise looks like you have a good haul of bits...

Trev

Not much done this week it's bloody freezing in the garage. Replaced a rear brake line, the one that hoops over the gearbox, a lot easier with the engine out I can't imagine how it could be done otherwise. Still collating info and bits for the VR conversion (it's going to be expensive).
When the manifold arrives I'll bring it over to you Trev for appraisal.
Stramge that the motor sound air box complete is cheaper by £100 than the std one. It seems to be unusual to do a VR conversion in the UK but commom in the States where thay have the added problems of SAI, drive block and OBD2.
9M have done a few with Motec ecus but I'd prefer to keep it all Porsche.

If you haven't already bought the 928 egg box you can just use the small 964 vac canister for the Vram instead. I've had this setup with a 993 Vram in a 964 for quite a few years now and always has enough vac to drive the actuators.

vram-done3.jpg

Did you get the inlet from a C2 or C4 car?

Good luck with the swap.[/quote]

I followed your conversion with great interest. From posts by Bill Verberg he seemed to have a problem with loss of vac when racing initially using an extra small vac reservoir. When you did the conversion did you just swap the connectors in the engine fuse box? It seems a bit more involved in a 964. You appear to be unique in the UK for a Vram in a 964. I've got a problem with the manifold seller, I said I didn't want the after market ecu so he stuck it on sale again at $300 and didn't offer a refund!

All the bits located and the Vram is with Fedex in Chorley should arrive tomorrow. Next thing are the a/c pipes which will need the later type. I'll take it to Wayne Schofield for fine tuning as it's not going to be an exact match for the '96 chip and '94 engine. I'm not bothered about max bhp but it would be nice to have the extra mid range torque and flexibility of the vram induction.

Big box arrived with manifold, not a lot missing. Bolton OPC supplied most of the missing bits and yes Trev, that actuator gasket needs replacing. All the bolts are missing from the inlets but all the vac lines and electrical connectors are there (on my loom anyway). Ian at Bolton OPC sends his regards.
When you had the manifold vapour blasted how far did you strip it down?
I'll need details of your man.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back