Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor covers, should I and if so which one?

Grey996

I'm feeling a bit sorry for my car all alone out in the cold and was thinking about a cover. There seem to be two very polarised views on them and also whether the expensive ones are worth it.

I've used the Halfords ones on a few cars that have sat out prior to restoration and they've been great for keeping the worst weather at bay. I do use one for my camper but it's not fully waterproof and though it says it's breathable I am worried about moisture trapped in there actually speeding up any issues.

So do you and which ones do you rate?

Thanks

Recently bought the super soft stretch indoor cover from these guys on the recommendation of the retailer and indie I go to (who both use their outdoor covers as well as indoor) and very pleased with it.

https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/car-covers/prodcat_1052

Also noticed that these covers are sold through PCGB for a modest members discount.

Thanks, yes they popped up on Google and the reviews are very good.

£181 for our size so a bit more than I'd hoped but I think it's a case of buy cheap buy twice with these things?

They do two outdoor versions, anyone have any experience of either or how the fit is?

Cielo, by cover your car. Fits like a glove.

eB5Ku2b.jpg

ZVQeWJk.jpg

x44atXE.jpg

Thanks, that does look a nice fit. They describe the Cielo as their lightweight version, is yours under a car port?

Excellent Quality
I have one for each car

Generic medium size fits both the turbo and R8

Grey996 said:
Thanks, yes they popped up on Google and the reviews are very good.

£181 for our size so a bit more than I'd hoped but I think it's a case of buy cheap buy twice with these things?

They do two outdoor versions, anyone have any experience of either or how the fit is?

Used a car cover for one winter and it fitted very snug, but i found it chafed the paintwork, so i don't use one now. There are no elements that will harm the paintwork if its kept waxed.

Thanks, yes that is a concern, did yours have a fleece layer?

Any dirt on the car will rub as the cover moves. I personally wouldn't use one. I've seen a car rubbed right through the laquer before on all 4 corners.

Thats the issue with covers, the car has to be clean, very clean, and preferably dry before one is put on, which isn't always convenient.

Mmm, as I cycle to work I only use the car a couple of times a week which got be thinking a cover would be good when it's stood out but I can't be washing and drying it after each drive before I put the cover back on.

Just like wiping a dirty car with a cloth or using a sponge to wash it that's not being rinsed often enough in clean water would cause swirling, same problem with a cover I would have thought, no matter how soft the lining.

The people that recommended those covers to me are using theirs on cars that are not being used regularly or in the case of the retailer are always clean with the covers removed for viewings. With your use pattern it may be worth a wax/sealant protection regime instead.

PS. saw a genuine Porsche 997 outside cover in the for sale section that looks like a great buy, may worth having that for the times when the car won't be used for more than a few days :dont know:

Thanks, I'll give it some more thought but maybe they're not for me. Luckily I waxed the car yesterday!

I'm not sure about the OEM ones, they're described as 'water resistant' and don't look as good as some of the other four season covers out there, certainly not when looking at rrp, they do have the logo on though 😎

Another thing Ive heard off is that microbubbles can form in the paint as well. Indeed I had an older car that got this in a few places after sitting under cover (fleece lined) after it got wet.

Its near on impossible to keep the cover completely dry indie or dirt free so Id just think about best way without one. The main issues are your brakes discs pitting from lack of use to be honest.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back