Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 disappointment

I'd love that Akrapovic (bargain!!) but it would eat up pretty much the entire fund for my boy's MX5 project. And I think my wife would hate me, as she already frowns at early morning cold starts with my 9972 (PSE + Hayward & Scott). We live in the country, where it is very quiet, and apparently the house shakes...

spongebob squarepants said:
Read all the above and then to avoid the 'Vauxhall Corsa syndrome" after spending a fortune just buy a 991 :grin: :thumb:

I appreciate you're being light hearted here, but a 991 is probably £15 to £20k more than a similar spec 997.2, so the "spending a fortune" comment doesn't really stack up.
You could get a nice exhaust (Akra, Kline etc.), keep the stock one, revert back at sale time and sell the Akra/Kline all for waaaaaay less than a 991.
Anyway, in my experience the 991 is a rather different car compared to a 997 so it's all a bit moot anyhow.

Oh, and if you get the right exhaust it'll sound nothing like a Corsa!

Counter Of Beans said:
Read all the above and then to avoid the 'Vauxhall Corsa syndrome" after spending a fortune just buy a 991 :grin: :thumb:

I appreciate you're being light hearted here, but a 991 is probably £15 to £20k more than a similar spec 997.2, so the "spending a fortune" comment doesn't really stack up.
You could get a nice exhaust (Akra, Kline etc.), keep the stock one, revert back at sale time and sell the Akra/Kline all for waaaaaay less than a 991.
Anyway, in my experience the 991 is a rather different car compared to a 997 so it's all a bit moot anyhow.

I am with you on the financial front and also dont think the 991 sounds any better than stock 997.2 both with or without PSE which I realise is all the noise many , want but when your after a more race car sound none of the OE stuff does the job. as you say COB it can be removed at sale time and maybe half the cost recovered , I also like the soundbite of your custom made job sounds IMO quite like the cargraphic set up but for half the cost. I can honestly say no one has ever said mine sounds like a cross with a coke can exhaust :grin: also worth noting that you can have more or less crackles and pops by getting a remap as well as an exhaust. :thumb: :thumb:

benbuhagiar said:
Counter Of Beans said:
I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

Just my 2p's worth, regards, Mike.

When I spoke to Topgear, they advised a Gundo on it's own won't make much difference, it needs the Bypass pipes to compliment it.

I could be wrong but do the Gundo and Topgear Valvetronic exhaust system have a similar noise output? The main difference being the Gundo hack is permanent but topgear can be switched by a button?

Hi Ben , no the gundo is more base like, a bit like how these cars sound when the engine is cold , the topgear has a more sporty note. but like all things you get what you pay for the gundo is basically a PSE on loud and for £300 isn't a bad option ,then there are the mid range exhausts like topgear ,millet, designtek etc that have a more sporty note then there are the high end which are more race car like and budget dependant start in stainless then titanium and finally Inconel each metal moving up a step in race car sound and cost. but exhaust note in very personal so what sounds good to me may not to others and visa versa.

Phil 997 said:
Counter Of Beans said:

I am with you on the financial front and also dont think the 991 sounds any better than stock 997.2 both with or without PSE which I realise is all the noise many , want but when your after a more race car sound none of the OE stuff does the job. as you say COB it can be removed at sale time and maybe half the cost recovered , I also like the soundbite of your custom made job sounds IMO quite like the cargraphic set up but for half the cost. I can honestly say no one has ever said mine sounds like a cross with a coke can exhaust :grin: also worth noting that you can have more or less crackles and pops by getting a remap as well as an exhaust. :thumb: :thumb:

You need a run in Herman yellow :grin: On a serious note I've yet to hear a 997 that's anything like a 991 :dont know:

Counter Of Beans said:

One of my chums just bought a 991 S in mint condition for 50 k, one owner with 40 k on clock, full OPC history, granted it was missing the PSE but the difference isn't 15-20 k :thumb: the gap has narrowed, so on a serious note rather than spend a fortune on an exhaust I'd still be inclined to go the 991 route :dont know:

My colleague recently got a 991.2 S and I was surprised at how muted it sounded. I felt like a total badass in the office garage when I fired my car up. He looked a bit deflated. :eek:

This thread has prompted me to take the car out of the garage so that I can wake up the neighbours in the morning.

Thanks guys, great advice! The akrapovic YouTube link sounds really nice.

In essence this is the type of sound I'm after...https://youtu.be/YFTmCPqssRg

Might just have a look at a 991.1 with PSE - everyone says they sound more like what the 997.1 with PSE sounded like - but seen the feedback on here suggesting it is quieter than the 997.2 which is contradictory :(

To the poster who has H&S and wants to do the gundo hack, don't would be my advice - my one sounded a mess after...very loud but in a 'farty' like way and genuinely embarrassing. It is the first time my heart has ever sank when driving a car after a small modification. I wished that I put the bypass on and not messed with the mufflers.

After have a 996 with PSE perhaps I'm being unrealistic.

Counter Of Beans said:
I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

That sounds lovely!!!

Is there any drone ?

@spongebob, I'm not quite sure what your thoughts on the 991 are :chin:

I once heard of a chum who ended up with a sooty tailpipe after a chance meeting with a Balmoral Green Range Rover that caught his fancy...

Be careful you don't end up the same way! :wack:

:grin:

It's easy, but a new TVR Griffith and a 997.1 as cheap as you possibly can :)

I know someone who knows someone who bought a Cat D 997.1 recently for £14k....... What a bargain, it is apparently perfect....

BigLion said:
Counter Of Beans said:

That sounds lovely!!!

Is there any drone ?

The yellow 991 in the soundbite was not stock , they just dont sound like that. As I have said exhaust note is very personal and many will be very happy with the sound of the OE exhaust , but there are also others that want a bit more aggressive note. and I have to say to my ears the custom 2k exhaust that COB has does sound good and is a decent price for what it is. :thumb:

OP, my bro just got a full system done on his heavily modified RS3 by www.deutschtech.co.uk near Milton Keynes. I'm not on the VW/Audi Group scene but apparently the chap they have doing their exhausts is an artiste :thumb:

That CGR system is the best I've heard on a 997.2.

Is it a 3.6 or 3.8? Looks like badge is just carrera not carrera S?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back