Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 disappointment

BigLion

I owned a 997.2 c2 a few years ago and I ended up selling it after a few months as was really disappointed with the exhaust noise. I tried adding a H&S bypass and then 2 inch pipes to the side mufflers but the end result wasn't what I wanted ( I felt like I was driving a teenager driving a Saxo with a silly exhaust). I then gave up and sold the car.

However I've got the 997.2 itch again as a friend is selling his car - since quite a bit of time has elapsed since my previous ownership, did anyone ever work out what to do with the exhaust to make it sound more like a 997.1 with PSE?

If not, I may need to look at a 991.1 instead - which will cost a lot more! :(

Thanks

So you want it to ROAR :cat:

Gundo hack :dont know:

:thumb:

H&S bypass IS the gundo hack, which OP doesn't like :)

Get a 991 with PSE if noise is a deal-breaker

BigLion said:
I owned a 997.2 c2 a few years ago and I ended up selling it after a few months as was really disappointed with the exhaust noise. I tried adding a H&S bypass and then 2 inch pipes to the side mufflers but the end result wasn't what I wanted ( I felt like I was driving a teenager driving a Saxo with a silly exhaust). I then gave up and sold the car.

However I've got the 997.2 itch again as a friend is selling his car - since quite a bit of time has elapsed since my previous ownership, did anyone ever work out what to do with the exhaust to make it sound more like a 997.1 with PSE?

If not, I may need to look at a 991.1 instead - which will cost a lot more! :(

Thanks

Being 100% honest, whatever you do with the 997.2 it will never get near a 991.1, the sound is just amazing. It's a whole different ball game and something that seems to have slipped by most enthusiasts.
There's an Akrapovic 997.2 system for sale on here at a very good price, can't comment on that,having never heard one may dramaticllay improve? :dont know:

H&S and Gundo are different mods.

H&S eliminates the centre silencer on the DFi 997.2. Gundo modifies the back box so the gas passes through less sound deadening material.

I have both on my car and sympathise with the OP.

What type of Gundo did you have, the one shaped like a banana or the short pipe that links inlet to outlet?

Pipe diameter of 1.75" is best size for no droning. The banana is slightly quieter as some sound deadening is still used.

I've PSE and H&S and find that they really compliment each other.

The 997.1 with gundo sounds great, but the additional noise is the engine slowly eating itself :D

This is my 2p on your dilemma. the 997.2 doesn't count as good as the 997.1 and the 991 sounds even more tame with std exhaust and as you say a lot more money. The reason you were never totally happy with the exhaust note was probably due to how you hear the note as everyone is different and if you want that race car note you won't get it from the cheaper exhaust mod options eg rear box delete or a gundo hack.and TBH from your description you won't even be happy with an OE PSE . Budget 4or 5k for a proper exhaust then fit Akrapovik or Cargraphic or one of the high end exhausts full system with 200 cell cats and rear muffler delete with valved sports boxes so you can switch it off loud on Sunday church run lol.. the systems are stainless and lighter so better sound and more BHP. have a google at soundbytes of the high end exhaust manufacturers . heres a couple to wet your take buds lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGHbzSVLL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLBztCLtry8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq95mO3C0iY

Or you could contact these guys and get yourself made what is IMO the best exhaust note I have heard in a long time .lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSTFBftrIsU

I would have thought that a set of revised manifolds and sports cats would increase the exhaust noise on a 9972 S, as well as a rear centre silencer delete.

I have to agree with the OP. Bought my 997.2 in May and the biggest disappointment is the exhaust noise.

I test drove a few 997.1 and they do sound better.

I have since fitted a H&S bypass, which has made an improvement but I still want more. Gundo hack in the new year.

MaxA said:
I would have thought that a set of revised manifolds and sports cats would increase the exhaust noise on a 9972 S, as well as a rear centre silencer delete.

For many the answer would be yes Max, but the OP is clearly looking for a particular sound hence my suggestions :thumb: :thumb:

benbuhagiar said:
I have to agree with the OP. Bought my 997.2 in May and the biggest disappointment is the exhaust noise.

I test drove a few 997.1 and they do sound better.

I have since fitted a H&S bypass, which has made an improvement but I still want more. Gundo hack in the new year.

Hi Ben, I think its worth trying the gundo as its only a couple of hundred quid but if your still not happy then maybe you also need to look at the type of thing in my other post. the OP has tried bypass and gundo and still wasn't happy so thats why I suggested other options. Personally other than the custom job is my other post I do think the best sounding exhaust is Akrapovik and thats coming from someone who has a full cargraphic race set up on his 997.2 4S which I do like but still think Akrapovik is even better. :thumb: :thumb:

I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

Just my 2p's worth, regards, Mike.

Funny I was just browsing the forum and saw this Akrapovik for gen2 at £3300 thats a coincidence and someone should grab it quick , mine is centre outlet AKA GT3 style otherwise I wouldn't be giving anyone a heads up and would have grabbed it myself. :thumb: :thumb:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=128804

Counter Of Beans said:
I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

Just my 2p's worth, regards, Mike.

When I spoke to Topgear, they advised a Gundo on it's own won't make much difference, it needs the Bypass pipes to compliment it.

I could be wrong but do the Gundo and Topgear Valvetronic exhaust system have a similar noise output? The main difference being the Gundo hack is permanent but topgear can be switched by a button?

Read all the above and then to avoid the 'Vauxhall Corsa syndrome" after spending a fortune just buy a 991 :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back