Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creating a Rallye car replica

I think its the arch clearance and big chunky tyres that.

So the suspension - Ohlin R&T wound up to max height?

MaxA said:
... but to answer your question, I see no reason why you shouldn't create a replica (it's no different from adding a bunch of Martini/Rothmans/Gulf vinyl decals to make it look like a race car), but I think you need to decide if you want to create a full on Dakar/Safari rally car (the big wheels/massive ride height/roof rack set up), a gravel spec rally car (raised ride height, aluminium skid plates, knobbly tyres on smallish rims), or a tarmac special (wide semi-slicks, cage/buckets, spots) and then do a proper job. It might turn out to be pretty expensive if you want to rock the proper fully adjustable suspension though.

The easiest one for me wold be the tarmac one as i have 3/4 components and doing the lights wouldnt be hard.

I guess we dont see the 996 in the Dakar style due to brakes vs wheels/tyres vs arch clearance

Gravel spec - im not sure what the smallest would be to fit over my pccb callipers

kingston said:

I don't know but when I get home I shall go and have a look at my other car to see how far I might wind it up (let's call it a winter set up) on the à–hlins R&Ts. And if I soften it all off, I'll get all that pitch, squat and roll too...

MaxA said:
kingston said:

I don't know but when I get home I shall go and have a look at my other car to see how far I might wind it up (let's call it a winter set up) on the à–hlins R&Ts. And if I soften it all off, I'll get all that pitch, squat and roll too...

If you could please, whats the other car that has Oh R&T?

It's no Porsche, it's my 2006 MINI Cooper S. I used to run Bilstein B14s but they are very firm for the day-to-day (especially in the city) so I swapped them out for à–hlins DFV R&Ts (the adjustability is really desirable for winter/summer/trackdays). It's currently pretty close to the stock ride height for winter.

Ah fair enough, im running MeisterR Gt1's on my scooby which i can raise but a good few inches if i want to (currently sits an inch tween the tyre and arch).

I wonder how the handling would be affected in a Pork by raising it up?

kingston said:
Ah fair enough, im running MeisterR Gt1's on my scooby which i can raise but a good few inches if i want to (currently sits an inch tween the tyre and arch).

if you raise the centre of gravity it'll roll more but if you run a Scooby you'll know that a bit of compliance can really help on the road (I still miss my old WRX). There's far less space for height adjustment on my MINI, which either rolls only a little or doesn't roll much at all.

You`ll need a new bumper :D

Attachments

• th8rp2d5zl_129.jpg
    th8rp2d5zl_129.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,482
Autokennel made a Martini tribute for one of their clients about 10 years ago that looked nice: https://bringatrailer.com/2008/10/21/1983-porsche-911sc-martini-safari-rally-tribute-2/

1983_Porsche_911SC_Safari_Rally_Bjord_Waldegard_Tribute_Front_1.jpg

I was just reading about a Leh Keen Safari 911 on Road & Track and then on Petrolicious. Link below.

It's all over the internet, and makes a lot of sense: for me driving in the city can be pretty tough with all the cobblestones, manhole covers, tram lines, pot holes, road works, steel slabs, not to mention the slush, snow and ice that accumulates by the end of the winter. :dont know:

https://petrolicious.com/articles/running-into-a-safari-911-built-by-leh-keen-is-the-absolute-best

MaxA said:
kingston said:

if you raise the centre of gravity it'll roll more but if you run a Scooby you'll know that a bit of compliance can really help on the road (I still miss my old WRX). There's far less space for height adjustment on my MINI, which either rolls only a little or doesn't roll much at all.

Are the Ohlins not adjustable in height or have i misread it?

Sorry, should have said my scooby is a FSTI. I need to get camber bolts for it before i can jack it up to a height i want.

I think ill have to look around rennlist and see if someone else has done it already.

As for the one above with the rallye raid bumper, i wont wonder where the rads went

kingston said:
So i keep seeing 964's(?) being jacked up for the Rallye/Paris Dakar look and im liking it alot.

However, to purchase one of these cars (one is going to the Autosport Auction in Jan), then you need to part with 60-70k.

So as im not interested in doing that, im wondering what components youd need to do it?

IM quite tempted to do this as recently ive been driving down undulating roads.

Not sure I'm clear on what you're asking, you want to turn your 996 GT3 into a 911 Safari?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back