Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

I think the higher notes are clearer, and the speakers themselves have more volume. I need to work through the Becker menu's to make sure that it's not doing any signal processing I think. It's got a huge number of sub-menu's with regards to this stuff.

I've only changed the front speakers at the moment, the amp I am just looking at for ideas as to where to fit it.

Almost!

45308567965_2eb46e3960_b.jpg

The JL is actually much closer in size to the Nokia than I had thought:

45308568185_02aabed832_b.jpg

So I think I may try to put it in the stock location, rather than where the CD player went, but I need to do some bracket design/cable routing before I make a final decision.

45308567495_bb010078be_b.jpg

I have a large differential in that location..
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak7OTAfmTrHxv1zootjs14hAVazu
You can see the original amp to one side of centre.

The CD changer was against the nearside wing.

Sounds like you need to reset everything audio-wise. Start flat and go from there... Where are you? Wondering if it's worth a show and tell and compare "soundz" :D

After fitting all 4 off my Alpine SPG-10C2 speakers in my car (before installing the sub & amp) there was a noticeable improvement in sound with the standard Becker head unit. I think the rear speakers contributed the most.

That's interesting- I have only swapped the ones in the dash so far.

I'll do the rears, have a listen, then do the doors and amp (as I'm slowly accumulating the parts over time).

Has anyone fairly local got a 4 AWG cable cutter, and a crimping tool suitable for such cable?

Or can recommend such tools?

I can't see how they fit into those "shrouds" :dont know:
But more importantly, how well do the speakers fit into the housing in the door?

The shrouds are going to be recycled I suspect, I cannot see how the speaker would make use of them to mount to anything, but I'll keep them until that's been proven empirically.

I don't know when i'm going to get the time to have the door cards off, possibly the weekend - I *may* have everything I need to install the amp by then which would be great.

I'm really intrigued to how these go. I've never found anything suitable that would be a significant improvement over the OEMs that's worth the faff to change them!? lol
Door card removal isn't too bad a job. As long as you have trim tools..

I'll need to put the amp in first, thinking about it - the new speakers are 4 ohms whereas the amp is expecting 2 ohm speakers.

Ahhh, get you.
2Ohm nominal - it'll still drive 4Ohm, but at reduced power / volume.
Worst case scenario is a damaged amp, which you're replacing anyway..?

You shouldn't damage the amp as Halcyon says, you'll just get less power out.

You're only likely to damage the amp by lower impedance which may then draw too much current. Given the existing speakers are only 2 Ohms, you'll only really damage it by shorting out the connections and many amps have protection against this.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back