Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Can i humbly add .. when you drill out those rivets then have a magnet on the inside to catch the heads ..

Ive seen " outie " dents caused by these rivet heads getting stuck between the inner and outer panel lower down .

Thanks for the tip, the bottom of the sill on that side needs some repair anyway so will be opened up, but I will bear it in mind.

Front screen out, rear screen just sitting in place, bonnet off.
Some more wiring done, but not finished.

MC

That's a top tip Demort. I can also add that if you do drop any stuff down there that's ferrous, don't forget you may be able to drag it up by using a magnet pulled over the outside skin. (This was a learning point from taking my plane to bits during its latest annual inspection and dropping a pack of drill bits into the flap structure, cos butterfingers, innit.) :frustrated:

It's counter intuitive, but even with steel framed bicycles you can pull a cable through an internal cable-routing with a cloth wrapped magnet on the outside of the tube. Feels exactly like magic the first time you do it, an is why I have a 25kg pull magnet on a bit of conduit (currently holding up a toy from my youth).

39744291572_f849a12128_b.jpg

Some of the magnets you can buy these days are mega powerful. You can easy trap your fingers with them and cause some skin/flesh damage.

One door mostly stripped down. I couldn't finish it as my spline drives are at the office so couldn't remove the latch.

From looking across the face, I don't see why it should be too hard to make up a lightweight doorcard for the new doors.

MC

Looks good mc. What's your expected weight loss? Should it make much difference to your suspension set up? I see you have a lot of adjustable arms which look very tasty.
Seems to be a lot going on underneath a 996. I was always keen to refurb the under side of my old p1 but sold it to buy the c2. At some stage I'll be wanting to do it to the c2 but I'm in no hurry. A lot of your pictures help me gain a perspective with out actually lying on the floor. Goin through the forum I see a lot of ideas which seem to work well. Helps a lot from a new owner angle.
Have you any idea of a finish date in mind?

PeterS said:
NedHan79 said:

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

I think PeterS has summed it up nicely....
I want to get it ready to go to the paintshop by around the end of the year, which just means putting the suspension and brakes on and finishing off a few bits of wiring. I will try to retrim the interior parts whilst it is there.
After it has been painted it will take a bit of time to put it back together. I will then run it as it us until the new engine/gearbox are ready.
The paintshop isn't very speedy, if it on the road whilst there is still some decent weather left from the summer I will be happy.

MC

NedHan79 said:
Looks good mc. What's your expected weight loss? Should it make much difference to your suspension set up? I see you have a lot of adjustable arms which look very tasty.
Seems to be a lot going on underneath a 996. I was always keen to refurb the under side of my old p1 but sold it to buy the c2. At some stage I'll be wanting to do it to the c2 but I'm in no hurry. A lot of your pictures help me gain a perspective with out actually lying on the floor. Goin through the forum I see a lot of ideas which seem to work well. Helps a lot from a new owner angle.

I have no specific target in mind for weight loss. I'm just making it up as I go along. Usually there are two main adjustments on the rear suspension, toe and camber, with this setup there are an additional 3 from the two top arms and diagonal arm, plus bump steer adjustment on the rear toe arms and steering arms.. As such it won't be a case of 'just' putting the measuring kit on it and dialling it in. I'll most likely trailer it to CG to get it sorted there and set corner weights and ride height.

MC

This thread is insane, I have a mate that is currently doing similar to a B5 RS4, even having to machine some parts that are no longer readily available.

In absolute awe of what people can do on their cars. You know how some threads make you want to go outside and work on your car now?

This thread has got me thinking I should probably sell it, I can't come close to looking after it properly :sad:

Just removing some parts which are no longer required; handsfree kit and old tracker. Adding in new tracker with remote cutoff, switchable PSE, and switchable centre radiator.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back