Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car Won't Start - Apply Brake Warning

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
Having a problem starting the car.

Whilst driving I got the ABS amd PASM Failure warning come up and then when I go to start it next time it won't crank at all.

The display says "Apply Brake" which you need to do in the car to start it as its a Tiptronic. Obviously I m pressing the brake pedal but no change and the car is flat with no attempt to crank.

Am I right to think this is most likely just the brake pedal switch failing intermittently and is on its way out????

Are your brake lights coming on when you put your fut on the brake?

They flicker on for a second then stay out.

They did this on repeated times. Is the flickering a warning of failure?

Hi
The brake light switch failure on my 996 caused the same issues.

Brake light switch.

You can probably take it off, strip it down and clean it. I did a thread on it a while ago.

Same type of issue written up in this months 911 &Porsche world on 996 tip. Replacement part for the 996 is 996 613 103 02 and cost £18 inc vat from Porsche (Euro car parts £22.89 so not always cheaper in aftermarket ) . Might well be same part on 997

The brake switch is actually x2 switches in one , one for the lights and the other for the psm/ car start with a tip.

Unusual to get a non start as it normally just gives a psm fault .. this is because it sees the 2 internal switches working at different times (milli seconds ) .. poor contacts basically .

Either way .. as everyone has said .. it needs a new brake pedal switch .

deMort said:
Either way .. as everyone has said .. it needs a new brake pedal switch .

......or strip it & clean it for free :)

Cheers guys.

Got a new switch fitted and hopefully all sorted now.

Sorry Alex had bought a new switch by time I saw your very helpful thread. Thanks pal

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back