Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 new exhaust system

cossiemike

Hi,I expect my rebuilt engine back before xmas. I plan to replace the whole system. I think the Topgear option with the quieter box seems to be an ideal set up. What do others think? I pl an to replace the manifolds/headers at the same time. I have seen some on ebay for £160/£170. These seem cheap compared to Topgears @ £450. Anybody tried these and what was the quality like? Look forward to some input. Mike.

996 manifold

Hi Alex,thought they would be an ok solution. Your link doen't connect now but I have seen similar on ebay. Mike.

I recently went for the full Top Gear system from front to back with the mild sport boxes and regular 200 cell cat pipes (rather than x-pipe).
I went with the Top Gear headers purely for convenience and the expectation that they would fit with the rest of the Top Gear system.
It's still early days and I don't think the system has fully bedded in yet (probably only done c.600 miles). It is currently a little boomy at certain revs, but is generally unobtrusive at motorway speed, but definitely throatier under acceleration. It certainly sounds less "911" than previously, and doesn't have the turbine-like howl at the top of the rev range - not good or bad, just different !
I need to put more miles on it and drive in different situations, but for now the jury is out.
I can't knock the quality, price or fitment. It all went on very nicely and looks the part.

Some of the ebay ones have crude 3 into 1 joints that appear to have an overlay metal strip welded on. The better ones have cut and butt welded tubes. PPBB uses ebay ones on his 300k miler.

Ian

:thumbs:

...having just spent a weekend removing my exhaust system using combination of blood,sweat , tears an angle grinder and reciprocating saw as a consequence of rust, rust and rust you have my deepest sympathy if you are taking this job on!

I am now replacing every nut and bolt from the manifold back with marine grade stainless steel which won't help me but will relieve the next owner of the misery I experienced :D

GMG said:
...having just spent a weekend removing my exhaust system using combination of blood,sweat , tears an angle grinder and reciprocating saw as a consequence of rust, rust and rust you have my deepest sympathy if you are taking this job on!

I am now replacing every nut and bolt from the manifold back with marine grade stainless steel which won't help me but will relieve the next owner of the misery I experienced :D

Hi,my engine is at Hartech for full rebuild and the head studs will be done. I have ordered new system from Topgear today.Mike.

...my head studs were done as we're the silencer brackets it was everything in between! Even though I have had brand new Porsche manifold bolts fitted at £4 each ...I am still going to replace them with marine grade stainless steel ones this weekend....never ever be an issue again...

New exhaust arrived yeterday,2 days from order. Not bad service.Just need engine back from Hartech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back