Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS data collection update - 132 cars (Page 3)

Niall996 said:
alex yates said:
Just another thing worth noting. In the 2 years I've been a member of this site, I've only ever witnessed the posting of one IMS bearing failure.......on a 997 :?:

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall a few (generally newbies who then disappear) posting IMS failures?

Links please :)

alex yates said:
Just another thing worth noting. In the 2 years I've been a member of this site, I've only ever witnessed the posting of one IMS bearing failure.......on a 997 :?:

There is a guy on the 997 forum on a bore scoring poll that says his ims failed alex

996lee said:
alex yates said:

There is a guy on the 997 forum on a bore scoring poll that says his ims failed alex

Cannot find the thread- any link?

EDIT - found it.

Did this ever get confirmed as a bearing failure - there was suggestions of a chain jump or shaft failure.

Either way it's bad news!.

So is that 2 997s vs. 0 996s?

Is there any similar data for the 987 Boxsters?

Specifically the 2.7 earlier cars with the single row bearing.

Asking for a mate obviously ;)

Data collected so far for 102 cars (26th May 2016).

Still no 996 failures since July 2014. A couple of 997 failures in the last 6 months.

Here's a couple of bar charts showing which engines and models have sustained a failure:

Total number of failures - 5.88% (Not including the LN as a original failure)
of which 3.4 - 0% and 3.6 - 8%
of which all Anniversary, X51 & C4 - 0%, C2 - 8.7% and C4S - 9.5%

failure%20distribution1610526jpg_zpsougcppuo.jpg

No problems showing with mine at the moment Alex, but the C4S statistics are seriously worrying!

Do you think this is a reflection of more replies, or more of the C4S's being Tiptronic or what?

Is there a percentage correlation between manuals vs Tips?

Not getting paranoid, promise!

A few of us came to the conclusion that the failures all happened around the time Porsche went to the 24k/2-year service intervals, and although this not being the culprit of the bearing failing (the culprit being the bearing itself not being borderline strong enough) may have played a major part in the failures. :dont know:

I don't think I have ever offered up the info on my car. 2004 996.2, 3.6 manual C2.

No documented failure or engine change. Up to 72k miles at the minute.

There is an invoice for a IMS replacement at 65k miles by Autofarm, using a part number 106-08.2IMSR6569. I'm not sure exactly what that is, the cost for the part on the invoice in £460.50 if that helps suss it out.

Oil changes:

3.5 YEAR REVIEW

Data collected so far for 132 cars (1st December 2018).

Still no 996 failures since July 2014 apart from 1 member with a 3.6 who won't enter his data so I'm unable to include it in the results.

Here's a couple of bar charts showing which engines and models have sustained a failure:

Total number of failures - 4.5% (Not including the LN as a original failure)
of which 3.4 - 0% and 3.6 - 6.7%
of which all Anniversary, X51 & C4 - 0%, C2 - 5.9% and C4S - 9.1%

mgyUlmt.jpg

08AZLxs.jpg

Hi Alex,

The PO of my car (VXBANDIT on this forum) suffered a dropped valve seat at 110k miles. Not sure if you want to include that as a non failing IMS... As it had a full rebuild I'm not expecting there to be an issue in my ownership if I look after it and change oil regularly.

The car had done a lot of motorway mileage in its life - about 50k in a specific 18 month period and was regularly serviced - which based on everything I read would mean the bearing was in an optimal environment.

Just some more info for you in case it is useful.

:thumbs:

Is this bearing failure or all bearing replacement failed or not?

Mine was on 149k when it developed problems, non ims related though it was lack of oil pressure at idle for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back