Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter is here.

AlpinaB3S

Trainee
So it's December

As I have a 3.8 997.1 that hasnt had a Hartech rebuild I am sure someone will tell me that my chocolate engine wouldn't survive a rain shower or a snowflake so I have decided that it is time to put the lady away for the winter and declare her SORN until the new year.

I don't like her getting wet or dirty anyway.

So my question is, is there anything I should be doing to keep her happy.

Should I disconect the battery for example and what else would people recommend.

Should I start her up occasionally or is it better to not do that

An advice would be most welcome

Can you sort a car for part of a month?
What I mean by that is that given today is Dec 1 is December already spent from a road tax perspective or if you sort the car do you get a part benefit back for December?
Is it days or months is the question I suppose??

rob_p said:
What I mean by that is that given today is Dec 1 is December already spent from a road tax perspective or if you sort the car do you get a part benefit back for December?

It's by month. But do it by post and send a cheque dated yesterday and they should do it from then if that's what you're worried about? Least I have done that when I've missed it by a day or two in the past :thumb:

If you SORN today you'll only get January + other months back.

I have one of those chocolate engines and also SORN'd at the end of Nov - haha! It's the salt on the roads in NE Scotland that I'm concerned about, but some of those snow flakes can be serious?

I have C-tec charger on the go and plan to get the wheels refurbed during the winter months. I'm not going to start it during the winter months, just for the sake of it. I'm sure there are other people that do.

Also get steering wheel refurbed, I have alcantara leather that's getting a bit tired. Hopefully back on the road in April depending how the weather goes.

Hopefully a short winter...

rob_p said:

Yes it is only full months. I did mine yesterday

Ok I have decided that winter will officially be over this weekend (and its the 1st of March this week so can take the car off SORN) I did listen to peoples advice and bought a CTEK charger which has been plugged in for a while now, overinflated the tyres etc.

When I put it on charge I attached the rings to the battery terminals rather than use the clips. Do I need to remove the rings before I start it or could I leave them on and just disconnect the cable from the charger on the CTEK.

I know its not a big job to remove them its more out of curiosity really.

Also anything else I should do before starting up after 3 months in the garage?

thanks

AlpinaB3S said:
Also anything else I should do before starting up after 3 months in the garage?

thanks

Have a search, should be plenty of threads with the correct advice. :thumb:

Cheers gents

Sods law the weather will turn before the weekend now

hey ho fingers crossed

AlpinaB3S said:
Cheers gents

Sods law the weather will turn before the weekend now

hey ho fingers crossed

Just recheck the tyre pressures and be gentle for the first part...and remember to put some road snacks in for the first drive as it will certainly be longer than you plan :thumb:

I use mine

I personally think unless you have a climate controlled dry garage it is better to use the car all year round.

Attachments

• img_1314_105.jpg
    img_1314_105.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,832

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back