Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Would be interested in seeing how it looks with the shorter shaft...
- I periodically agonise of whether to fit a function first shift knob - my preference would probably be delrin (what material is yours? - being lazy, I need to back futher through your thread as there are some interesting updates I seem to have missed first time round....) - otherwise I'm still not sure how I feel about a round knob in a 996..... how are you finding it day-to-day looks and function wise?

My knob is delrin (and there's something I didn't think I'd be typing when I got up this morning).

I really like it - it's a nicely tactile object, and it's very finely made. Not, of course, that there's anything hugely wrong with the OEM shifter, but there's also nothing hugely right about it, either.

Being honest I got the Function First based on looks, but since fitting it I've been equally impressed by how it is to use. I also, possibly somewhat perversely, quite like the long throw that I've got at the moment, but that may (I suspect) be the novelty of it.

The ultimate test would be to swap the underlying shifter mechanism with the longer shaft still in place, but I've ordered the shorter shaft now so I'll see what that's like.

Dammit said:
These connectors are left over from the CD player, really just took this photograph for future reference, but it did occur to me that I still have the bracket for the CD changer, and if I get a larger amp it might make more sense to mount it where the CD changer used to be.

Definitely keep the bracket and also the old surround piece, when I upgraded to a 5 channel alpine amp if fit into the old CD changer spot really nicely. I attached it to the old bracket that I modified, so easy to attach it securely. I also had to do some small mods to the surround you replaced and also the surround just in front of the Cd changer.

Dammit said:
Gearlever - I've ordered the shorter shaft, really just to compare side by side.

My current thinking is that the shorter shaft may be a good partner to the 997.2 GT3 shift (997 424 010 91), whereas the longer shaft might be better suited to the SSK (97 424 983 00).

I really like where the longer shaft puts the lever relative to my hand - it feels very natural.

I'll try the shorter shaft, but suspect I may end up with a basically new 997.3 GT3 shifter for sale with a short Function First shaft.

No rush, however.

Still looking for a dent man recommendation, also!

This is making good reading for me, my plan is for the longer shaft teamed up with one of Alex's modded ssk's :thumb:

Soon...

45861938032_6739f91ee3_b.jpg

45911192621_e752921c85_b.jpg

I'll be interested to see before and after photos. I have a minor ding on my C2 which bothers me.

MC

I love this thread... :thumb:

Osh

Dammit said:
That's going to be a bit challenging - here's the dent:

46037678522_d08e257736_b.jpg

Is that before or after?
:dont know:

That's as near as dammit perfect :p

In todays episode of "don't be Neil", try to avoid putting your new plate on:

45378155914_47ced8fd53_b.jpg

Before you use the DVLA online system to update the registration details - because you may find that the online system doesn't work, and you now have to leave the car in the garage until the DVLA have received your documents by post and update the details manually.

:grin:
Nightmare.

On the plus side you are the undefeated champion of the "How much random clutter can you hang precariously over your pampered 911" game. :D

That yellow rubble bucket is a particularly good entry. :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back