Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knackered 3.4

engine internals

Some pictures of the internals.

Attachments

• 996_piston_189.jpg
    996_piston_189.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_piston_189.jpg
    996_piston_189.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_bore_228.jpg
    996_bore_228.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_bore_228.jpg
    996_bore_228.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_crank_181.jpg
    996_crank_181.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_crank_181.jpg
    996_crank_181.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_crank_2_163.jpg
    996_crank_2_163.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 5,485
  • 996_crank_2_163.jpg
    996_crank_2_163.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 5,485
Mileage about 90000 & was running sweetly until a bit off a thrash in 3 figures.a long curve and oil surge I think.

Always sad to hear of failures like this but I'm Very interested to see how it works out with the 3.7 upgrade.

Best of luck with it. Please keep us posted :thumb:

Ouch... but exciting to be doing a 3.7!

Will be interesting to follow the progress.

cossiemike said:
Mileage about 90000 & was running sweetly until a bit off a thrash in 3 figures.a long curve and oil surge I think.

Not really a high mileage then, shouldn't have gone pop through wear and tear for many more miles. Abused when it was younger?

...really bad luck.I have felt your pain.

Bore Score, Piston Skirt Wear, Worn Bearings and totalled Crank journals at 90k miles on the supposedly more robust 3.4?

Running fine one minute and ***** the next just like mine at 69k...these engines are more fragile than a kinder egg...

Good luck.

GMG said:
...really bad luck.I have felt your pain.

Bore Score, Piston Skirt Wear, Worn Bearings and totalled Crank journals at 90k miles on the supposedly more robust 3.4?

Running fine one minute and ***** the next just like mine at 69k...these engines are more fragile than a kinder egg...

Good luck.

Really, I dont post much on here. I do, however, log in everyday and read the threads.
GMG are we going to let it lie now or is this the future of this forum where at every opportunity youre going to bang on about your engine going pop. These cars have some inherent issues, I'll give you that but they are known and documented and as such, as with any second hand car, you buy at your own risk. Did you buy it new from Porsche, Ill asssume not so whos to say the previous owner didnt sit bouncing off its limiter in the garage all night?!
If, maybe 'WHEN' mine goes bang, Ill call Hartech and Strasse get some prices and an action plan and get it sorted. What I wont do is spend every day harping on about it.
Motorised vehicles are a pain, ALL of them have inherent issues and ALL of them have the potential to cost money and frustrate us. Dont like that? WALK EVERYWHERE

Also to the OP. Sorry it has gone boom, good luck with sorting it and keep us posted with what you choose.

...I have as much right to express my opinions as anyone on this forum...the fact that I don't harbour and express demonstrable delusions such as ...nicely run in at 100k miles...or....3.4s don't bore score etc,etc seems to offend sensibilities?

Vis a vis my car...the indisputable fact is that it went pop to the tune of £15k without warning...

It is now safely tucked up in my garage and I am indeed over it but this experience hasn't changed my view that these engines are fragile and can and do grenade without warning and irrespective of useage and maintenance history...

And I have owned dozens of cars and not one has had a foible so significantly expensive or illusive to predict...these engines have inherent flaws that stretch far beyond the typical norm and anyone that believes otherwise is frankly beyond objective reason...

GMG said:
...I have as much right to express my opinions as anyone on this forum...the fact that I don't harbour and express demonstrable delusions such as ...nicely run in at 100k miles...or....3.4s don't bore score etc,etc seems to offend sensibilities?

That's cos it's a lie. Yes, a very small amount go pop. Many don't. Most cars on the road don't even get to 20 years old. Nobody's in denial that there are some inherent faults that a small % of these cars suffer, but the way you post is as though they're the world's worst engine that will undeniably go bang when you least expect it.

Its like saying all Muslims are terrorists!

And where did the OP state all this - "Bore Score, Piston Skirt Wear, Worn Bearings and totalled Crank journals at 90k miles on the supposedly more robust 3.4?" or did you invent that too?

You're just not very helpful to other members. I've aske you twice now if you can fill your details in on the 996 ims bearing data collection thread so we can track the amount of failures and other members can decide for themselves how much of an issue it is and make a judged decision but you couldn't even be bothered to do that. All I got was:

GMG said:
...mine collapsed at 69k miles...no warning... dwarf and bearing debris found throughout the engine when stripped down...

&

GMG said:
...no dwarfs were found in the engine...swarf was though :D

When every other member who's posted on there entered their data.

Do you not see why members get upset when you post on here?

I have said before that from looking at the design, hearing other peoples stories, talking with engine experts, and from engines I have seen myself, unless I knew the FULL history of the engine and how it has been driven from new I would want new bearings in it by 100k miles as a precautionary measure on these. I wouldn't be worried about bore scoring or IMS bearing, but the bores would be checked for ovality when it is apart.

MC

Sorry to hear this Mike.

I'm sure it will come back in better health than it ever has been.

James

:thumb:

It'll be a great engine when you get it back OP :thumb:

I think people need to re-address their use of language, and their conception of what "flaw" means in particular.

The 911 is a sports car - when the 996 was launched it was classed as a super car (that expression feels dated now, to me at least), and it's worth looking at why.

Quick answer? They're exciting, they have a dynamic performance envelope that gets the pulse racing, adrenalin flowing - and may result in having to tow your car out of the field it ended up in.

I think the M96 designer should be praised for wanting to add to this - not only do you enjoy the excitement of the power, grip, "interesting" weight distribution, but you also have the wild-card element represented by the main bearings/crank, IMS, valve-train and bores.

You can be stuck in traffic, with for e.g. a very low chance of ending up in a field, upside down and on fire when suddenly, out of nowhere - boom! The crank has broken as you put the clutch in.

Suddenly your day is as exciting on the commute as if you were taking Eau Rouge flat in fifth.

Yep - that sounds like my daily commute :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back