Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SC Buying Advice

I am Looking to p/ex my 996 TT for a 1980 911sc
The car has had a Documented Engine and Geabox Rebuild,New exhaust system and professional Glass out Respray and the suspension renewed and is immaculate.In terms of Service history there are Quite a few invoices detailing the work done and costs etc.The original Service book has been mislaid over the years so there are only the Invoices.As the car has had all the above work done and drives faultlessly according to the Seller is the lack of this service record going to substantially affect the value and sailability of the vehicle if I ever want to move it on down the line? :?:

If you have an invoice saying it has been serviced then thats better than a stamp imho .. an invoice will show whats been done , the cost and the advisory items (these tell a customer an awfull lot about how the car has been looked after ) .... a stamp in a book is just that .. i can get a stamp made for peanuts and fill in a book .

Purists will prefer a stamped book as its part of the heritage though , buy a replacement and get it stamped perhaps :?:

:welcome:

Don't do it :sad:

Sounds a great car, an link to it :dont know:

:thumb:

I did a HPI check and it shows a Colour change in 2005 from Green.I guess that would not be favourable in terms of value?
I will put up a link tomorrow
Thanks for your replies

PorscheTurbo996London said:
I am Looking to p/ex my 996 TT for a 1980 911sc

Looks like your choice of username was a bit short-sighted then. :grin:

:welcome: to 911uk

If your looking for a car to have a bit of fun and at least keep its value, then the deal is matching numbers, original spec including colours, The more history the better and Rhd. If you won't to go to the next level then limited production numbers. Also imho buy the best you can.

I have time to pass so as no one else has responded to your latest request I will give it a go..

If you are buying into the idea of a Porsche as an INVESTMENT, then good luck with that.

A sports car that is circa 40 years old is just bound to have stories to tell and they are unlikely to match those you have adopted in your mindset unless you are entirely immune to MARKET hype, and few of us really are, to some degree at least..? Salesmen are trained to assess YOU better than the car he/she is trying to sell you, and if you are a sucker for sales patter they will know all the trigger points to feed you..?

I have expressed opinion on this SC before but I can not remember where cause I`m an old duffer and less than knowledgeable in the use of technology...

Whether this is an SC SPORT or just an SC with sport additions will affect it`s perceived value.

Non sports as were mine had Cookie Cutter wheels of 15" (?) diameter and thus used higher profile tyres to provide the same rolling radius as the 16" FUCHS wheels used on the SPORT with lower profile tyres.. The effect of which on the sport equated to the sharper steering response and stiffer ride, though at the time I made these assessments the cars were circa 10 years old...

The SC sport used Bilstine (sp?) shockers and the non sport used Boge, I was more than happy with the more comfortable ride in my non sport SC than that which I experienced in the sport when travelling over rough roads, even on track days of which I attended a few.. Sure the non sport took a bit more time to set up and settle into corners as determined by tyre sidewall flex but that was never found to be a problem out on the road.... I can appreciate a bit of flexibility, more so these days (-:

Tombstone seats were never a favourite which seem to be those fitted to the SC in question. As for tartan, well each to their own sense of taste..?

I note that the rear fog guard lights are missing thus fastidious past ownership kinda goes out the window, perhaps more so as the fixing holes seem to be left to their own devices risking encouraging corrosion..?

I have it in my mind that I may have seen engine bay pics of this car, in which it may have not had an air pump in position, whether an air pump is fitted as original in the earlier SC`s or not I am unsure...? From a poor memory the air pump injected air into the exhaust port in the cyl head to assist further burning of the exhaust gasses before they exited the tail pipe, which supposedly reduced harmful emissions.. thus associated with this system there was pipework on the underside of the engine that inevitably corroded and added another measure of complexity to long term maintenance... I think some folk may have just done away with the pump and the pipework and in the process fitted blanking plugs to the former pipe entry points on each cyl head..? While the omission of this kit may be thought of as a maintenance advantage it may also affect evaluation of ORIGINALITY, and dependant on laws relative to exhaust emission measurement now or in time, may limit your usage of the SC to some degree...?

With any air cooled 911, corrosion is bound to be a potential issue, and repairs if any can come in all ranges of quality on a Porsche, loads of bodge potential that to the naked eye is close to impossible to detect. It can take real expertise to assess the reality of any old sports car and how it has been treated during it`s lifetime... I have posted a few pics of repairs to my Porsches elsewhere on this forum...

I have no real idea as to what the brown staining in the door shuts is other than perhaps the residue of glue used to replace the rubber seals found in the area, this perhaps being the case, then the task seems to have lacked a measure of care, and how that might be interpreted in terms of presentation is for those who might care to take a closer look..

The pale coloured Porsches were not favourite in my book much preferred where stronger reds, white, black, etc, etc, etc, though how that might affect the tastes of today`s market, I have no idea. As investment seems to be key, perhaps you best do a bit more research into market evaluation of body and trim colour..?

I think this car is worthy of a look if an SC is the desired option. if it is a Sport, perhaps for investment, perhaps better still... ???

Good luck in your choices. Hope I have not muddied the water..

More than happy to be corrected..by anyone.

Investment unless your into the big time million plus, even then I am not sure any of the cars are an investment. maintenance, tax, Insurance, storage etc. IMHO look at, if you can get your money back in three to five years time assuming you haven't financed it and had some fun along the way then you have won.
Adverts will always say rare, limited, only x made in this colour, don't really won't to sell etc etc. Best bet buy original or proven race heritage (big money required) if your not comfortable buying private, then asking around who are the good guys, believe it or not there are some. Zuffenhaus Solihull saved me £67 grand and at the time they didn't know me from Adam.

By way of an addendum, I forgot to mention the rear spoiler, which on the car you linked to appears to be constructed mostly of rubber, probably with some internal metal support system which can in time deform to some degree causing it to ripple.

I suspect the much preferred spoiler option in terms of value would be the more usual painted fiberglass framed and rubber tailed spoiler..?

In the case of the car in question I suspect other than the materials used in it`s construction the condition of the spoiler could be an important consideration... :?:

Get it ppi'd......if its all good buy it ,rip it ,enjoy it....life's too short 👍👍👍👍

Digging around in my old memory relative to the two SC`s that I bought, both came with broken valve springs which I suspect may have been caused by stuck centrifugal rev limiter in the rotor arm.

Fortunately there are two springs for each valve thus the valves had not embedded themselves in the piston crowns... :?:

Thanks for your replies.I thought the engine upgrade may devalue it.I was going to do a deal with my 996TT but if it's not a decent example I probably will pass

PorscheTurbo996London said:
Thanks for your replies.I thought the engine upgrade may devalue it.I was going to do a deal with my 996TT but if it's not a decent example I probably will pass
My thoughts.........A non-matching numbers car would have to be significantly cheaper than its similar condition counterpart. A bit like a Cat [D] car that had been repaired to as original condition will be worth a good bit less than a car in original condition.

As investments go, an engine replaced with an incorrect engine type will not sit well with potential buyers come sale time. Now that the air-cooled cars are seen by many as investments, they need to be of investment quality to command true investment money. Incorrect is just that.

I may be wrong but I doubt that the car in question is what you are truly after at this price point as you don't seem totally convinced. Don't look back in a few years and lament over the cracking Turbo you used to own!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back