Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knackered 3.4

cossiemike

Another dead engine

Hi,had my 2001 3.4 C2 for a couple years and thought it was ok.Mileage 91k Went for a quick run today.All ok and did about 20 miles.Stopped at workshop for 15 mins or so and left for a blast. 5 miles later while following a slow car about 50 noticed a slight rattle.Oil pressure had dropped slightly so stopped. Had my son tow me back with the Disco to my workshop. Started the engine briefly,definately bearings shot.Hopefully not to much damage caused. The race workshop I use for my other cars used to run a GT3 in Britcar so should be able to fix. Good excuse to get the Exige out again.Will let you know the results of the strip down. Mike

Could be a number of things and you won't know till you strip it. What do you mean by bearings shot?

alex yates said:
Could be a number of things and you won't know till you strip it. What do you mean by bearings shot?

The engine is rattling like a tin can.

Could be anything.

Could be a worn tappet? Did it do it on tick over then go when you revved the engine?

NLW73 said:
Could be a worn tappet? Did it do it on tick over then go when you revved the engine?

Hi,no on start up it clattered so bad switched off immediately.Mike

Could well be the ims...mine sounded the same;managed to turn it off quickly enough to maintain the timing thereby avoiding total engine destruction!

I genuinely hope you discover something less expensive?

GMG said:
Could well be the ims...mine sounded the same;managed to turn it off quickly enough to maintain the timing thereby avoiding total engine destruction!

I genuinely hope you discover something less expensive?

Hi spoke to Steve at the race workshop and he will drop the engine out in a couple weeks,doesn't think it will be a problem to do. Fingers crossed.

My engine finally let go a few months ago. Have been to busy to do anything about it ,so finally dropped the engine out and dropped it off at Hartech.Result knackered crank etc. Quote from Grant for partial rebuild with s/h crank,rod.Plan B with new liners etc & top end overhall.Plan C full rebuild to 3.7. So 3.7 it will be after reading the article in 911 & Porsche world. Hopefully it will be done before the end of the year. Mike.

Sorry to hear that. Was it the main bearings which went in the end? Do you know what mileage the engine was on?

MC

Mike - as MC says, sorry to hear this.

Please can i ask, if its OK with you - that you come back here and give us full and regular updates...??

Hope this all gets sorted for you m8 :thumb:

Osh

As above. Sorry to hear. Watching with interest.

Hi,it was a big end that went and did the rod & crank.With it stripped the bottom end was on last legs through wear.Top end looked ok but it was showing wear.Will try to update with some pictures. Mike.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back