Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 front splitter

Milo72

Anyone got any recommendations for a 'subtle' splitter?

Attachments

• 997_lip_lr_122.jpg
    997_lip_lr_122.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 2,927
  • 997_lip_lr_122.jpg
    997_lip_lr_122.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 2,928
I had a Rinspeed one on my old 997.1 there is someone selling them on ebay for quite a cheap price

Attachments

• 20170224_181313_resized_149_874.jpg
    20170224_181313_resized_149_874.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 2,844
  • 20170224_181313_resized_149_874.jpg
    20170224_181313_resized_149_874.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 2,845
I also spotted this the other day but don't know about pricing or if anyone has fitted one yet

Attachments

• porsche_997_carrera_mk1_moshammer_tradition_rs_bodykit_front_168.png
    porsche_997_carrera_mk1_moshammer_tradition_rs_bodykit_front_168.png
    612.8 KB · Views: 2,838
  • porsche_997_carrera_mk1_moshammer_tradition_rs_bodykit_front_168.png
    porsche_997_carrera_mk1_moshammer_tradition_rs_bodykit_front_168.png
    612.8 KB · Views: 2,839
Thefinn said:
I had a Rinspeed one on my old 997.1 there is someone selling them on ebay for quite a cheap price

I like the Rinspeed. Is it advertised as such on eBay?

SJD said:
Thefinn said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...rentrq:5c0b41741670aadcfde72ddcfffdf92b|iid:1

Try this. I am not sure on the quality as it is differnt to the one I had but it looks to be made if fibreglass. I never got round to painting mine but if you Google 997 Rinspeed front lip you will see what they look like painted as it brings out the indents more, on a black car when painted it looks the mutts.

Hi TheFinn that lip spoiler really looks awesome on your car and at that price I'm seriously considering the Rinspeed- thanks a lot for making me aware of it!

Can I ask what you used to fit it? Did you screw directly into the underside of the bumper? Or did you need bolts? Maybe 3m tape around the sides? Any info you could share on that would give me the confidence to give it a go I think (as the ebay listing states no fixings or instructions are provided).

Big thanks?

Thefinn said:
SJD said:
Thefinn said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...rentrq:5c0b41741670aadcfde72ddcfffdf92b|iid:1

Try this. I am not sure on the quality as it is differnt to the one I had but it looks to be made if fibreglass. I never got round to painting mine but if you Google 997 Rinspeed front lip you will see what they look like painted as it brings out the indents more, on a black car when painted it looks the mutts.

Seconded on that rinspeed one. I have placed the order

Subtle but have always thought the 997.1 needs a little sth up front

Lordjimimac said:
Hi TheFinn that lip spoiler really looks awesome on your car and at that price I'm seriously considering the Rinspeed- thanks a lot for making me aware of it!

Can I ask what you used to fit it? Did you screw directly into the underside of the bumper? Or did you need bolts? Maybe 3m tape around the sides? Any info you could share on that would give me the confidence to give it a go I think (as the ebay listing states no fixings or instructions.

You have answered the question really as I just screwed it to the underside of the existing bumper with some large headed car body panel screws but a bit of tape on the sides wouldn't hurt. First up I found the centre of the existing bumper and then the lip and marked both with masking tape then fitted from the middle out to make sure all lined up exact as I went along fixing it. I did also have to remove the two small Matt black plastic parts on the bottom ends of the bumper that clip in, this was so that the lip fitted tighter on the ends.

One of the returns came up a little short by about 5mm as it turns into the arch so I partially cut it and built back up the fiberglass to make up the gap.

I am making it sound difficult but it wasn't and if you wanted I am sure you can just offer it up starting with the returns into the arch on each end and if the front looks good you could just fix it where it is. The only reason i did it they way i did is to make sure everything was exactly central and all edges lined perfectly as i am a bit ocd like that but you might not need to if this eBay lip has a better fit.

Once screwed up it was solid but I was going to find some plastic nuts to screw onto the back of the panel screws inside the bumper to make sure after I had it painted, unfortunately before I got to that stage my car had a little kiss with a bit of Armco on the A13 so a bit more than paint was needed I.e. a new front end so that car and I parted. But even with just the screws as said it was solid and I tested it to quite high speeds with no movement what so ever.

All in the job is quite easy and YouTube is your friend, I will also try to find some photos of how I did it but I am not sure I have them anymore but I would say go for it, it's not a tough job that only takes a few hours.

This was the photo that sold it for me when I was looking for a subtle lip a couple of years ago but it doesn't seem to come up on Google anymore so here it is as it make the lip look amazing and not Jimmy Hill at all. :thumb:

Attachments

• screenshot_20181128_205125_pinterest_648.jpg
    screenshot_20181128_205125_pinterest_648.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 2,619
  • screenshot_20181128_205125_pinterest_648.jpg
    screenshot_20181128_205125_pinterest_648.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 2,618
that does look good.

so no extra side skirts? just the front lip?

Excellent - thanks loads for taking the time to share this!

I researched the 991 adaptor, and the chap has used 'Well Nuts' to attach his adapter to the bumper. I was not familiar with these but they look like a great solution for properly and mechanically attaching the lip to the underside of the bumper. You drill 10mm holes, then the well nut gets pushed through, and when the nut is tightened the piece compresses on the back (hidden) side of the bumper. So you can get a nut and bolt like arrangement, with a cushioned contact point, without having to remove the bumper. The image on these parts shows how they work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoprene-Well-Stainless-Steel-Screw/dp/B009ERRCSS

Looking at the tested specs the chap used on the adaptor, I think this is the set that would possibly be optimal to actually use - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Screen-S...b560fffef9e1&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

I think ill use these + some 3M VBH tape and have a go at this. Big thanks all - gotta love this forum!

Thefinn said:
Lordjimimac said:

Can I ask what you used to fit it? Did you screw directly into the underside of the bumper? Or did you need bolts? Maybe 3m tape around the sides? Any info you could share on that would give me the confidence to give it a go I think (as the ebay listing states no fixings or instructions.

You have answered the question really as I just screwed it to the underside of the existing bumper with some large headed car body panel screws but a bit of tape on the sides wouldn't hurt. First up I found the centre of the existing bumper and then the lip and marked both with masking tape then fitted from the middle out to make sure all lined up exact as I went along fixing it. I did also have to remove the two small Matt black plastic parts on the bottom ends of the bumper that clip in, this was so that the lip fitted tighter on the ends.

One of the returns came up a little short by about 5mm as it turns into the arch so I partially cut it and built back up the fiberglass to make up the gap.

I am making it sound difficult but it wasn't and if you wanted I am sure you can just offer it up starting with the returns into the arch on each end and if the front looks good you could just fix it where it is. The only reason i did it they way i did is to make sure everything was exactly central and all edges lined perfectly as i am a bit ocd like that but you might not need to if this eBay lip has a better fit.

Once screwed up it was solid but I was going to find some plastic nuts to screw onto the back of the panel screws inside the bumper to make sure after I had it painted, unfortunately before I got to that stage my car had a little kiss with a bit of Armco on the A13 so a bit more than paint was needed I.e. a new front end so that car and I parted. But even with just the screws as said it was solid and I tested it to quite high speeds with no movement what so ever.

All in the job is quite easy and YouTube is your friend, I will also try to find some photos of how I did it but I am not sure I have them anymore but I would say go for it, it's not a tough job that only takes a few hours.

This was the photo that sold it for me when I was looking for a subtle lip a couple of years ago but it doesn't seem to come up on Google anymore so here it is as it make the lip look amazing and not Jimmy Hill at all. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back