Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 996's

Just had a quick look through some dockets and service invoices I have for the car. I have 1 for rear 20mm arb poly bushes. I'm assuming 20mm is standard and not m030. Also a receipt for front and rear seats, steering wheel handbrake and a few other bits. I found out from someone who knows the car from some point said the car had hideous coloured seats so that's that 1 explained and that's why I couldn't find any mention of the carbon fibre bits in the original spec.

Is there any point in up rating to m030 arbs and I'm guessing they're very hard to get hold of making them expensive. I find the car nice and comfortable. I had planned on a suspension drop and was maybe just going to go down the lowering spring route. I don't see much point in changing shocks yet if they're in good order.
Has anyone tried lower springs and then poly bushes without going any further? This is purely a toy and doubtful it will ever see a track

Sounds right up my street infrasilver. That's probably the way I'll go and worry about shocks as and when I need them. Which springs did you go for?

I had H&R springs and had these fitted to my standard shockers but I have since changed them for Bilstein B6 units and the ride is about the same, my old shockers we still fine even after over 100k miles.
I also had to design/make some Cup rear toe arms to allow the correct alignment as the car is so low, lower than a GT3 in fact.

Mmmm hadn't really thought about wheel alignment. Not really sure who I could get to do that over here.

NedHan79 said:
Yeah it seems to be common enough. I've timed it on the last few cold starts and it's generally 30-40 seconds. I've read that a good engine flush or additive before an oil change should cure it. Problem with that is it's had an oil change not long before I bought it. I'll not worry too much about it. If it was permanent, it'd be a different matter. The cars only got 74k on it and a very good history to back it up. I know mileage isn't the be all and end all but it's a bit more reassuring than if it was a high miler.

A few tappets rattling for a minute or so when stone cold is as my 74k mile C2 behaves - the cam chains rattle for 1/4 of a second or so when the car has been left for more than a day or two, too - and they're a known ***** design.

If you start the engine after it's been warmed, there's no tappet or chain chatter at all, these early engines have a lot of chains to tension up and a lot of oil galleries to fill so it's not unexpected they make a bit of a noise when firing up..

That's good to know carfixer. If the cars been anywhere near warm, like when I get it out of the garage and let it idle for a minute or 2, there's no rattle. It's just a shame as I've a full exhaust on and it sounds great as it barks into life, especially in a small garage

NedHan79 said:
That's good to know carfixer. If the cars been anywhere near warm, like when I get it out of the garage and let it idle for a minute or 2, there's no rattle. It's just a shame as I've a full exhaust on and it sounds great as it barks into life, especially in a small garage

I know what you mean. I had a '99 Boxster (2.7) that was pretty much silent from the tappets, apart from a little chain rustle on cold start..

Just a quick update. Got round to pulling the front bumper off to clean the radiators. They were worse than I thought dirt wise but the rads are in excellent shape. Drivers side condenser is a little grubby but I'm not too worried. Front of the chassis is in excellent shape but the brackets/plates that the rads sit on are maybe past it. I might just make a new pair at work and either galvanise them or powder coat.

I got a rear wiper delete from the Greek guy mentioned on here so that's done.

Had a quick look at my suspension as it was claimed to be m030 but I thought it sat a little high. My front shocks are very fresh bilstiens of some sort. Rears are very crusty looking but are working fine. My front arb measures 24mm so I'm guessing that's the 23.5mm one and the that I do have the m030 package. I've also bought 30mm springs but probably won't fit them until I have all bushings that I need.

One other thing is I've got a nice omp steering wheel so just need to sort a boss for it. I have a carbon fibre wheel on but I find it very big.

Atm I think that's about it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back