Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Detailing, a dark art? 🙊🤗

Is there any anecdotal evidence that these ceramic coatings reduce stone chips?

Robertb said:
Its a bit like basic to intermediate car maintenance I guess. Some are happy to learn and do it themselves, others have no inclination or time to do so, and prefer to pay others to do it. I will happily spend 3 days in the garage detailing my car, but I would pay someone to paint inside my house.

I worry a bit more with the ceramic coatings, only because the 'professional' grade stuff has the capability to weld itself to your car's paint, and takes some serious work to remove.

Yep, same here. I simply don't have the patience for it but more than happy to pay for it, and like most things you get what you pay for.

:oops: I have to fess up here - I also pay to have the inside of the house painted.

kas750 said:
For me detailing is an absolute racket and I have never seen a car that has been better than my efforts.....ever.
I don't believe you. Come do my car and then we'll discuss the merits of your work. :grin:
The same could be said of any subsection of any industry. My observations of various trades in this country since moving here has been as follows
70% - Cowboys, clowns, charlatans and scrotes
25% - Adequate a decent job but nothing to hang my hat on
5% - Excellent or subject matter experts.
Knowledge and time are the key, lacking either one, the other or both results in us outsourcing various bits of work.
I see what some of you do with cars and shake my head in amazement at how an enthusiast can deliver such quality.

FZP said:
Is there any anecdotal evidence that these ceramic coatings reduce stone chips?

No they don't. They couldn't as they don't form a physical barrier. I hear "microns" bandied around as the thickness of the "barrier" left.

They reduce swirls from washing but no way will they do anything for stonechips.

I've been to a couple of big car shows and had various discussions with people and they've gone on about ceramic coatings as the be all and end all of coatings, and it seemed a little like snake oil to me.
Summary is that reduces light damage like swirl marks, makes it easier to clean but go into it with your eyes wide open.

FZP said:
kas750 said:
For me detailing is an absolute racket and I have never seen a car that has been better than my efforts.....ever.
I don't believe you. Come do my car and then we'll discuss the merits of your work. :grin:

I like your style :grin:
:thumbs: :hammer:

kas750 said:
FZP said:
kas750 said:

I like your style :grin:
:thumbs: :hammer:
My recompense method is beer and the best Pizza this side of Napoli. What day shall I expect you???

There is a skill in it - I have seen many who pretend they can detail but actually do a rubbish job. The difference between someone who knows and some one who pretends is huge.

Re gtechniq we use this - I was frankly thinking it is snake oil but had it done on two demo cars at 9e and I deliberately didn't wash for 2 months including track and road traffic, rain etc. The result is that even not cleaning the car looks cleaner and when you come to clean it is so easy and restores back to the finish. I am almost three years into the 5 year coating and cannot see any decline yet.

Ceramic coating won't stop stone chips - only ppf gives you a chance but it does give added protection to paint for general usage. If you don't detail before the coating any swirls look 10 times worse.

A great detailer will know what is possible - it is that simple

Here is a couple of pics from a showroom car that looks immaculate to the naked eye but under correct lighting showed the difference.

Take a look at the videos on our page.

http://www.nineexcellence.com/service/detailing.html

Is it worth it - yes
Problem - finding someone good

Ken

Attachments

• 6272a5e9_d37f_491b_b3df_db80f9c446de_123.jpeg
    6272a5e9_d37f_491b_b3df_db80f9c446de_123.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 6,915
  • 6272a5e9_d37f_491b_b3df_db80f9c446de_123.jpeg
    6272a5e9_d37f_491b_b3df_db80f9c446de_123.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 6,915
  • 93b477cf_8086_4948_abe1_66b0112e7a1e_179.jpeg
    93b477cf_8086_4948_abe1_66b0112e7a1e_179.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 6,915
  • 93b477cf_8086_4948_abe1_66b0112e7a1e_179.jpeg
    93b477cf_8086_4948_abe1_66b0112e7a1e_179.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 6,915
Mine (Basalt) was done 2.5 years ago with gtechniq csl and exo (by a non-gtechniq certified pro).

I now have some light swirls, although better wash technique would prevent this.

It's not invincible, a football bounced off my bonnet and left light scratches, I tried to get them out by hand with blackmaxx polish but failed.i also used to be able to dry the car using the sheeting method (open hose) - the water isn't pulled off the panels quite so easily now.

Still really shiny and beads like crazy, but I have noticed slight deterioration.

The car is garaged and used daily (except for a few weeks when roads are salted). It must have been washed 100 times since the coating.

Wash time is vastly reduced, and no more waxing, which although I love cleaning/waxing etc, abstaining has probably saved my marriage.

For me it was £500 well spent, even if I do go back for additional correction next summer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back