Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smokey and not the bandit i hope

I managed to blag a little bit more off saying I'll write a long term review. So sent you another PM.

He also said he'll ship Monday by putting you to the top of the queue.

Good work Mr Wild :thumb:

Many thanks, Rob, what about your P&J, you had an opportunity to blow out any cobwebs?

Awesome and thanks again.

Yes all ordered and already shipped :) thanks for the tips too and offer for assistance on install.

Yes the smoke freaks me out but there is alot of condensation in the exhaust tail pipes so i'm hoping its just that at start up.

Whats the cooling down period you chaps advice ?
Ive not really had a good cobweb blow out but done a few short spirited moments.

I was told to warm up for 7 miles keeping under 3k revs by the seller, none other than Tom at 911v.

If you are giving it beans and get stopped unexpectedly, never rag it off again, I go back into a mile or two of warm up process just to be safe. These are from Baz at Hartech, so his word is final.

Previous owner was a car man, he says he never gave it full throttle under 3k revs too. As it's the lower torque stuff believed to cause the borescoring. I also shift down if I get to 2k revs and need to go lower because of this. My R32 would happily sit at 30mph in 6th at 1k revs.

Run Millers Nanotech Oil, most people go for 10w 50. Depends on how many miles yours has done. I've got 5w 50 in mine and hardly uses a drop.

Has it always been a London car? Maybe it's in desperate need of a proper free flowing run.

I then cool down for 2 miles at the very least, you want to be getting airflow over the car at 60-70 with the engine at a nice 2k revs.

I've also got a 'Low temp Thermostat' fitted, believed to help prevent BS. I also have an extended sump which can only aid engine cooling and against starvation on track.

sounds good, i had read about the sudden stop recommendation before.

As for my car its on 80k and a daily run to work 24 miles each way (40mph average cameras all the way) but previously it was in Surrey and used as a weekend joy however it had been Sorn for about 6 months when i bought it.

I think you're right a nice decent run out is in order for sure.

Oil i top up here and there with 0w-40.

To be honest when i was looking i was more frightened by what i read about IMS bearing over the BS, whats thoughts on that ?

Sounds to me a good blast is defo in order! Sitting around for that long could contribute to it I guess.

Demort might have a view, 0w oil probs isn't helping either, seals will be worn at 80k. I would definitely thicken up your oil, Baz recommends 10w for cars pushing 50k.

I thought IMS wasn't an issue on the 987 era?

10w 50 i will source then :thumb:

Do you know what dealer uses as first thing i did was a major from the dealer as it has full Porsche Service History.

My understanding was IMS was issue more so on Gen 1 3.4s and rectified after 2007 but not sure !!

Hmmmm, OPC uses the spec Mobil One 0w 40. Shame to drain new oil but I'd lean towards upping that.

Opie Oils are your friend for Millers.

Yearly oil changes are well worth it too, most on here drop the oil at least once a year. 2 year oil servicing is mental.

Check out the first page of my ownership thread, IMS isn't even on my radar.

OPC use 0w / 40 oil on these so if its good enough for them ..

Indys tend to use 5w/ 40 oil .. not a huge difference .

I would say run with the oil you have then switch to 5/40 .. waiste of good oil otherwise .. and you can always change it after a year as opposed to the 2 year normal service .

Ims had a larger bearing fitted from 2006 so yours probably has this and whilst these are not bullet proff there have been very few cases of these failing .

The IMS though .. its rare these days .. its possible but very unlikely ... if you are the kind of person thats going to worry about this everytime you drive the car ( i know several customers like this ) then i would say replace it just for peace of mind .. personnelly i dont see the need but some people do worry and this is the best way forward if you do .

Thanks again chaps.

Ill just enjoy the ride for now and try not to collect anymore penalty points
and like you said will change oil next year.

Awesome

Let's see some pics when you fit the LED spars! :thumbs:

happy chappy as LED Spars installed. love the look when lit.

Attachments

• led_614.jpg
    led_614.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2,566
It's a yes from me! Like the way they make the ducts look bigger, like a 996T for example.

What's going on in the middle there, got some mesh in there?!

You manage to hoover/blow all the crap out?

defo looks better, whats the recommended cleaning tips as i dont want to use anything that de-colours or fades the plastic?

Sorry the zip tie was a bodge job will put more subtle one in soon.

I don't have a mesh in the middle, i think its just the crap photography by me

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
midas
Back