Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M96 Engine Rebuild time

Hi Nedhan79,

It's one of those things that life sends your way once in a while isn't it?

But I can definitely say I went into 996 ownership with eyes open thanks to the forum, so couldn't complain too much.
Also, I count myself lucky to be able to afford to buy and run a car like this, as for many car enthusiasts they can't and for the kids born today, they may never know the joy of piloting a powerful combustion engine at full chat making noise like thunder!

I'm really enjoying the car. I recently went on a 850 mile round trip to North Wales, then Cardiff and back to Brighton. Car performed really well and took a lot of pleasure reving out the engine when i could.

Do I regret not going 3.7? Well I think if I mostly did motorway work maybe. My Dad has a BMW 130i with the direct injected N52 6 cylinder engine. The initial part throttle response in 6th gear at 70 mph is joltingly immediate where as my cable throttle 3.4 merely responds and builds. Though possibly in a more organic way.

That said, in all other areas of driving, no, not at all. The engine is responsive and torquey, really gets going after 4200 rpm and feels very strong in the 4500 up region.

Money no object yes 3.7, otherwise there are other areas I would spend money first, such as upgraded suspension and lighter alloys etc.

In answer to using a 3.8 s engine from a later model, pretty much as Robertb has said I think. I'm sure it could be done, but they have well documented issues themselves with bore scoring. Also a used engine may cost around £5000 at least, then there I'm not sure if gearbox could be made to fit without mods as well as the engine management differences. You'd probably have to use the earlier cars DME, which might not run the variocam plus. The list is long I suspect...?

I have never tried an Impreza turbo, they look great fun and have had great reviews from Evo magazine. Especially the P1 and RB5. Wish I'd had a go in one before committing to the Porker!

Cheers

The p1 was a fantastic car. It often gets compared to the rb5 but realistically it's like comparing our 3.4's to a gt3 rs or possibly more of a gap between the 2. One is basically a chipped basic uk car and the other based on the 2 door wrc stuff. I had the engine built by a very highly respected guy over here in Northern Ireland( google Oma worlds fastest Subaru Legacy). He built me a 2.1 forged unit that I then worked on the rest of the ancillaries. It only made 308bhp and 331 lb/ft last year on a rolling rd but what I can say is that I'll never get the 996 to go like it did.
But I wanted a 911 and I've ended up here with a 3.4 aero kitted car and I'm very happy with it. It needs work like them all but I'll get there. I'm hoping to never have to rebuild it but you never know. Like you, I know that I'm lucky to have a 911 in the garage. Not in great shape to use it atm due to a back injury but at least it's there and it's mine!
I really like the porting you did in your exhaust manifolds, this is something I did with the p1 and ported and polished the turbo. You might never notice the difference but all the small details make it better than it was before.
Wish you all the luck with the car and your journey is one that helps the rest of with any decisions and problems that we may come across. :thumbs:

Cheers. :thumb:

Always good to hear comparisons from people who have actually owned these cars. A Journo's opinion in an old magazine article that was based on a short drive sometimes gets repeated over and over on the internet, until it assumes a biblical importance. Some cars assigned mythical beast status, whilst others are consigned to the scrapheap. I am of course a complete sucker for it as much as anyone.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back