Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 92
996 : 1997-2005 44
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 17
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
DucatiRob
Barcelona


Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 1401
Location: Milton Keynes

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been anticipating selling mine on when it hit 80k too, which it is now just only a few months away, maybe by Spring! Originally I'd intended to keep it a couple of years then upgrade to a Gen2. Bore scoring and a Hartech rebuild put paid to that idea, so resigned myself to keeping it for at least another couple of years! However, having now carried out a fair few mods that, for me, have transformed the car into the car I really wanted, I can't see myself selling it for at least another 3 to 5 years, maybe even a keeper!

I had a test drive in a 991 early this year, lovely car but quite different to the 997 and confirmed for me that my money is best spent on enjoying my car, road trips and more mods Very Happy The only other cars I lust after are GT3s/RSs, but that will have to wait until I retire or win the lotto!

Everyone has their own wants/needs so whatever you decide, good luck Thumb
_________________
Present
Carrera C2S Manual
Mercedes CLK DD
Ducati 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jl-c
Newbie


Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 27
Location: Shropshire


PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob my mate recently bought a 997 GT3, it's serious fun but you realise that the 0-60 time is the same as ours? Flat chat though, Oh that howl Very Happy Very Happy
_________________
Porsche Carrera 2S 2005 black, BMW Z4 coupé 2007 blue, Mazda Eunos 1996 yellow, VW Passat 2014 black.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
M&MD&D
Newbie


Joined: 28 Jul 2015
Posts: 26



PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Here’s my 2p to consider. IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it’s the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer. There are so many mods available as it’s a few years old now. The gen1 honestly is a more fun car as the gen2 got a bit refined and the dfi engine I don’t like as much as the gen 1 engine. I really wouldn’t worry about mileage as the big thing in the future with the gen1 will be has it been rebuilt by Hartech and made bullet proof, these are the cars that will be more desirable and command a premium. So with all that in mind it is my opinion that the most desired non flagship watercooled 911 in the future will be a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 3.8 manual then tip. So do your mods, enjoy your car, add the miles and then get a Hartech rebuild which will be far cheaper than an upgrade to a 997.2 or 991. Grin a more enjoyable ownership and better long term financial option Thumb


My bolding.

I very much like that you say this as someone who has a 997.1 tiptronic thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I was very fortunate to get it from a very reputable indy (Revolution) who looked after my 987. They knew the car and checked it over with a fine toothcomb before selling it to me and they will look after it going forward -- for me, it is worth the drive up from London.

Fingers crossed I remain a happy 997 owner
.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Poker2009
Imola


Joined: 09 Sep 2009
Posts: 871
Location: London


PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&MD&D wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
Here’s my 2p to consider. IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it’s the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer. There are so many mods available as it’s a few years old now. The gen1 honestly is a more fun car as the gen2 got a bit refined and the dfi engine I don’t like as much as the gen 1 engine. I really wouldn’t worry about mileage as the big thing in the future with the gen1 will be has it been rebuilt by Hartech and made bullet proof, these are the cars that will be more desirable and command a premium. So with all that in mind it is my opinion that the most desired non flagship watercooled 911 in the future will be a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 3.8 manual then tip. So do your mods, enjoy your car, add the miles and then get a Hartech rebuild which will be far cheaper than an upgrade to a 997.2 or 991. Grin a more enjoyable ownership and better long term financial option Thumb


My bolding.

I very much like that you say this as someone who has a 997.1 tiptronic thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I was very fortunate to get it from a very reputable indy (Revolution) who looked after my 987. They knew the car and checked it over with a fine toothcomb before selling it to me and they will look after it going forward -- for me, it is worth the drive up from London.

Fingers crossed I remain a happy 997 owner
.


Sorry to burst your bubble, but he is saying Manual will be most desirable followed by Tip!
_________________
997.1 C2S, Black, Feb 2005: tiny IMS bearing, 60k miles, original engine.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
DucatiRob
Barcelona


Joined: 22 Jul 2015
Posts: 1401
Location: Milton Keynes

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jl-c wrote:
DucatiRob my mate recently bought a 997 GT3, it's serious fun but you realise that the 0-60 time is the same as ours? Flat chat though, Oh that howl Very Happy Very Happy


Yes, I know... but that howl worship worth every penny of that extra £50k
_________________
Present
Carrera C2S Manual
Mercedes CLK DD
Ducati 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Jay.
Montreal


Joined: 20 Oct 2015
Posts: 511
Location: Brize Norton


PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through 80k miles last month and it was actually quite a weight off the shoulders - I had been considering selling the car as it approached 70/75k but made the decision to keep it for a little longer. I'm enjoying putting the miles on it again, which I lost the last 5000 miles or so.
_________________
2004 996 Turbo
Seal Grey
Motec 19" Alloys
AMG Flappy Paddles

1972 Datsun 240z
RB25DET
Devil Z


Follow me on Instagram! @rb.240z
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Barcelona


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1292
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why 80k is such a special number in terms of mileage (maybe I live in a snow cave? perhaps someone can elaborate), but I'd keep it, run it, modify it, love it, as it seems to me from this distance that now is not a good time to sell any 911 in the UK. If you have spare money put it into another asset category.

Funnily enough I just saw a 9971 3.8 C4S (custom blue paint, 20s, two piece discs, manual) around here for sale with well over 250,000km on the clock, and it looked fabulous. The dealer also drives a 911... It was priced at about 40% of the insurance value of my car (@55,000km) and it simply doesn't look a day older. Even if you had to spend 10k on a rebuild, it would be a glorious car for the money. Grin
_________________
2010 9972 C4S PDK: Carrara White, Sea Blue. Mostly driven, lightly modified, occasionally tracked, and usually a bit grubby.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rabbitstew
Hockenheim


Joined: 21 Aug 2015
Posts: 650



PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
I don't know why 80k is such a special number in terms of mileage


Its down to the psychological 100,000 miles means a car is useless thing. By selling the car off at 80k miles, its far enough away from 100,000 for the next "average" Porsche owner to have a couple of years of use (maybe 4k miles a year), then still sell it with 8*,000 miles to the next guy etc.

I had the same dilemma when my 997 got into the 80,000 mile range. I figured if I wanted to sell then now was the time. But then I also figured once it goes over 100k miles then would a car with 101,000 on the clock be worth more than one with 116,000 on the clock? Probably not, which meant once I hit 100k miles it wouldnt really make any difference what mileage I did after then.

So, in the end I just kept the car. Its now got 101800 on it and im not ever planning on selling it. Its a weight of my shoulders now not worrying about mileage.

People always say buy on condition, not mileage, but in reality in the UK mileage does put people off. Condition wise, my car has just had a complete inspection and mechanical overall, with any worn bits which were flagged as needing replacement being replaced. And ive had a couple of garages comment on how good a condition it is underneath compared to some *lot* lower mile cars they have seen.
_________________
2008 997.1 Turbo Manual - 585whp thanks to do88 & 9e
2000 Ducati 996
1999 Yamaha R1
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 14527
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:


IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it’s the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer.



Did 2.5 inches really make that much of a difference. Question

I've driven nearly every variant of 997 and 991 and size was the least of the differences I noticed.


2.5" always make all the difference Terry Grin Grin it is only my opinion but its not just the physical size of the 991 its just a softer looking car than the 997 its just has a bigger softer feel about it which I believe is intentional by Porsche as they seem to have focussed their efforts on the cayman being the new sports car. only time will tell if the 991 3.8 or 997 will be considered the last of the best but the 991 certainly has far more driver aids which remove a lot of the enjoyment and focus which may be why it feels a bit of a grand tourer. having said that the same can be said of the 997.2 v the 996 re driver focus. Dont know All I do know is we need to all enjoy these big engine cars as they are the last of the breed as we are seeing (not hearing) so many more electric cars , I can't yet buy one just incase the Government do the same with Electric as they did with Diesel after encouraging us all to buy them. (still amazed theres no class action against the government over Diesels after years of pushing us into them) nooo
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Barcelona


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1292
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbitstew wrote:
MaxA wrote:
I don't know why 80k is such a special number in terms of mileage


Its down to the psychological 100,000 miles means a car is useless thing. By selling the car off at 80k miles, its far enough away from 100,000 for the next "average" Porsche owner to have a couple of years of use (maybe 4k miles a year), then still sell it with 8*,000 miles to the next guy etc.

I had the same dilemma when my 997 got into the 80,000 mile range. I figured if I wanted to sell then now was the time. But then I also figured once it goes over 100k miles then would a car with 101,000 on the clock be worth more than one with 116,000 on the clock? Probably not, which meant once I hit 100k miles it wouldnt really make any difference what mileage I did after then.

So, in the end I just kept the car. Its now got 101800 on it and im not ever planning on selling it. Its a weight of my shoulders now not worrying about mileage.

People always say buy on condition, not mileage, but in reality in the UK mileage does put people off. Condition wise, my car has just had a complete inspection and mechanical overall, with any worn bits which were flagged as needing replacement being replaced. And ive had a couple of garages comment on how good a condition it is underneath compared to some *lot* lower mile cars they have seen.


Thanks. Helpful. It seems to me that 100,000 miles is a bit arbitrary (even though it's a round number) as that threshhold doesn't really work when ýou're driving kilometres. For example, I've bought second hand cars with 9,000km [which I still have], 25,000km, 82,000km, and 141,000 km [that one I sold for a profit], and I'm looking at one with 122,000km right now.
_________________
2010 9972 C4S PDK: Carrara White, Sea Blue. Mostly driven, lightly modified, occasionally tracked, and usually a bit grubby.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 14692
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:


It seems to me that 100,000 miles is a bit arbitrary (even though it's a round number) as that threshhold doesn't really work when ýou're driving kilometres.



It's not arbitrary, it's part of UK motoring history as traditionally odometers reverted to 00000 after 99999.

Cars with 100k miles+ have always been regarded as being on their 'second time around'.
_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Barcelona


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1292
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
MaxA wrote:


It seems to me that 100,000 miles is a bit arbitrary (even though it's a round number) as that threshhold doesn't really work when ýou're driving kilometres.



It's not arbitrary, it's part of UK motoring history as traditionally odometers reverted to 00000 after 99999.

Cars with 100k miles+ have always been regarded as being on their 'second time around'.


Thanks for the explanation T8. It must have been some time ago that the odometer was only 5 numbers, but now I am enlightened.
_________________
2010 9972 C4S PDK: Carrara White, Sea Blue. Mostly driven, lightly modified, occasionally tracked, and usually a bit grubby.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum