Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dashboard removal

rickprice

Folks,

My dashboard has an annoying squeak as I drive along. If I push on the dashboard (say, above the cupholders) the squeak stops.

I am therefore assuming that the squeak is from the front dash part moving against the back.

Is there a way of just loosening the part, so that I can clean and lubricate the area? I don't really want to take the whole thing apart, just want to stop the squeak.

Many thanks,

Richard

I'd be having a crack at taking the glove box out first to see if you can see up underneath it before removing the dash itself. Or you can become a 997 Zen master and learn to block out the squeaks and rattles.

Try driving a Targa! It's creaks like the Cutty Sark under full sail. I'm thinking of adding a ships bell for the full effect... :grin:

I suspect the squeaks and rattles would multiply if you disassemble...

Personally, I'd shove a bit of folded card in a hidden gap and see if that improves things. A similar fixture generally becomes part of any car I own!

A spot of well-aimed silicone lube can also help...

Ive just had a similar noise on a 997 Targa .. i was stopping the usual roof noises when i herd this one .. rather annoying to say the least !!

Ok unfortunatly its the metal clips that locate the dash to the bodywork .. it would require dash removal to get at .. heater box is behind the glove box im afraid so i doubt youll get near these little buggers any other way .

Ok so what i did .. i cheated but this will only work if its the far left clip (metal )

Front left speaker in the dash.. i pulled the cover off .. the little tweeter in there is a bit of a bitch to remove but with a bit of .. er .. umm .. persuassion i levered it out ..

Then i used a lubricateing spray .. this was called 1040 and has teflon as the lub. agent .. anyways .. upend the can , thin pipe towards the clip and i gave it a good spray ... you cant see the clip but just aim towards the windscreen.

I pressed the dashboard many times and it slowly stopped the creak .

Job done i then went back to the roof noises .. sigh .. i could write a book on these .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back