Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lowering the tone

Thefinn

A couple of months ago I was planning to track my 997 but after being messed around by an organiser and having a rethink about whether it was that sensible to start my track career in my P&J I didn't actually get on the track. So having a think I decided to scratch two itch's in one go by buying a mk1 mx5 that I have always wanted to own to see if the reviews are true and also get a car I don't mind ragging on the track.

I am not sure if you can class this as a performance marque and I am probably going to get shot down but here is my slightly tatty hair dresser / boy racer car that has gas pro coil overs, poly bushed and braced, with piper cams, ITB's and a reworked head and uprated clutch all mapped to a massive 159bhp by Skuzzle.

Attachments

• 20181118_133101_131.jpg
    20181118_133101_131.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 5,981
  • 20181118_121245_195.jpg
    20181118_121245_195.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 5,981
Looks great.

Look foreward to the first track report. :thumbs:

Lowering the tone? Not a chance.

The MX5 Is an incredible machine, one of the best gearboxes in mass production yet to be seen. Rear wheel drive thrills galore, they are right up there with the best of drives to be had in my view.

Quality car that everyone should be made to learn how to drive in. I used to track one back home and regularly razz up the big V8 Aussie muscle cars.
Can only imagine how good a track prepped version steers like. You'll have a blast

Thanks for the comments, I have to say on the few drives I have done so far it has me grinning from ear to ear it's such fun and you really have to thrash the 1.6 into the high revs to get the best from it but it laps it up. The power steering has been removed so the feedback through the wheel is amazing I am sure I felt a fag paper when I drove over it, although it is incredibly heavy when manoeuvring.

I love it. An MX5 is an itch I'm yet to scratch.

Mk1s are my favourite. Yours is in the best colour too.
That looks like great fun and definitely a wise move vs tracking your 911. Better costs and arguably more fun. :thumb:

Good idea. I'm currently in the market for a standard MX5 for my son - we will have a joint project. 8)

8)

Was looking at a sh!tty £450 one on eBay last night :grin:

:thumb:

You'll absolutely love it, they're amazing little cars and perfect for the track - easy to learn tricky to master.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions - I've owned an Mx5 for around 6 years and had every iteration - ITB/Supercharged/Turbo/Stroker Turbo

Jay. said:
You'll absolutely love it, they're amazing little cars and perfect for the track - easy to learn tricky to master.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions - I've owned an Mx5 for around 6 years and had every iteration - ITB/Supercharged/Turbo/Stroker Turbo

Thanks Jay. Hope you don't mind if I do ask a couple of questions.

Jay. said:

Thanks Jay out of your list which did you find gave the most useable performance as I nearly bought a turbo a couple of months back but this itb although slower seems to put it down more evenly :?:

MaxA said:
Jay. said:

Thanks Jay. Hope you don't mind if I do ask a couple of questions.

No worries, help yourself! I secretly still love these cars. I have a turbo one in bits in the garage but it hasn't been touched in a year :(

Thefinn said:
Jay. said:

Thanks Jay out of your list which did you find gave the most useable performance as I nearly bought a turbo a couple of months back but this itb although slower seems to put it down more evenly :?:

On a day to day basis or on the track? .. The ITB one is the easiest to use, it's got less power and it's very linear. I had a lot of fun with the supercharged one as it was still a linear power delivery but a bit more power (around 215bhp) - required a bit more thinking as to when you could plant your foot. With a turbo car you need to consider the power range as you'll be down on power until the boost kicks in, so driving around to stay at the higher range was more important than the other variants. Turbo cars are the easiest to buy/increase power though - the last one was around 340bhp which was an absolute handful

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back