Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reversing Camera

FZP said:
Do these cameras flip or pop open to stop the accumulation of dirt on the lens or is it up to you to keep the lens clean at all times. Wouldn't it be a P.I.T.A in winter :dont know:

You CAN get all sorts of clever systems - but I paid £8.29 for mine, so it's... basic ;)
So yes, it will get dirty - but's IP67 so nothing the odd hose-down won't fix :thumb:

The term 30 is always on but the unit in operation in theory would not use it .

Term 30 = permanent feed .

The term 15 is a bit of a weak feed at 0.5 wire so it would have to be a very small current to use this wire and so i cant be sure on this one.

Term 15 is ignition on .

2 amp .. a bit more than i would like on this wire .

Reverse light wire is an option and i think i would be happier if you used this .

Bear in mind im not doing the work or fixing these cars so i try to maintain a safety aspect even though it may not be needed .

No worries Iain
I have the option of using a known "good" ignition switched feed at the Head unit - but the feed for the reversing bulb is starting to look more and more simple and straight-forward

And I'm all for removing faff from the equation! :thumbs:

Here is the thread for fitting my switchable exhausts - in it Demort gives the details for a switched live in the engine bay taking a splice off the lambda sensors at the main loom plug.....

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116061&highlight=

.....it stays live for a while after shut down but in 2 years has never given me any issues.

...... cause he's an automotive leg end :bow:

I started doing this based on the instructions here https://cai-store.com/pages/911-backup-camera-installation-overview . They suggest taking a feed from the reversing lights, obviously means the camera is only powered when you engage reverse, some seem to want to be able to use it when driving so would need a switched feed.

I got as far as running a hole through the grommet into the passenger compartment, but then found I was trying to feed a wire into the sound insulation above the rear wheel area. Apparently there is some space for feeding wires into. I had to stop at that point and just get the rest of the head unit etc fitted, I haven't had a chance to try again.

Has anyone got a tip on running the wire into the right place?

Once it is into the passenger compartment the rest appears to be relatively simple (probably means it won't be now!).

I've made progress!!
But it's two steps forward and one back..

On the off-side rear, about 6 inches behind the rear light, is where the cable loom passes through the bulkhead. above this point is another grommet / pass-through area that's not used, so I used that. Hey presto!! If i stuff my hand into the area inside the engine bay, i get a dirty hand... But I can feel the end of the cable poking through. :)

I've coiled the cable in the void underneath the rear quarter speaker as now I'm stuck... the plastic sill section that contains the boot/bonnet switches..How do i remove it? There are two plugs, I removed those, but I can't figure what I need to undo? I shoved all sorts of implements into the holes without any success (where have I heard that before...)

i'm going to google it though.. But just in case someone knows here, let me know :)

Next steps:
Get the cable run up to the head unit, under the sill
Get the bumper off
Drill a hole in the bumper (eeek)
splice off the power from the reverse bulb feed. Two wires are needed here - one to power the camera and the other to provide a signal to the H/U to tell it it's in reverse.
put it all back together!!

so yeah, a little way to go!

Plastic plugs out then a 5mm allen key .. you have to fish around a bit but the bolt is basically straight in line with the hole .. you only need to loosen them NOT undo completly.

Then you carefully pull the panel up as there is also trim clips that hold it down .

Brilliant! Thanks - took me a while to find a 5mm right-angled Allen key mind... lol

Cable is now routed and connected to the head unit!So that's the video and the reverse signal wire, routed from the engine compartment, under the roof cover, under the sill, around the footwell, to the back of the H/U

I'm a happy boy :thumbs:

There's plenty of slack in the cable and the next step is to get the bumper off and do all the business at that end :thumb:

finished! :thumb:

I'll be writing a bit of a FAQ for the sub-section.

All in all, it's a bit low - but the car dictates the position, still, better than nothing and at least I cat see when the cat is sat behind me! :grin:

If the camera head is anything like the one i fitted then you can fit a wedge type spacer under it to alter the angle .. think of a door wedge .. it lifts the camera upwards .

I was thinking the same thing Iain - though it is a snug fit :thumb:

Link to OneDrive is as good as I get, Let me know if you can or can't see them:

The hole (scary drilling this - no going back!)
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak7OTAfmTrHxyjctpP88GcScWLNt

And the camera fitted:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak7OTAfmTrHxyjbbZmWc-PXlLZL2

Thats it .. similar to the one i fitted .. mine came with a few "spacers " that were wedge shaped and they altered the angle .. all you need to do is put something behind the back part of the camera.

This is what i did to get the right angle .

Nothing wrong with your fitment and they are pretty small and not really noticable.

Mine didn't come with any wedges - that's me being a cheapskate! lol - but I'll fabricate something..

as you can see from this
it's mostly ground :D - but fixable!

No idea why the URL tag isn't working properly.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back