Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How many manual Gen 2 3.6 Carreras?

MattyR

Imola
In anticipation of picking up my (new to me) Gen 2 C2 Carrera from the excellent Spider Detailing, I got talking with my brother today about 997.2 production numbers, rarity and so forth.

I believe I am correct in stating that some 10.5k narrowbody 3.6 Carreras were produced. What with the excellent PDK being the first choice for most people's transmission the manual cars seem pretty thin on the ground. Apparently only around 10% made with a manual box. Can this be true? That would mean just over 1000 units. Seems petty crazy if that's the case and rather a rare beast?..

Mot sure about actual numbers but PDK was the gearbox of choice at the time. You must also consider at the time of release, there was the financial crisis in full swing, so less cars were produced than the models before and after.

I've got one and I love it :cloud9:

James M-S said:
I've got one and I love it :cloud9:

Looks lovely James. I like the stick-on plate. You've got to love the clean lines of a base Carrera.

Cheers! No rear wiper either. Only visual problem is ride height when parked next to PASM carrera S.

I've heard similar figures mentioned for our 'misery spec' Carreras before. 10% manual feels a little low though. :dont know:

Enjoy yours when you get it. It'll sound like a sewing machine compared to your 993!

MattyR said:
I believe I am correct in stating that some 10.5k narrowbody 3.6 Carreras were produced. What with the excellent PDK being the first choice for most people's transmission the manual cars seem pretty thin on the ground. Apparently only around 10% made with a manual box. Can this be true? That would mean just over 1000 units. Seems petty crazy if that's the case and rather a rare beast?..

Only 7190 C2 narrow bodied Gen2 Coupes were produced but even so 1000 seems low. There's probably only that many in the UK though.

EDIT: 3908 Cabs would probably give the 10.5k you first stated.

approximately 997 Gen 1 3.6 Carrera about 60% were manual

That dropped to 40% as manuals for the 3.6 Gen 2

which drops further to 20% as manuals for 991 3.4 Carrera

moonigan said:
If the data on howmanyleft is to be believed then the figure is around 600 between 2008-2011.

'Howmanyleft' is an indication of UK registrations rather than Production figures.

That 600 figure confirms that the 3.6 is probably less common than the 'S' in the UK. It doesn't show the split between manual and PDK cars though.

Quick search on Pistonheads shows 13 manual Gen 2 Carrera's currently for sale.

I've got Gen 2 - 3.6 Carrera 4 Wide body with manual box & love it that way

I believe there is approx 1300 manuals worldwide total all variants from memory may have been a stat on hear at sometime.

Attachments

• img_5097_164.jpg
    img_5097_164.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 2,111
Hamster75 said:
I've got Gen 2 - 3.6 Carrera 4 Wide body with manual box & love it that way

I believe there is approx 1300 manuals worldwide total all variants from memory may have been a stat on hear at sometime.

Hamster, nice motor chap. Looks great in white :thumb:

It's a bit mad if those production numbers are even remotely accurate. I'd love the true world wide production numbers for all 3.6 manual variants. That would be ace. I'll have a hunt.

In the meantime; enjoy those base model Gen 2 Carreras because they seem quite rare

:)

Hamster75 said:

Over 76k Gen 2 cars were produced in total so the worldwide total number of manual cars would have been far greater than 1300.

I'm pretty sure that the actual number of manual and PDK cars aren't available to view anywhere. The 1300 figure you mention may have been a guess seen on here regarding the total number of UK cars.

I have a manual gen2 4s. People always seem surprised it's manual but I have no ideas of numbers produced of manual gen2 cars. :thumb:

T8 said:
Hamster75 said:

Over 76k Gen 2 cars were produced in total so the worldwide total number of manual cars would have been far greater than 1300.

I'm pretty sure that the actual number of manual and PDK cars aren't available to view anywhere. The 1300 figure you mention may have been a guess seen on here regarding the total number of UK cars.

Given that figure of 76K my figure of 1300 is probably a load of bollox :floor:
As sure they would have made a lot more in that case, would love to know the number of UK manuals.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back