Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sell my 997 before 80k miles?

Seems to me that it is a 'man maths' argument to justify changing the car. In the real world it will cost far more to swap it out for something else than your current car would lose in mileage related depreciation.

What you "think" your car is worth is usually a lot more than what you will actually get - you can do as much "research " as you want. You have to find a buyer, and people normally start high, and then when they really really want to sell, have to drop their prices by thousands, to start getting calls, and eventually have someone come round and buy it.

The 993, 964 etc, they may be in theory worth 30k, 50k or 80k, but do they actually sell? I see some on this forum, listed for months!

The newer cars, yes look a bit prettier, and have more up-to-date gadgets, but when you drive them, they will not feel any or much better than your current one. To get in a decent spec brand new 911 I think you are looking at £100k+.

Rather than engine trouble (which can be fixed at a lot less than buying a new car), suspension, cooling etc, my biggest concern with my own car will be corrosion.

Phil 997 said:
IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it's the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer.

Did 2.5 inches really make that much of a difference. :?:

I've driven nearly every variant of 997 and 991 and size was the least of the differences I noticed.

Very sensible post by Poker2009 and I agree completely. It's so easy to get carried away with the "shiny shiny" element of a new car (even if not brand new), but OP you say you want to be unemotional about this.
So, don't let the buzz of retail therapy get in your head. Stick with what you've got - which you say you're happy with overall.
Invest in that new apartment would be my advice.

resigner said:
a 991 really shouldn't be a dream car.

Keep the car, do the mods you want, make it perfect for you, never sell it. You won't get back money for the mods. A large majority of people don't wan't a modified 911, we want an original one. Market for cars across the board is down at the moment.

I am similar in that mine has 78k miles, I plan to keep it for life as it is just amazing. Mine is my daily driver, one day I will add a new daily, but aim to keep it.

:agree: If you've modded your car to how you want it.....why sell it on to lose money? Mine is stock with no mods, and at 4 years older than when I bought it I've been offered more than I paid for it.
Drive it for years to come and see of you can beat KP964's 266k miles (and counting), they get nicer with age :thumb:

I had been anticipating selling mine on when it hit 80k too, which it is now just only a few months away, maybe by Spring! Originally I'd intended to keep it a couple of years then upgrade to a Gen2. Bore scoring and a Hartech rebuild put paid to that idea, so resigned myself to keeping it for at least another couple of years! However, having now carried out a fair few mods that, for me, have transformed the car into the car I really wanted, I can't see myself selling it for at least another 3 to 5 years, maybe even a keeper!

I had a test drive in a 991 early this year, lovely car but quite different to the 997 and confirmed for me that my money is best spent on enjoying my car, road trips and more mods :D The only other cars I lust after are GT3s/RSs, but that will have to wait until I retire or win the lotto!

Everyone has their own wants/needs so whatever you decide, good luck :thumb:

DucatiRob my mate recently bought a 997 GT3, it's serious fun but you realise that the 0-60 time is the same as ours? Flat chat though, Oh that howl :D :D

Phil 997 said:
Here's my 2p to consider. IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it's the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer. There are so many mods available as it's a few years old now. The gen1 honestly is a more fun car as the gen2 got a bit refined and the dfi engine I don't like as much as the gen 1 engine. I really wouldn't worry about mileage as the big thing in the future with the gen1 will be has it been rebuilt by Hartech and made bullet proof, these are the cars that will be more desirable and command a premium. So with all that in mind it is my opinion that the most desired non flagship watercooled 911 in the future will be a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 3.8 manual then tip. So do your mods, enjoy your car, add the miles and then get a Hartech rebuild which will be far cheaper than an upgrade to a 997.2 or 991. :grin: a more enjoyable ownership and better long term financial option :thumb:

My bolding.

I very much like that you say this as someone who has a 997.1 tiptronic :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I was very fortunate to get it from a very reputable indy (Revolution) who looked after my 987. They knew the car and checked it over with a fine toothcomb before selling it to me and they will look after it going forward -- for me, it is worth the drive up from London.

Fingers crossed I remain a happy 997 owner

M&MD&D said:
Phil 997 said:
Here's my 2p to consider. IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it's the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer. There are so many mods available as it's a few years old now. The gen1 honestly is a more fun car as the gen2 got a bit refined and the dfi engine I don't like as much as the gen 1 engine. I really wouldn't worry about mileage as the big thing in the future with the gen1 will be has it been rebuilt by Hartech and made bullet proof, these are the cars that will be more desirable and command a premium. So with all that in mind it is my opinion that the most desired non flagship watercooled 911 in the future will be a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 3.8 manual then tip. So do your mods, enjoy your car, add the miles and then get a Hartech rebuild which will be far cheaper than an upgrade to a 997.2 or 991. :grin: a more enjoyable ownership and better long term financial option :thumb:

My bolding.

I very much like that you say this as someone who has a 997.1 tiptronic :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I was very fortunate to get it from a very reputable indy (Revolution) who looked after my 987. They knew the car and checked it over with a fine toothcomb before selling it to me and they will look after it going forward -- for me, it is worth the drive up from London.

Fingers crossed I remain a happy 997 owner

Sorry to burst your bubble, but he is saying Manual will be most desirable followed by Tip!

jl-c said:
DucatiRob my mate recently bought a 997 GT3, it's serious fun but you realise that the 0-60 time is the same as ours? Flat chat though, Oh that howl :D :D

Yes, I know... but that howl :worship: worth every penny of that extra £50k

I went through 80k miles last month and it was actually quite a weight off the shoulders - I had been considering selling the car as it approached 70/75k but made the decision to keep it for a little longer. I'm enjoying putting the miles on it again, which I lost the last 5000 miles or so.

I don't know why 80k is such a special number in terms of mileage (maybe I live in a snow cave? perhaps someone can elaborate), but I'd keep it, run it, modify it, love it, as it seems to me from this distance that now is not a good time to sell any 911 in the UK. If you have spare money put it into another asset category.

Funnily enough I just saw a 9971 3.8 C4S (custom blue paint, 20s, two piece discs, manual) around here for sale with well over 250,000km on the clock, and it looked fabulous. The dealer also drives a 911... It was priced at about 40% of the Insurance value of my car (@55,000km) and it simply doesn't look a day older. Even if you had to spend 10k on a rebuild, it would be a glorious car for the money. :grin:

MaxA said:
I don't know why 80k is such a special number in terms of mileage

Its down to the psychological 100,000 miles means a car is useless thing. By selling the car off at 80k miles, its far enough away from 100,000 for the next "average" Porsche owner to have a couple of years of use (maybe 4k miles a year), then still sell it with 8*,000 miles to the next guy etc.

I had the same dilemma when my 997 got into the 80,000 mile range. I figured if I wanted to sell then now was the time. But then I also figured once it goes over 100k miles then would a car with 101,000 on the clock be worth more than one with 116,000 on the clock? Probably not, which meant once I hit 100k miles it wouldnt really make any difference what mileage I did after then.

So, in the end I just kept the car. Its now got 101800 on it and im not ever planning on selling it. Its a weight of my shoulders now not worrying about mileage.

People always say buy on condition, not mileage, but in reality in the UK mileage does put people off. Condition wise, my car has just had a complete inspection and mechanical overall, with any worn bits which were flagged as needing replacement being replaced. And ive had a couple of garages comment on how good a condition it is underneath compared to some *lot* lower mile cars they have seen.

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:
IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it's the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer.

Did 2.5 inches really make that much of a difference. :?:

I've driven nearly every variant of 997 and 991 and size was the least of the differences I noticed.

2.5" always make all the difference Terry :grin: :grin: it is only my opinion but its not just the physical size of the 991 its just a softer looking car than the 997 its just has a bigger softer feel about it which I believe is intentional by Porsche as they seem to have focussed their efforts on the cayman being the new sports car. only time will tell if the 991 3.8 or 997 will be considered the last of the best but the 991 certainly has far more driver aids which remove a lot of the enjoyment and focus which may be why it feels a bit of a grand tourer. having said that the same can be said of the 997.2 v the 996 re driver focus. :dont know: All I do know is we need to all enjoy these big engine cars as they are the last of the breed as we are seeing (not hearing) so many more electric cars , I can't yet buy one just incase the Government do the same with Electric as they did with Diesel after encouraging us all to buy them. (still amazed theres no class action against the government over Diesels after years of pushing us into them) :nooo:

rabbitstew said:
MaxA said:
I don't know why 80k is such a special number in terms of mileage

Its down to the psychological 100,000 miles means a car is useless thing. By selling the car off at 80k miles, its far enough away from 100,000 for the next "average" Porsche owner to have a couple of years of use (maybe 4k miles a year), then still sell it with 8*,000 miles to the next guy etc.

I had the same dilemma when my 997 got into the 80,000 mile range. I figured if I wanted to sell then now was the time. But then I also figured once it goes over 100k miles then would a car with 101,000 on the clock be worth more than one with 116,000 on the clock? Probably not, which meant once I hit 100k miles it wouldnt really make any difference what mileage I did after then.

So, in the end I just kept the car. Its now got 101800 on it and im not ever planning on selling it. Its a weight of my shoulders now not worrying about mileage.

People always say buy on condition, not mileage, but in reality in the UK mileage does put people off. Condition wise, my car has just had a complete inspection and mechanical overall, with any worn bits which were flagged as needing replacement being replaced. And ive had a couple of garages comment on how good a condition it is underneath compared to some *lot* lower mile cars they have seen.

Thanks. Helpful. It seems to me that 100,000 miles is a bit arbitrary (even though it's a round number) as that threshhold doesn't really work when à½ou're driving kilometres. For example, I've bought second hand cars with 9,000km [which I still have], 25,000km, 82,000km, and 141,000 km [that one I sold for a profit], and I'm looking at one with 122,000km right now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back