Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sell my 997 before 80k miles?

TBE997

My car slowly but surely approaching the 80k miles mark (i'm on 77k at the moment and I recon ill hit 80k by the summer) and the last few weeks I have been thinking a lot whether I should sell her or not.

Im overall happy with the car but there are a few more upgrades that i would love to do but I start to question whether that's worth the money as it won't get that back in the future sell price (numeric shifter, bilstein, DSC, Alcantara interior etc).

To put it in context, I bought the car for 32k last year and checking on auto trader they are going for 25k or even less (auto trader car valuation suggest 23k). With all my upgrades etc I recon I can put her up for 27-28k and if revert to stock and sell my exhaust etc, maybe I can get another 1-2k.

The question is do it sell now(or next few months) or am I just to pessimistic on high mileage and resale value?

My dream car would be a 991 4S, but I think given I'm eyeing a new apartment, I'll probably need something in-between in the meantime should I sell (or obviously keep the car beyond 80k miles)

Happy to hear your thoughts, I know this is a very subjective topic, and I am trying to be as unemotional as I can about it.

Wait till the markets full of 992s.

Not sure 77k or 80k will make a great deal of difference in buyers minds. More important will be the condition of the car.

I can't imagine it would make financial sense to buy a 'stopgap' in between your 997 and 991 as it would be another car to lose money on in the meantime, plus any costs.

a 991 really shouldn't be a dream car.

Keep the car, do the mods you want, make it perfect for you, never sell it. You won't get back money for the mods. A large majority of people don't wan't a modified 911, we want an original one. Market for cars across the board is down at the moment.

I am similar in that mine has 78k miles, I plan to keep it for life as it is just amazing. Mine is my daily driver, one day I will add a new daily, but aim to keep it.

Robertb said:
Not sure 77k or 80k will make a great deal of difference in buyers minds. More important will be the condition of the car.

I can't imagine it would make financial sense to buy a 'stopgap' in between your 997 and 991 as it would be another car to lose money on in the meantime, plus any costs.

:agree: the spreads on selling now and buying a stop gap then selling that and buying a 991 will be way more than any hit for taking the mileage over 80k and moving to a 991 later.

Another vote to do the mods and keep it forever... i'm sure there will be a day when I want a newer/better spec/faster 911. When that happens my current one will just go into retirement.

Maybe it a 'First Porsche' thing but I'd sooner get rid of one of the kids than my car.

Thanks for your opinions. Been going back and forth in my head and wanted to speak to like-minded!

For some reason I have in my head that I should sell the car before 80k or else I should expect another drop in price. And given that I am close to that, I should stop modding and frankly I struggle to not change anything, even if I had a new car I would probably start looking at changing things to make it more personal.

Thanks again, I think if anything I will probably try to focus on cheaper Moda throughout the summer and see where I stand in march

Here's my 2p to consider. IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it's the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer. There are so many mods available as it's a few years old now. The gen1 honestly is a more fun car as the gen2 got a bit refined and the dfi engine I don't like as much as the gen 1 engine. I really wouldn't worry about mileage as the big thing in the future with the gen1 will be has it been rebuilt by Hartech and made bullet proof, these are the cars that will be more desirable and command a premium. So with all that in mind it is my opinion that the most desired non flagship watercooled 911 in the future will be a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 3.8 manual then tip. So do your mods, enjoy your car, add the miles and then get a Hartech rebuild which will be far cheaper than an upgrade to a 997.2 or 991. :grin: a more enjoyable ownership and better long term financial option :thumb:

I don't have a 997, but a 996 C4S, mine is 200 miles away from 80k and I can't say I haven't had similar thoughts. My take on it is that I don't want a newer car, I love what I have, and have pumped a few bob into it over the almost 6 years since I bought it on the usual bits. I am going to keep it, put money away for a 3.9 Hartech conversion, and at some stage over the next 5-8 years, a respray, most of the rest has been done. I will then have a car to take me into and through retirement (am 56 now). In a funny way, I am looking forward to it hitting 100k miles, as it seems the world will regard it as worthless, so I can just enjoy the thing without worrying about it's value.
When I get rid, it will be because I have worn it out for the 2nd time and it will be scrap.
No point in spunking cash on more depreciation on a newer model, put that cash into keeping what you have tip top, a much better investment. In the future the 997 will be regarded as the last truly analogue 911, and you wouldn't want to cry into your beer saying " I used to have one of those".......... :nooo:

Shurv said:
I don't have a 997, but a 996 C4S, mine is 200 miles away from 80k and I can't say I haven't had similar thoughts. My take on it is that I don't want a newer car, I love what I have, and have pumped a few bob into it over the almost 6 years since I bought it on the usual bits. I am going to keep it, put money away for a 3.9 Hartech conversion, and at some stage over the next 5-8 years, a respray, most of the rest has been done. I will then have a car to take me into and through retirement (am 56 now). In a funny way, I am looking forward to it hitting 100k miles, as it seems the world will regard it as worthless, so I can just enjoy the thing without worrying about it's value.
When I get rid, it will be because I have worn it out for the 2nd time and it will be scrap.
No point in spunking cash on more depreciation on a newer model, put that cash into keeping what you have tip top, a much better investment. In the future the 997 will be regarded as the last truly analogue 911, and you wouldn't want to cry into your beer saying " I used to have one of those".......... :nooo:

A great plan for yours and I agree 100% with your advise. Perfect :thumb:

Similar situation here. I have a 997.1 with 75k on it currently on here for sale. Am lusting after a gt3 but am looking at £40k + to trade up.
Conscious of mileage on mine resale wise so sell now or keep & lightly modify.
One thing putting me off a gt3 is the low front splitter due to the number of speed humps where I live. It wouldn't last 5 minuites..
If I do keep I will forget about the mileage & value & enjoy to the full.

Phil 997 said:
Here's my 2p to consider. IMO the 997 is the best watercooled 911 it's the last shape before Porsche decided to take the 911 to grand tourer. There are so many mods available as it's a few years old now. The gen1 honestly is a more fun car as the gen2 got a bit refined and the dfi engine I don't like as much as the gen 1 engine. I really wouldn't worry about mileage as the big thing in the future with the gen1 will be has it been rebuilt by Hartech and made bullet proof, these are the cars that will be more desirable and command a premium. So with all that in mind it is my opinion that the most desired non flagship watercooled 911 in the future will be a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 3.8 manual then tip. So do your mods, enjoy your car, add the miles and then get a Hartech rebuild which will be far cheaper than an upgrade to a 997.2 or 991. :grin: a more enjoyable ownership and better long term financial option :thumb:

makes me feel a bit better about the route I have just gone down!
2005 C2S manual Hartech "bullet proofed" :D :D

Once you pass 80k you'll just be worrying about the 100k mark. Best get rid and buy a Kia, they've got a 100,000 mile warranty.

TBE997 said:
My car slowly but surely approaching the 80k miles mark (i'm on 77k at the moment and I recon ill hit 80k by the summer) and the last few weeks I have been thinking a lot whether I should sell her or not.

Im overall happy with the car but there are a few more upgrades that i would love to do but I start to question whether that's worth the money as it won't get that back in the future sell price (numeric shifter, bilstein, DSC, Alcantara interior etc).

The question is do it sell now(or next few months) or am I just to pessimistic on high mileage and resale value?

My dream car would be a 991 4S, but I think given I'm eyeing a new apartment, I'll probably need something in-between in the meantime should I sell (or obviously keep the car beyond 80k miles)

Sadly, it's a fact that the more you use a car the less it is valued by anyone else. Every time the first digit of an odometer ticks over the less desirable it becomes. :sad:

Given the amount of personalisation you've done already it would be a shame to let it go for a lot less than it stands you by selling it in the current market. It will take a hit at 80k but the upside is that the next 2-3k after that won't make much more difference. As has already been said, trading it for another stop gap car will be more expensive so I'd hang on to it, enjoy it and look forward to getting straight into a 991 asap.

Personally I'd also be putting the money aside rather than spending it on any further mods.

I think you are right, that would be the most sensible thing, try to keep the spend to a minimum and if i get to the 80k, might as well drive it a few more miles but before i get to the next landmark mileage point.

buying anything now, as you guys pointed out, would just mean more depreciation. just for the lols, my short list was:
- M4 Competition
- Nissan GTR
- Ftype R V8
they are all in the 40-50k range, would have focused on cars with sub 50k miles

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back